Is this a good tripod set?

sneak3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there!

Im about to buy my first tripod + ballhead set. Im looking for something light and small.

I was recommended the carbon series from manfrotto with a manfrotto ballhead.

Im in between these options:

tripod manfrotto 190CXPRO 3/4:
Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 190CXPRO3
or
Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 190CXPRO4

ballhead 496/498C2
Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR Plate 496RC2
or
Manfrotto 498RC2 Midi Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR Plate 498RC2

What do you think? Would these options make a good combo? Any other suggestions? Maybe from another brand?

Just remember Im not looking for ultra super stability. Im an amateur photographer who wishes to travel lightly.

Thank you!

I have the 190CXPRO3 legs with an 054 head and it works very well. I prefer the 3-section legs because they normally tend to be a bit more stable than 4-section legs. They are, however, slightly longer when collapsed. Either of those heads are probably OK however I prefer one with a level vial on it.

I have the same set-up as Scott and I agree with his comments; any of the combinations you've posted will be okay, but those heads will be a little light if you're putting a gripped body and big, 2.8 zoom on it.

My heaviest lenses are probably the 70-300, 17-50 and 10-20. I dont have a grip too.

Should I go with the 496 then? Cheaper, so in the future, if I ever get a grip and a 70-200, I can get a tougher head?

You can do one of two things:
1. You can buy a lightweight head now and a stronger head in the future, knowing the whole time that at some point you WILL get a stronger head.
2. You can get the strong head now and skip getting the lightweight head.

Most people get the cheaper version to start, a better one later, and the one they should have started with third. Doesn't matter what it is; tripod, head, camera body, lens, whatever. It's just the way people act.

Those will do just fine until you get a big enough lens that has a mount point on it. Then you'll want a gimbal head.

Thanks guys! Ill go with the 496 ballhead then. I guess there are not real advantages for the 498 except it holds more weight.

I have the 190CXPRO3 legs with an 054 head and it works very well. I prefer the 3-section legs because they normally tend to be a bit more stable than 4-section legs. They are, however, slightly longer when collapsed. Either of those heads are probably OK however I prefer one with a level vial on it.

Now you've got me thinking...Im not sure which one I should pick. They weight basically the same. The core differences are exactly what you said. It's 8 cm less for the 4 section and that's it. No other different specs. I would want to get the smaller one but I dont want to give up too much in stability too.

How do know how much would the 4 section compromise the overall sturdiness?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Ill go with the 496 ballhead then. I guess there are not real advantages for the 498 except it holds more weight.

Now you've got me thinking...Im not sure which one I should pick. They weight basically the same. The core differences are exactly what you said. It's 8 cm less for the 4 section and that's it. No other different specs. I would want to get the smaller one but I dont want to give up too much in stability too.

How do know how much would the 4 section compromise the overall sturdiness?

Keep in mind that the great thing about these modular tripods is that they're a bit like camera bodies and lenses.... if the head isn't meeting your needs, you can always swap it out for a different head without having to replace the legs.

I have a combination of tripods and heads that I can swap as the situation requires.

I have a very solid tripod, but it's also very heavy and not ideal for a hike. I have a complimentary feather-weight tripod but it's not nearly as solid. As long as it isn't windy (which will make a tripod vibrate unless it's a VERY solid tripod) you can use a self-timer or remote release. But ALSO keep in mind that if you're having issues with vibrations you can shorten the legs to make most any tripod more solid.

If & when you start getting heavy lenses, you'll want stronger ball-heads, but that's the benefit of modular tripod systems.

Guys, some people say I might regret picking the 190CX over the 055CX.. Im 5,9 (1,79m). What do you think? It's a 100$ more expensive, 7 cm longer folded, 18 cm higher, 300 g heavier. Will I REALLY benefit from those additional 18 cm over the 190CX 122 cm?

Guys, some people say I might regret picking the 190CX over the 055CX.. Im 5,9 (1,79m). What do you think? It's a 100$ more expensive, 7 cm longer folded, 18 cm higher, 300 g heavier. Will I REALLY benefit from those additional 18 cm over the 190CX 122 cm?

How tall are you?

You can make the tripod shorter but taller is problematic.

Measure twice- cut once; think twice- buy once. ;)

There's a sizing guideline for tripods which suggests that with legs full extended and the center post half-extended, the tripod should support your camera so that the viewfinder height is level with your eyes. Keep in mind the tripod height is JUST to the top of the platform. You'll have a head (such as a ball head) on that and then you'll have a camera on top of that. The actually viewfinder height might be about 7" above the height of the tripod.

The reason for only half-extending the center post is because it lets you adjust the tripod to take photographs of subjects both above and below you without you needing to get on your toes or crouch down low.

While that's a recommended approach to sizing the tripod, I seldom use my tripod with legs fully extended... it's more solid if the legs are not fully extended and the camera height creates a perspective for the person viewing the shot. I often want a lens to be about chest-level rather than eye-level. The sizing is really about saving you from fatigue on those occasions when you need to use the tripod for long-ish periods while standing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back