Is this a good memory card?

Ya that is what I was planning on shooting first.

ahh well don't overly worry about RAW yet then. I have found that its best to get a decent grip with JPEG first - especially if your teaching yourself. Starting with RAW is just a bit too much since all RAW files need editing whilst JPEG don't need as much (for a well exposed shot).

Not at all true. A RAW file, shoot with "color modes" will have the same applied if run through Nikons Capture NX. JPEG's can be saved directly from this.

Now certainly if you open a RAW file in Photoshop, it will discard those color settings and give you the straight RAW file without the benefit of "saturation" or "sharpening" done in camera. So essentially you can get the same "wowee" effects on a RAW file as you would on a regular JPEG with the same amount of work involved (Open File, Save As, Upload or Print).

Ya that is what I was planning on shooting first.

While there is nothing wrong with shooting in JPEG, I've found that there are more than a few photographs that I shot when I was just getting my footing with my D50 that I would have loved to have shot in RAW format so that I could go back and make some edits on them that are MUCH easier to do when working from a RAW file.

And how many jpeg pictures can a 16gb hold and a 4 gb?

While there is nothing wrong with shooting in JPEG, I've found that there are more than a few photographs that I shot when I was just getting my footing with my D50 that I would have loved to have shot in RAW format so that I could go back and make some edits on them that are MUCH easier to do when working from a RAW file.
Hit the nail on the head with that comment.

You should be able to shoot RAW + JPEG at the same time as well. Save your RAW files in another folder somewhere to go back on later. Storage is cheap.

I get 197 RAW images on a 4GB card at 12MP / image. With 3x 4GB + 2x 2GB cards that gives me ~788 images before I need to upload to computer. Then if I were to bring the D80 with 16GB of memory........... :mrgreen:

I use a SANDISK 8GB Extremem III. This was before I saw how ridiculous TRANSCEND's prices were. I paid 60 bucks for it, something I obviously regret. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the TRASCEND in a heartbeat.

As for how many photos, the 4GB Kingston I have (which I bought for like 15 bucks), holds no more than 250 or so RAW files, the 8GB SANDISK holds 500 or so RAW files. So I would assume the 16GB shooting 12-Bit Compressed Lossy files would hold no more than 1000 or so RAW files, and maybe 700/800 RAW+JPEG files. To me, that is one reason to get the 16GB card, so that you CAN shoot in RAW+JPEG. This way, if you dont need to edit the file beyond some light over/under exposure, you can easily do it in Photoshop. If you need to adjust white balance or more aggressive exposure compensation - fire up Capture NX and go to town on the RAW file.

Ands! I like the transcend 16gb with card reader but in the description it's like with cameras having up to 10mp the camera industry is improving or w.e. so does that mean I won't have great quality still? Thanks.

A memory card has ZERO to do with the image quality performance of the camera. It is a storage device. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Ok and it's a good quality,fast, and is easily found on the computer correct.

I don't know what youre asking. Honestly a memory card for a hobbyist shooter should be the last thing you should worry about. They all do the same thing, only some slightly faster than others. For the MAJORITY of shooters, these speeds are meaningless and have no bearing on their day to day photography pursuits. ANY memory card you choose will do exactly what you want it to do. The only question should be how much do you want to spend and how large the card is.

I am thinking of getting this INKD90KB Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera/ Lens Kit, with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens, 8GB SD Memory Card,Spare EN-EL3e Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Camera Case, USB 2.0 SD Card Reader, Professional Lens Cleaning Kit because it's about the same price as just getting the camera lens and 16gb card + reader and from adorama you also get an extra battery a case and cleaning kit. Is it worth it and is the stuff good quality or cheapy stuff? Thanks.

I have a few Sandisk Ultra II's and Extreme III's, but the ones I prefer to use are my PNY Optima Pro's. They are great cards (PNY has been around a little while in the computer memory business), and they download alot faster to the computer. To me, anyway, the Sandisks seem to take forever compared to the PNY's when comes time for download.

As far as shooting, unless you are on the trigger full-bore all the time, you are not going to notice a difference between most cards.

Oh cool. What do you guys think of that kit at adorama?

Most reactions

Back