Is This a White Winged Dove?

Deeger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Saw this while out this morning, sorry for the bad quality, I cropped it to get a closer view.

Can anyone help, is this a white winged dove?

Attachments

• $dove.jpg
    $dove.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 165
Could be, but it is a bit hard to identify it from this picture. Do you have any more images from different angles?

WesternGuy

I'd guess mourning dove, though its hard to see for sure from that pic

^+1 to what Aloicious said.

I *think* the white you're seeing is on its underbelly, not on its wing. The white-winged dove has a very distinct white edge on its wing. Knowing where you live might help with ID as well--the only area where the white-winged dove is likely seems to be the extreme southwestern parts of Texas on across to deep southern California and down into Mexico just a little; or the Caribbean.
Another angle where the wing can be seen better would help tremendously, but I'm betting it's just a mourning dove.

Definatly a mourning dove.

Thanks everyone. I agree. Sure looks like a mourning dove. No other pictures really, this one was cropped and really not great, I know. I just spotted it in a tree in the distance while I was spending some time with a pair of Mallards.

I am a beginner with birds, so it's nice to come here and see replies and support, I have bought two books, its just nice to post here for reassurance. I am so passionate and will have many more bird and wildlife photos to share and post here moving forward.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back