is this NIKON D40 a good purchase for $300?

boucher28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I just came across a used Nikon d40 dslr camera in a local ad. Rarely used, comes with lens & original accessories for $300. i just read a review at amazon that this camera does not come with an auto zoom driver and that instead of being able to purchase a few economical upgrade lenses, you need to buy specialized lenses that are hundreds of dollars more.

Does anyone have experience with this camera and know of it's limitations? I do want to shoot some youth sports and would appreciate any help in determining whether to get this or not and if the review I read on amazon was correct.

Thanking everyone ahead of time for your help!

Brian

I would say so, a factory refurb goes for about $80 more. I still like the D40 for its electronic shutter and insane flash sync speed. I can come in handy for some types of shots. The only drwaback is the lack of dials/dedicated controls for manual shooting mode.

Today most lenses are "specialized" with AutoFocus motors. The price differential is really only largely noticeable in say 3rd party companies. Your body will most likely not limit you, your glass will. If you can try to pick up a D40X for around 500 used.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000NOEDGK/ref=dp_olp_1]Amazon.com: Used and New: Nikon D40x 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens[/ame]

I would say so, a factory refurb goes for about $80 more. I still like the D40 for its electronic shutter and insane flash sync speed. I can come in handy for some types of shots. The only drwaback is the lack of dials/dedicated controls for manual shooting mode.

Thank you Anthony for the info. Do you know anything about the lens limitations that I read in a review on amazon? heres that review:

*** You want a camera for sports or telephoto shots of nature. This is not the camera for you, and here is why: the D40 has a DIFFERENT lens mount than every other Nikon DSLR which came before it. To save costs, Nikon left an autofocus driver out of the camera body, which means you must buy special/more expensive add-on lenses with the autofocus driver built into the lens itself.

Why is this significant? Because of the 200 lenses made for Nikon DSLRs by Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, and others, only 20 or so work with the D40 with autofocus - something most amateurs will need to shoot sports and day to day photos. Many of Nikon's own consumer grade lenses, such as the 70-300mm G Zoom (Street price $150), will not autofocus with the D40. As a practical matter, this means that if you want an autofocus lens to shoot junior playing soccer, you must spend $525 for a zoom lens, the fantastic, yet pricey Nikon 70-300mm VR Zoom. That is almost as much as what you paid for the camera itself. The D40 is significantly limited in the number of lenses it will accept, and you really need to think about these limitations before purchasing. Moreover, what if your intentions change and want to pick up a cheap zoom for occasional use? With the D40, you can't, and I really think this is a significant limitation on this camera.***

They're not specialized lenses at all, it's just that the D40 doesn't have a focus motor in the body, so you have to use AF-S lenses (which have a motor in the lens) if you want auto-focus capability. Almost any new(er) lens now is AF-S; it's really just the older ones that wouldn't autofocus on the D40 (note that they'll still work and meter fine, just not autofocus). You'd have to get up to the D90 or above to have an in-body focus motor.

Don't put any weight into that Amazon review, it sounds like the author doesn't have any idea what they're talking about. That said, the D40 is a great camera to get started and learning with, and $300 is a great price for it.

Just make sure it's in good condition, have a memory card with you so you can verify it works before handing over the cash, etc. You might even want to get the Serial number from the seller to verify that it's a US-model, and have them verify how many shutter actuations it has.

Thank you Anthony for the info. Do you know anything about the lens limitations that I read in a review on amazon? heres that review:

*** You want a camera for sports or telephoto shots of nature. This is not the camera for you, and here is why: the D40 has a DIFFERENT lens mount than every other Nikon DSLR which came before it. To save costs, Nikon left an autofocus driver out of the camera body, which means you must buy special/more expensive add-on lenses with the autofocus driver built into the lens itself.

Why is this significant? Because of the 200 lenses made for Nikon DSLRs by Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, and others, only 20 or so work with the D40 with autofocus - something most amateurs will need to shoot sports and day to day photos. Many of Nikon's own consumer grade lenses, such as the 70-300mm G Zoom (Street price $150), will not autofocus with the D40. As a practical matter, this means that if you want an autofocus lens to shoot junior playing soccer, you must spend $525 for a zoom lens, the fantastic, yet pricey Nikon 70-300mm VR Zoom. That is almost as much as what you paid for the camera itself. The D40 is significantly limited in the number of lenses it will accept, and you really need to think about these limitations before purchasing. Moreover, what if your intentions change and want to pick up a cheap zoom for occasional use? With the D40, you can't, and I really think this is a significant limitation on this camera.***

Don't forget that review was probably made like a million years ago when that camera first came out and not having an autofocus motor was out of the norm. Most entry level cameras do not have one now adays. Entry level being more than 90% of the market share companies have learned to make more autofocus lenses to work with theses cameras and great prices. If you need a list of good lenses to buy from trusted sources please pm and I will be happy to help.

I say go for it. I have had my d40 for just over a year now. I have shot some sports with it and it should work fine for what you want to do. I wish it had a higher fps but its nowhere it the range of higher end cameras, but besides that no complaints.
$300 sounds like a good deal as long as its in good condition. I think i paid something like $411 for mine new.

Good Luck with everything :D

-Gian

Don't forget that review was probably made like a million years ago when that camera first came out and not having an autofocus motor was out of the norm. Most entry level cameras do not have one now adays. Entry level being more than 90% of the market share companies have learned to make more autofocus lenses to work with theses cameras and great prices. If you need a list of good lenses to buy from trusted sources please pm and I will be happy to help.
None of Canon's cameras, entry-level or other wise, have had a focus motor in the camera body since 1987.

None of Canon's cameras, entry-level or other wise, have had a focus motor in the camera body since 1987.

I was speaking of nikon.. but okie dokie.. lol Because he was talking of a nikon body I gave him Nikon information. Sorry if my wording was wrong or confused you.

The D40 is a great camera, and the lens restriction is the same on the d3000 and d5000 family camera. The newer cameras in the pro-sumer market all require AFS lenses. Meaning the AF motor is in the lens if you want AF to work. The older lenses will pass metering and data to the camera, just not auto focus.

I have a D40x and it has been great to me thus far. I've had it for about 2 years and it's been awesome. As has been said in previous posts, there are a good selection of lenses that are AF-S for the camera. I actually just picked up A Sigma 70-300 that has the focus motor in the lens for around $200 after the kit 55-200 crapped out on me. The price seems to be pretty fair as long as it is in good condition.

Most reactions

Back