Is this how it's normally done!?

RabbitCatCat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I uploaded photos to facebook and tagged the people, the sister of the bride who is also a photographer, downloaded the photos and re-uploaded them on her page.. even though she was tagged. Is this weird or is it just me?

Since I would never use face book for any kind of professional usage, I can't answer that question! But that sounds like what I have seen sometimes... if you make them available, they will take 'em!

I'm not using it for professional purposes but they are still my photos, and I thought it was odd.

I'm not using it for professional purposes but they are still my photos, and I thought it was odd.

People do it more than you think, which is why I watermark any work I do for others when I upload to facebook. Your best bet is contact the bride and explain that you wish for her to either take down the photo, or put a direct link to your profile within the image. Otherwise, you can just flag the photo and state that it is yours and FB will take it down for you.

MY DIL does the same to me, not even a, "thanks dad". LOL

Don't put anything of facebook you are concerned about losing. The images I put up there typically weigh in at 60-75Kb and run 800 pixels on the long edge. Good luck doing anything useful with that (and BTW, it's NOT just facebook; if your images are on line, people will "use" them!).

Ok thank you everyone for those suggestions.. huh who would have thought that, I just upload the huge file sizes on facebook.. I better start resizing them.

Ok thank you everyone for those suggestions.. huh who would have thought that, I just upload the huge file sizes on facebook.. I better start resizing them.

No need - Facebook resizes them for you.

No need - Facebook resizes them for you.

But they don't lose all of their quality. I'd export for a low res/half quality for fb

And according to Facebook's terms and conditions once you upload them to Facebook then also a owns then. And Facebook has does not care if other people download them.

And according to Facebook's terms and conditions once you upload them to Facebook then also a owns then. And Facebook has does not care if other people download them.

This is false.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/copyright.php

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
  • For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Never load anything to facebook ever that you ever want to use for any commercial purposes.

When you upload an image to facebook, they get an unlimited license to resell or distribute or modify it any way they want. Which includes letting other users repost things. Once you uploaded it to facebook, you actually didn't own exclusive copyright on the image anymore, so it wasn't, in fact, necessarily illegal for the bride to repost it, and there's not necessarily anything you can do about it (facebook could stop her if they wanted, but not you).

Facebook could even sell your photos to an advertising agency and put some advertising text and a logo in there in the corner and plaster it up on a billboard to sell Coke. And you couldn't do anything about it. Etc. etc.

If you must post things online, use your own website, or some site that doesn't claim a license on your work, like Flickr, and ALSO watermark and/or reduce to a uselessly small resolution for printing (<1000 pixels long edge)

@ poster above me:

1) It says that their license ends when you remove content. This is very ambiguous as to what happens to any license they sold or transferred before then. I.e., you post something, they sell it to an ad agency, then you take it down. FB then no longer has a license, but does the ad agency have the right to use it? Possibly. It is unclear.

2) The OP mentioned the bride reposting images that had been shared with her. If she didn't take them down, then even if the OP did, FB would still continue to hold a license on them until/if she felt like taking them down. Which she wouldn't be obligated to do if FB didn't feel like forcing her to.

Just don't do it.

As said and needs repeating, this is False!!!!!!!

On more than one occasion Facebook has helped me to retrieve my property.

To the OP, I'd ask the 'taker' to either credit you as the photographer or take them down. If you don't get compliance send a message through the correct channels to FB.

Most reactions

Back