Is this a good D90 package?

jands

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this package on Ebay... NEW USA Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body + 5 Lens Kit - eBay (item 140290089247 end time Jan-18-09 06:28:13 PST)

I am wondering if it is a good buy. I am mainly concerned about the lenses that are included. I priced the lenses separately and this seems like it's worth the money, but I just noticed the 70-300mm isn't VR. Is this a big deal? Is this too many lenses to start out with?

Would it be better to drop this package and just buy a good all-around lens plus the D90 body? If so, what would you recommend? I've read that the Nikon 18-200mm VR DX was good, but it's a bit out of my price range.

Also, are the screw on telephoto and wide angle lenses worth anything? Or are they pretty much crap?

I generally like taking macros of nature, but also really like landscapes. I also want to be able take good photos of family and friends, and the dogs. Does that sound too greedy? LOL.

Sorry if that's a lot of questions. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Personally, I would steer clear of this offer. Let me explain why...
Although the kit comes with a few lenses and all of the accessories tht are included in the Nikon kit, most of the other stuff is crap. The tripod is flimsy whereas it probably isn't designed to hold the camera body with the lenses in the kit (weight wise), the filters are not quality filters and they will only degrade the photos you take with them (you get 5 filters but have different size lenses), none of the lenses are VR lenses and the 2x telephoto lens is just about useless especially when you have the 70-300, the wide angle screw-on adapter is just as useless as the telephoto screw-on adapter, the no name flash may be okay but you will probably want to know the power of it and ease of use with such an important piece of your camera system. I am just pointing out that you are looking at a very good camera and system to go with, but with all the crap quality "kit" stuff they are offering, it will not only degrade the final results of your shots, but it will also deplete your wallet with very sad results. your money could be much better spent on stuff that will make you happy in the long run.

If you are shopping, part of the tools you need to use is www.resellerratings.com and pay attention to the feedback on the reviews. Other peoples experiences are usually a good guide to see if the store in question is trustworthy. I looked them up and although they have a 9.80 out of 10 rating, they only have 1 feedback viewable and it's listed by a guy named GONE TOMORROW....Good Luck with whatever you decide.

I WILL SAT THIS ONE TIME.

USE CAMETA CAMERA ON EBAY. NOBODY ELSE.

Everything else is a scam.

I WILL SAT THIS ONE TIME.

USE CAMETA CAMERA ON EBAY. NOBODY ELSE.

Everything else is a scam.

I am not sure about everyone else being a scam but I agree about Cameta, they are great :thumbup::thumbup:

Here is a Cameta package with the 18-200 for a little less than the package you were looking at.
Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body+18-200mm Lens

The kit you were looking at is filled with junk. The 50mm is good but you can always save up for that.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That link in the other post is to the Sigma 18-200

Here is a link with the 18-200 VR Nikkor lens, which is a little more $$$.

D90 18-200VR

If you go down the page a little they have a link to all of their D90 kits. That might be a good place to look around. Good luck!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Heck, the 70-300 Nikkor lens goes for, what, about $600- 650 just by itself... I wouldn't even doubt that the camera is used...

I am just getting a D90 and 16-85.

Cameta camera on Ebay is pretty good. But right now you can get a better deal at B&H online.

D90 body $840, 18-55 VR lens $144, 55-200 VR lens $198, SB-600 flash $173, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens $110. Total $1,465. That is only $65 more for much better items. The zoom lenses are the VR version (not the cheaper ones in the auction), the flash in the ebay ad is not even in the same league as the sb-600.

Doh misread the auction. They include the 70-300 not the 55-200. If you choose the same 70-300 as in ebay from b&h instead of the 55-200VR. The price will be the same as the ebay price (take off $55 from price above). And you still get the VR of the 18-55 the autcion doesn't, and you get the SB-600 which like I said is night and day better than that thing from ebay.

I have had really good experiences with Cameta on Ebay but go to www.photovideo.com and order the stuff seperately. Everything else in that kit on ebay you do not want!! The battery, charger, software, strap that comes with the camera. They just make it look like they are adding a bunch of stuff.

Last edited:
They are selling the cheap (like $150 US :er:) version. The 70-300mm VR is about $450 US new.
Wow... somebody outta tell Best Buy! Thanks for the post as it made me look again. I looked at them at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. They have them for $630USD on their Web site:

Nikon - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Telephoto Lens - 2161

For giggles, I just looked at B&H and they have them retail for $550 and grey market for $100 less.

Nikon | 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF-S VR Autofocus Lens - Black | 2161

For $445, that's getting close to my high end budget, but I don't think I comfortable with a grey market unit, though...:(

That $150 for a used unit sounds even nicer :)

I just bought the 70-300mm VR version from B&H for $449 Us version (add to your cart for the lower price). The gray market was only $5 less so I didn't even consider it. That Best Buy price is crazy :crazy:. I think that what the lens cost when it came out.

Note to the OP some of the B&H D90 kits look pretty cheap but some are out of stock. They pretty much killed every reputable dealer on price on the 7 items I bought last week.

I found this package on Ebay... NEW USA Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body + 5 Lens Kit - eBay (item 140290089247 end time Jan-18-09 06:28:13 PST)

I am wondering if it is a good buy. I am mainly concerned about the lenses that are included. I priced the lenses separately and this seems like it's worth the money, but I just noticed the 70-300mm isn't VR. Is this a big deal? Is this too many lenses to start out with?

Would it be better to drop this package and just buy a good all-around lens plus the D90 body? If so, what would you recommend? I've read that the Nikon 18-200mm VR DX was good, but it's a bit out of my price range.

Also, are the screw on telephoto and wide angle lenses worth anything? Or are they pretty much crap?

I generally like taking macros of nature, but also really like landscapes. I also want to be able take good photos of family and friends, and the dogs. Does that sound too greedy? LOL.

Sorry if that's a lot of questions. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I bought a d80 package from getitdigial. They were a good seller, but the package is crap. Most everything you get is not worth it. The tripod sucks. I saved some money using Live Cashback (caught a 25% back deal), or otherwise I could have done better elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm gonna steer clear of the ebay package and think I am going with the D90 + Nikon 18-105mm VR Lens. It's out of stock at B&H, but I can get it somewhere else, or just wait. Anyone have experience with the 18-105mm? I've read good reviews so far. I was thinking of also getting the 50mm f/1.8D, but I'm not sure if really need too. What do you guys think? Any other lenses I should consider getting along with the 18-105mm? I'm still new at all this. I don't want to have to end up replacing lenses in the near future(to get a good range of photos), but I don't want to get more than I need. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back