Is this flash any good?

zombiemann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Vivitar "Auto Focus Zoom 730AFC" flash that I am wondering about. 90% of my photography is outdoors/landscape/nature and I haven't really had a "need" for a flash. I don't remember where I got the flash, I think it came as part of a "lot" of stuff I purchased. Since I don't know much about flashes I don't really have a metric to judge if it is any good. It fits on my T2i's shoe, fires when I hit the shutter, that is all I really know. Any input or advice? I don't use a flash often enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars, so will this do an adequate job for the rare occasion I need one?

It says it's a TTL flash, but it's probably a primitive TTL flash.

What lenses do you have available? Can you set your camera up in the same spot on the same subject and shoot the flash with your camera on f/3.5, and then at f/5.6 to see if the exposure changes? If it stays the same, it means the flash is changing its output in line with the T2i's metering.

In regards to lenses I have the kit EFS 18-55mm and EF 75-300 that came bundled with the camera, I also have a 28-90 kit lens that came with my Rebel K2 and a "Canon Zoom Lens EF 80-200" (which is an oddball one because its 52mm diameter instead of 58). I will try the 2 shots in a bit and report back. Thanks for the test method

ok, I set up my tripod and set my camera to Av. When set at f3.5 the exposure was .6" and at F5.6 it was 1.6. There is also a notable difference visually in the two images. I am going to take it to mean that this flash probably won't work very well ?

zombiemann said:
ok, I set up my tripod and set my camera to Av. When set at f3.5 the exposure was .6" and at F5.6 it was 1.6. There is also a notable difference visually in the two images. I am going to take it to mean that this flash probably won't work very well ?

Set it on manual. You can't use flash effectively on Av mode. Set your camera like this:

1/125, f/3.5, ISO 200

Then change your aperture to 5.6 but leave all the other settings

Most reactions

Back