is this lens decent

polock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this is what is what is on my rebel xt i just bought: Quantaray 28-200mm 1:3.8-5.6 MACHO. Is this a decent all around lens for me to start to get used to my camera? I don't want to drop 1000.00 on a lens, but what are some other lens I should use for outdoors, and portraits?

this is what is what is on my rebel xt i just bought: Quantaray 28-200mm 1:3.8-5.6 MACHO. Is this a decent all around lens for me to start to get used to my camera? I don't want to drop 1000.00 on a lens, but what are some other lens I should use for outdoors, and portraits?

the canon 70-200mm F4L sells for around $570

I'd go to DPReview and see what they have to say about it - especially when compared to similar name brand lenses.

Quantaray is the house brand of Ritz Camera. Who knows who makes them?

Just be aware that Ritz puts their house brand lens on a camera so that they can sell it for a few dollars cheaper than one that has the name brand (Nikon, Canon, etc.) lens on it.

You can also assume that these lenses are of a somewhat lower quality than the originals. Same's true for their flashes, filters, etc.

Test it carefully and see if it's up to your standards. If so, then fine. If not ... well, I hope this information gives you some understanding about why that may be true.

It's just as true of photographic equipment as anything else - you get what you pay for.

I would say that the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would probably cover you needs pretty well. The 2.8, will be a great help indoors in low light, and produce a pleasing bokeh in portraits, and 17mm is decently wide for landscapes.
I think its about $419 new, so you might find it used closer to your price range.
This is the next lens on my list to purchase.
-Ryan

Ok so going really cheap, you can get the nifty fifty which is the 50mm F1.8 for $89.95 its not zoom, but its great for portraits and I used it for a couple of church pictures too, although you have to stand fairly far back as its not wide.

I am new at this too and have not experimented with many lenses but I did buy the Sigma AF 70-300 f4-5 APO DG which was just under $200 new, it might not be wide enough for your landscapes, but its suited me so far.

I hope you dont mind the link to my pictures, but when I was looking to buy the sigma lens I really wanted to see pictures to help me decide what to buy, so I gave you the option of seeing some, Im a newb so forgive my attempts :)

If your going in to a ritz store be wary, I went in to buy a CF card, the lady showed me two, a scan disk and another, she told me the other one was faster and better, I compared the packaging, and although I dont know too much about CF cards, I could tell what she told me was not true, it sould be she was just confused or it could have been a sales pitch...so watch out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back