is this an ok lens?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually, I've used the Tamron on a Pentax K100D and it's fantastic! If the Canon mount is equal, it's a great starter lens.

And it *is* a Canon AF lens - it's the first option on there, along with Minolta , Pentax, and something else.

Jake,
The Canon 75-300 although not IS, is a great lens. It was one of the first lenses that I purchased when I first got into photography. It's a pretty cheap build, but I found the glass is great. If you look at a post I just posted about my first photos that I've ever posted on this site, most of them were taking with that very lens and the detail is great (with a tripod).

hope that helps. If you get the Tamron and you don't like it you can always sell it on eBay!

The extent the focal length of your lense so you get more "zoom", 2x in that case. But you would also lose 2 stops of light with that one so you would have trouble in low light. Those are mainly to be used with fast "L" lenses.

jake, I own the Tamron you speak of and it is a decent lens. And it is an EF lens. I get great photos from mine. It has drawacks (any cheap lens will). The 2 that bother me the most are:
1) No zoom lock. It creaps like crazy.
2) The front element rotates when focusing making polarizer and GND filters a pain to use.

Derrick

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124625

I took the photos in this thread with this Tamron on a 400D body.

That Canon 75-300 is OK but nothing fascinating. Are you just asking if a lense is ok or are you actually going to be purchasing something?

What is your budget and don't you want something that is good or even great for the money you can spend?

This lens will most likely be more for fun than anything else. Where I want to focus my main photography will be portraits... weddings.. things of that nature.

I do love to take nature shots as you can tell from my site, and would love to sell my prints one day, but for now the lens will be used for pictures to decorate the walls with.. for me.

I want an inexpensive good lens, not a cheap one..
Does that kinda answer your question?

your 28-135 will give you better results in weddings than the 75-300. Gotta realize that weddings are low lit so you want fast glass.

85mm f/1.8 is a good wedding lense. That and your 28-135 could work.

50mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
28-135

What is your budget?

your 28-135 will give you better results in weddings than the 75-300. Gotta realize that weddings are low lit so you want fast glass.

85mm f/1.8 is a good wedding lense. That and your 28-135 could work.

50mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
28-135

What is your budget?

well, I wasn't thinking of using the 75-300 at a wedding shoot. I am new to photography, but have done a lot of research. I know I want a good mid range lens for weddings and such events.. preferably with IS

I also know I do want the 50mm f/1.8..

I haven't heard much on the 85mm lens though.. So I will take that one into consideration.

Right now my budget is about $300. I would like a telephoto of some sort for my cruise in 3 weeks, but I also do not want to have to carry around 2 lenses on the ship as well.

eventually I would like a good wide-angle lens and a fish eye... I like the fish eye look personally and I think it will be fun to shoot with.

IMO, if you are going to carry only one lens on your trip. Your 28-135mm may not a bad choice. It is for sure much wider than the telephoto zoom of 70-300mm. (Of course, I would prefer a lens even wider then 28mm (take the crop factor into account).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back