Is this a good lens?

Harpua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fotki.com
I really want a zoom lens. I really know next to nothing about this stuff though. I have been looking online (there are no stores close to me that I can get to) and trying to educate myself, but most of what I am looking at is Greek to me.

Can you tell me if this is a decent lens? The price is right, but tht makes me a little worried. Why is it so inexpensive?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is the lens

This is a pretty good zoom lens, i know a few people who have it. Its probably the price it is partly because you can get it as a kit lens when you buy a D70/D50 and its also not a very fast lens. An alternative is the sigma 70-300 super macro II, which i think is the same speed but has the bonus of being able to do macro.

Archangel said:
This is a pretty good zoom lens, i know a few people who have it. Its probably the price it is partly because you can get it as a kit lens when you buy a D70/D50 and its also not a very fast lens. An alternative is the sigma 70-300 super macro II, which i think is the same speed but has the bonus of being able to do macro.
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to not sticking with the Nikon brand name? Will everything still work the same on the camera if I go with a third party lens?

Harpua said:
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to not sticking with the Nikon brand name? Will everything still work the same on the camera if I go with a third party lens?

As long as the lens is designed for the camera then it should work. Sigma and Tamron make some very good lenses for Nikon which are worth investigating. All manufacturers produce cheaper low end lenses as well, so an "expensive" Sigma may be better than a "cheap" Nikon lens.

I'd personally not go for that lens as it is an ambitious zoom length at the expense of light admission. i.e. it's a bit dark. If you're shooting on a d70, then perhaps look at zoom with a lower range which may be better for you... or not!

Maybe something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...571&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Rob

Hi Rob,

I am a bit confused. The lens you linked to is a 17-70. The one I was asking about was a 70-300. Sorry for the newbie question, but I am not sure how they are comparable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back