Is this Lens deal likely a scam?

purpleroan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am currently looking to purchase the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM lens, and I found one on ebay for approximately $1,800. It is advertised as brand new, and has a US warranty. This would save me around $200, but I can't help but be suspicious. The seller has a 100% positive feedback rating, and not a single negative review. I asked how he is able to sell his lenses for so low, and he said that he is not an authorized Canon dealer and so he can decide his own prices. I asked the origin of his lens, and he claims it came from a retailer but he did not receive a sales receipt. Does this sound like a believable story, and would you recommend purchasing this particular lens? I would be suspect he is lying, but the reviews from other people are nothing but spectacular. Any advice is appreciated!

Not an item that would push me to try and save some 10%, especially under those conditions. Only spectacular reviews are also suspect to me.

Does the seller's feedback indicate they sell a lot of photo gear? Or is this a one-of? If it's the latter, I'd run like Forrest Gump.

I usually dont really bother with checking if they are legit or not, i just is keep all the conversations, transactions, make them specify the exact condition of the product and such in case things turn sour. Either Ebay will take care of the dispute and refund me or i bring out the lawyers and i get refunded either way for all the damages. But if you dont want to deal with any of that, then buy from a seller such as sparky mentioned.

who buys expensive warranty items through ebay?

Buy it. Let us know how it goes.
Don't buy it. It's a scam.

If you're unsure about my post, move past it. Same as this ebay listing.

If it sounds too good...
That awkward moment when you realize there was no 'free candy' in the van, notwithstanding the spray-painted offer professing the contrary....

So this is really not a scam per-say, what the seller is selling is known as a gray market item. And it is true he is not an authorized dealer so he can set is own price and this is because the lens has been imported from another country, it will not have a Canon USA warranty, meaning if you need warranty work and you call Canon USA they will not touch the lens and you will have to pay for repairs out of pocket.

With that said if you are comfortable with buying a $2,000 lens and for some reason the focus motor stops or whatever are you willing to pay $1,000+ to fix it setting you back well over $800(repair - $200 savings you think your getting) so now you have invested $2,800+ into a lens that would have only cost $2,000 and you will never recover the $800 if you ever want to sell it.

Save your money for a few more months and spend the money knowing you will have an 100% USA lens covered by Canon.

I agree. I'd imagine you will get a lens, but I doubt you'll get a warranty. For an unsuspecting buyer, by the time you've figured this out you'd probably have forgotten who you bought it from entirely - if ebay would even honor any protection years later when the lens needed repair. If so then this is a scam, because you were offered a warranty.

The other option is that it might be stolen property - it "fell off the truck". I doubt that Canon tracks lost assets like this, it'd be a huge overhead to do so that likely isn't worth the return. If this is the case, I'd imagine that the warranty would be serviceable ... unless Canon DOES track lost assets - though I've never heard of someone sending in a lens and having it come back that it was stolen. I'd think that this would be a customer service nightmare even if they did know.

The no sales receipt bit says to me that might be the case and may have been lifted from it's container somewhere between Japan and it's US distributor.

I'm sure it's legit, but im also sure it's gray market and not covered under warranty.

Overall, I don't think a 10% discount is worth the risk of not having a warranty, as this is the only reason you'd want to buy an item like this new.

If the warranty isn't important, buy a used lens. You'll save more and not have to deal with this grey market stuff.

I'd recommend going to canonpricewatch as it looks like you can get a US version for $1800 from an authorized dealer. You could also try greentoe and offer them 1650 and see what the counter offer is...

who buys expensive warranty items through ebay?

Agree. I check Ebay for dirt cheap deals on old, well used stuff maybe. For a new 70-200 2.8? Adorama or B & H hands down!!

Most reactions

Back