is this a good camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sleepwalker, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Tony S

Tony S Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like the font too. It's helping me put off getting new glasses for another couple of months. ;)

I actually think this camera would be a good choice for a starter popint and shoot. It's got plenty of features to learn with and you are not sinking a whole lot of money into the pit we call DSLR cameras. It's also a good size and that means you are more likely to carry it with you which means taking more pictures. I say get one and use it until you outgrow it and have learned more of what you would want to spend more money on. Heck, it's only $149... that's like two tanks of gas in the Buick.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you Tony .....it is a good price :)

3. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  4. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  5. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If that is the absolute limit of your budget and you plan on shooting mostly outdoors, I would say your first option would be better. For the rebel, you are spending 4 times as much for a much more limited focal length and a much larger camera that you will probably be less inclined to carry.

I would say walk before you run, just have realistic expectations. The P&S you linked earlier will not do well after dusk or indoors, but then again, neither will the Rebel.

To really surpass the quality of the P&S, you'll have to add better lenses and flash equipment(and possibly a tripod depending on what you shoot), which cost more than your total budget.

Go with the P&S. If you get the bug, start saving. Either way, even without a DSLR, there is no reason you can't post here for feedback and advice.

Good luck to you.

6. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you for your imput :)
    what you think get the T3 and a better lens?
    thanks

i would have to save for anything better
    dont know if i should wait or just go for it with the T3
    decisions decisions (coffee)

7. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought you said the T3 and the 18-55 were at the top of your budget? If you are willing to sacrifice any sort of zoom range, you could pick up a 50mm 1.8 in your budget range, but it may be a bit too tight for indoor shooting and a bit too short for outdoor shooting.

Unfortunately, there isn't a silver bullet. That's why most pro's have several lenses that cover different focal lengths. Also unfortunately, those lenses cost a few thousand a piece.

Let's start over. What is your actual budget? What do you want to take photos of? What do you want to do with your photos?

For instance, outdoor, daytime, to post on facebook is a completely different scenario than indoor sports to be printed and framed.

Also, do you have any friends that are into photography who would let you borrow gear occasionally, because that should influence what brand you go with, especially when starting out.

8. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    many years ago i had a 36mm with alot of bling i used it mainly to shoot B&W
    i let life get in the way of my picture taking now i want to get back into it
    the T3 and the lens is at my budgets end i dont know anything really about digital
    with my 35mm i did weddings and general all round photos mainly outside
    the more ive thought about the p&s it just doesnt "look" like a camera should
    anyway i would like to have as much control of the picture taking process as possible

9. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any gear left from the 35mm stuff? What manufacturer were you shooting with?

10. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its a canon i still have all my stuff

11. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, what do you still have? A lot of it may still be compatible. EF/EF-S lenses can still be used on the Rebels, so that should play into your considerations.

If you used to shoot weddings, you likely have better glass than the 18-55 you were thinking about if the lenses were after 1987.

12. sleepwalker

sleepwalker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i have a telephoto 50 to 200, 50mm, fish eye, all the filters....its a beautiful camera it handles really well
    it felt like a camera easy in the hands.... i may have the numbers mixed up on the lenses... its been close to 30 years ago