Is this a good choice of camera for my needs? First major purchase.

Willowlily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I have been reading in lots of articles on the subject and ended up coming back to this nikon d3300 camera allot:

Amazon.com : Nikon D3300 1533 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with Auto Focus-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens - Red : Camera & Photo

I realize this is very low cost but for me it's very expensive and I wouldn't be able to spend much. Trying to move up from a point and shoot.

I can't say I am photographer but have always loved taking photos with point and shoot cameras. I even had the opportunity to sell some of those shots when I was approached on a pet forum and they used them on product packaging. This was exciting but I know I'm very amateurish and never had any focus on truly learning the science or technique - just take what I like.

What I would like a better camera for is in part for pet portrait photography more as a side service when I pet sit and walk etc. So some what professional in a very casual manner. I am often not enjoying all the results of my camera now which someone gave to me, it was abused and missing buttons but I was happy and grateful to have something as my previous point and shoot was destroyed. Also I am a birder but I sadly can almost never get a good picture of the birds as they become too far away or move to quickly if close.

I am certain I still struggle when understanding the specs to look for and I'm not sure how to decide on what would be a worthy descision. I would very much appreciate your advise.

Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, that is a good choice.

I think it is a good choice. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a more expensive camera, but you don't need most of them anyway. The sensor is very good. The 18-55 mm kit lens is OK, although I ended up replacing mine with an 18-140mm. If you want to take bird pictures, the 18-55 mm will not work very well, you need a longer lens.

You might go direct to a retailer like Adorama, B&H or Cameta and you can get some free goodies to go with it for the same price (extra battery, case, SD card, cheap filters, etc.). It's not great stuff, but its functional and free.

You might also check some factory refurbished. I go this route a lot and have never had a problem. For example:
Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX II AF-S Lens (Black) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I like the D5XXX series better because of the atriculating screen, which I use a lot.

Last edited:
You might go direct to a retailer like Adorama, B&H or Cameta and you can get some free goodies to go with it for the same price (extra battery, case, SD card, cheap filters, etc.). It's not great stuff, but its functional and free.
Correction; those are not "free", because the consumer pays for everything. What you will end up with someday is a collection of filters, bags, tripods, and more that you've stopped using because you got better quality stuff later.

The case that is usually packaged with a beginner's kit is very small, to the point of being ridiculously too small. SD cards are available everywhere, and those cheap filters are not anything I would use. We have seen many people complaining of unsharp photos, and when they remove the cheap filter, their photos are sharp.

What I would like a better camera for is in part for pet portrait photography more as a side service when I pet sit and walk etc. Also I am a birder but I sadly can almost never get a good picture of the birds as they become too far away or move to quickly if close..
Please don't get sucked into one of those "100-piece" kits that are priced above your target price. The deal you (OP) linked to is good.

Someday you will want to get some other equipment, but take it slowly so you will have a good idea of what to get and why you're getting it.

For instance; you might want to get a 300mm lens for birding. When you're ready, do the research, do some price shopping, and get the one that best fits your intentions and your budget.

Yep. It's hard to beat a factory refurbished camera.

A note about the factory refurbished warranty.
Nikon warranties their refurbished cameras for only 90 days. If a warranty issue crops up in the 90 days you would send the camera to Nikon for repair.
Cameta Camera then warranties the camera for the remainder of the year.
If an issue crops up after 90 days and before a year has transpired you send the camera to Cameta Camera and Cameta arranges to have the camera repaired by a Nikon authorized independent repair shop .

Sure, a D5300 is a nice entry-level d-slr, with a very good sensor, and a flip screen LCD. It will outshoot a P&S camera that has a much smaller sensoer. The technical image quality potential of the D5300 is very high, with its 24-million pixel sensor and good dynamic range. The D5300 will accept many different types of F-mount lenses, lenses from as far back as the late 1950's! While it needs AF-S type lenses for autfocusing, those are now the majority of designs, and there are both low-priced and medium-priced and expensive AF-S lenses. This camera CAN however, use earlier AF and AF-D and even manual focus lenses, but those will have no autofocusing, and lenses without electrical contacts and a CPU in the lens (meaning manualk focusing lenses) will have NO light metering, and exposures will need to be set in the fully manual mode.

Let me see here. Amazon deal $446.95 camera and lens. Same deal from B & H $446.95 camera, lens, extra battery, 16 gig SD and Nikon Wireless adapter. Let me do the math.

$446.95 - $446.95 = $0

(camera and lens, extra battery, 16 gig SD card, Nikon Wireless adapter) - (camera and lens) = extra battery, 16 gig SD card and Nikon wireless adapter

Unless new math has changed things, this would seem to indicated that you get the extra battery, 16 gig SD card and Nikon wireless adapter for $0. In my definition, $0 = Free

Please note, I didn't advocate paying anything for the extra stuff, nor did I indicate is was great quality.

Thank you very much for all your advice.

So I will look more into the comparison of Nikon D3300 and D5300. It is good to know I am at least not fallen off base completely. I suspected maybe for the birds more or another lens would be needed especially for the small ones. If I could at the very least of all get a picture good enough to identify a small bird with my first purchase. I would be very happy to purchase needed extras to improve the quality. Maybe a later time. I do really enjoy using my photos to make gifts for my family and friends so it would be a nice investment. Certain birds are very flighty but I can certainly get a reasonable closeness most times but I don't always feel I can confirm the species if it shares similarities with another without looking longer.

I am not absolutely opposed to a refurbished model but I did have problems with a refurbished phone I bought before so it made me feel more inclined to something new. I have always had used camera so I won't deny a part of me just wants to know to have a camera brand new but I also know that may be foolish to an extent price wise...especially if I could maybe save money to get an accessory.

EDIT:

OK, so Iv been trying to do some reading and I think I might want to go for the Nikon D5300 since I plan on this being my camera for the foreseeable future at this time and if I get refurbished by manufacturer it might be worth it? I would possible want to invest in another lens at the same time though to assist with the birds. Trying to decide best place to buy though Iv never made a purchase like this. A part of me just wants to get it already as Iv been trying to come to a decision on buying a camera for over a year but trying to buy wisely. Will try to go over the different sellers.

Last edited:
(camera and lens, extra battery, 16 gig SD card, Nikon Wireless adapter) - (camera and lens) = extra battery, 16 gig SD card and Nikon wireless adapter
Hey, you forgot the bag and cheap filters!

..I won't deny a part of me just wants to know to have a camera brand new but I also know that may be foolish to an extent price wise...
Not at all! I've bought two cameras, and both new, even though I know about refurbished. In fact, my second one I bought from B&H, with their "free" second battery, SD card, and Nikon wireless adapter all included at no extra charge.

I am not absolutely opposed to a refurbished model but I did have problems with a refurbished phone I bought before so it made me feel more inclined to something new.

I bought my DSLR brand new and about 60 minutes into ownership it would not turn on. I had to send it in to Canon to get fixed. When I switched to my iPhone 5s I got 2 messed up brand new phones in a row.

On the other had I bought a refurbished iPod touch in 2009 and my mom still uses it.

Most of my photo kit is used, it's the only way I can afford it (and in the case of my vintage cameras I wasn't alive in the 1960s to but it new). It's all a matter of finding someone who takes care of their gear, which does require some patience.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Yes, either way I should think I would want some sort of assistance if something went wrong with it right away.

I read online to watch best buy website because they have been putting the nikon d5300 on sale. Do you think it would be good to buy there or is there a preferred shopping site? I tried looking on the website but as I am on my phone I am having difficulties with the mobile version. It looked like it was listed at 599.00 but I was trying to confirm what this came with and if it was new as well as other important things like if warranty is availble. I just do not wish to make any mistakes in purchasing, this would be allot of money for me to put towards something mainly for enjoyment purposes.

Many thanks again for everyone's advise.

Great and you can get to the birding. I have a d3200 laying around that I MIGHT be sble to sell you if you are interested ( i have a kit lens, a yelephoto zoom you could use for birding and even an 85mm 1.8g but thats seperate)

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I was looking at some of the questions and answers and those posted reviews. They seem to say you are correct Derrel but I'm sure I could contact them to specify, thank you.

I have very long hours at work but I will try to look more at the different pricings availible on my day off to find the best offer. I would think going in the physical location would be more costly but I would maybe like to see if they have any cameras displayed at least. I haven't looked into the prices of the extras as well. These I may need or want to purchase right away such as additional lens, bag, memory card or what may not be included in the different package selections.

So many more things to research. I want to say thanks for helping me everyone. I appreciate all your time. Iv tried to do allot of reading on the subject but it helps to hear if you are going on the right track.

Krell0, I would just worry about making such a large purchase without warranty or security if I need assistance or such matters. I would not want to be a bother. Thank you for your offering to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back