is this a good flash?

If you were to pick up and examine say a $90 Sunpack 383 and a 6-10 year old Nikon SB-28 or SB-80DX for the same price you will be amazed in the vast difference in build quality and features. The Sunpack is very light and flimsy. It lacks a zoom head and standard PC connection. But, the Sunpack I believe a better value than the ebay flash mentioned here. It's just basic eco-101. You get what you pay for. A new SB-800 my be $350, but will out perform and out last cheaper flashes by a very large margin. Used high end flashes are a bargain for the Strobist shooter, and the SB-28 is one of the Strobist mainstays. A lot of value for the dollar even after the wear and tear of it's original owner.

You can get Vivitar 283's for about $35 on ebay. They're considered tanks and are very reliable and durable. Plus, they're putting out as much power as most modern speed lights iirc.

You get what you pay for also means you get a brand name that you pay for.

holy cow, i learned more watching that then the two semesters of photography i took...thank you very much!

This place is amazing. You will learn a crap load of information. Just isn't in any way as laid back as ls1

lmfao....i thought i recalled your name! that's weird...never thought I'd see and ls1 memeber on another site that wasn't car related.

DSC_0460copy.jpg

Still LS related photography haha

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-SB28-SB-28-w-case-TTL-Flash-f672n_W0QQitemZ310090952193QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for the tip!!! how do i find a way to make work with my hot shoe?
I doubt if you can, at least not with any dedication. But do stick to a known brand if you're not buying a Sony flash, like Metz and Sunpak. You also have to get a unit that's dedicated to your camera.
Try this! Someone is selling his whole outfit.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/aka-ranma

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get Vivitar 283's for about $35 on ebay. They're considered tanks and are very reliable and durable. Plus, they're putting out as much power as most modern speed lights iirc.

You get what you pay for also means you get a brand name that you pay for.

I admit the Vivitar is a little tougher than the Sunpack. The 283 does have a rap of breaking off it's shoe foot, also older units can have a danderiously high trigger voltage that can fry a modern cameras inards. I still prefer the build and features of the SB series. A zoom head is a must for most of my work, and there durability is simply amazing. I prefer the SB-28 and 80DX for Strobist work. The SB-80DX has a slightly longer zoom range (out to 135 as opposed to 85) and can have the standby feature toggled off for use with Pocket Wizards. Otherwise the SB-28 and 28DX are just about identical. Still, for $25-35 used, a lot of light can be had by the Vivitar and Sunpack flashes.

The Vivitars have zoom heads. It's manual zoom and it's marked wide, normal, and long, but they have the capability.

I doubt if you can, at least not with any dedication. But do stick to a known brand if you're not buying a Sony flash, like Metz and Sunpak. You also have to get a unit that's dedicated to your camera.
Try this! Someone is selling his whole outfit.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/aka-ranma

what about using a stretchy sync cable? I really never planned on putting the flash on the camera, actually just wanted to have somethign that I could attach with a sync cord and hold the flash out to the side for some directional light?

what about using a stretchy sync cable? I really never planned on putting the flash on the camera, actually just wanted to have somethign that I could attach with a sync cord and hold the flash out to the side for some directional light?
If you can find one made for your hot shoe mount. Remember, it's different from the other brands. Even though I use the Maxxum system, I never looked to see if there was an adapter available. I've always made sure a camera had a PC contact before I bought it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back