IS THIS FOR REAL?

I think I would pass on that. The same filter is $211 at B&H... A 60% discount falls into the "too good to be true" category - and you know what they say about those kinds of deals...

EDIT
It is probably actually the non-coated regular version, which is only $80 at B&H - so they're getting an extra $10 out of you and you're not getting what you thought you were.

...That's what I think anyway.

Well, Honk Kong is *the* capitol of cheap photo equipment world-wide. The reason this filter is 60% lower than the price at a reputable USA dealer is that A) it is being sold through Hong Kong, and B) the retail mark-up on filters is typically higher than the markup on anything else, except some camera bags.

Filters can be purchased in large lots at ridiculously low wholesale prices. A filter really is just a thin, flat piece of good glass, with some coatings, and a filter mounting ring and a retaining system. It is a very low-tech, easy-to-make item with incredibly high production numbers per day.

On most other photo goods, huge price reductions are tip-offs to scams, but filters are sort of like diamond earrings: 1.5 total carat weight earrings, $3499 everyday price. Valentine's day price $2899. Christmas price $2499. Ross-Simon's year-end close out price, $1499. It all comes down to how much profit the dealer wants to make from filters.

i think its fine. Powerseller. And your not paying any import tax. At least thats the idea. If customs catch it (prob wont) you will have to pay VAT on it of some sort.

I dont think it is the non coated version either. It says DMC on the listing which is 'digital multi coating'

Filters are one thing that fall well outside the normal rule of don't buy cheaper than B&H. I have almost exclusively bought filters from ebay and every single one was the real deal from the $80 Hoya polariser which retails for $210 on B&H to the $85 B+H XS-Pro UV filter that retails for $130 on B&H. The differences between the filter ranges are quite easily visible in the coatings and construction, and I have yet to get a filter which was fake or a different product rebadged.

What you have here is sellers with buying power from the local market, no costs, and no incentive to push "accessories" at inflated prices.

Thanks for the input. I need a circ but am saving for the 70-200 2.8IS. this may have to be purchased first. cheers

I have bought all of my hoya HD filters from hong kong via ebay. MY CPL as just around $100 and well over $225 at the us stores. It's perfectly fine and I would do it again today if I needed another one.

THe only issue is time. It will take 3 - 4 weeks somtimes to get to you. I have had others come in a couple of weeks and some take 4. I am willing to wait for that big of a price cut.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back