is this pic overexposed?

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all...I took this over the weekend. I cant decide if the following pic is correctly exposed. Please let me know what you think (C&C welcome obviously).

3543526346_c527def9dc.jpg

I see a few hot areas on the shot - but nothing distracting (the most is that little bit of bar that is all white) but its not detracting from the flower image.
I would say though that chair/bench you were sitting on is not giving a good frame and I (personally) would have left it out of the shot and either ignored or made more use of the small railings in the shot.

If you need to check in field on the LCD read up in your manual about the camera histogram - its a fantastic tool when used right!
more info: Histograms - Part I

whatever anyone else says, it 100% a matter of your own personal style. (personally, I think the the image looks lovely. very vibrant and colorful) if you think its too bright, try a different look next time.

thanks both of you. I know about the histogrAm, and agree about the personal preference...but after reading "understanding exposure", I was under the impression that there is a 'correct exposure' to all pictures.

Hello all...I took this over the weekend. I cant decide if the following pic is correctly exposed. Please let me know what you think (C&C welcome obviously).

I opened the image in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). Most of the flowers are somewhat overexposed and clipped in the red channel. That's not to surprising considering their color.

With digital images ensuring the highlights are not clipped is the paramount goal because once clipped the detail is not recoverable. Blocked shadows are of far less concern.

What image editing software do you have available that you could use to quanitatively, rather than qualitativly, evaluate the exposure of your images?

As far as C&C, I find the OOF bench in the foreground distracting but the hoops make a nice secondary element that complements the flowers.

Last edited:
after reading that book you should understand that a part of that correct exposure (infact the greatest part) is the image you wanted out of it at the start - taking into account any limitations present on taking the shot in the first place (gear, lighting, setup, angle etc...)

Kmh...thank you. I have cs3, pe 7, lightroom 2, and aperture 2 :0)

Can you explain a lil more what you mean?

after reading that book you should understand that a part of that correct exposure (infact the greatest part) is the image you wanted out of it at the start - taking into account any limitations present on taking the shot in the first place (gear, lighting, setup, angle etc...)

What I got from the book was, there is alwAys a correct exposure. The part I think you're talking about is the fact that most images have multiple wAys to be correctly exposed, it's up to YOU ( the photog ) to make it a 'creative exposure'. (correct me if I am wrong)

Pearl Street?

Yes sir! I went Saturday afternoon and was shocked at the amazing arrangement of beautiful, unusual flowers. I had to go back, and ended up doing the same thing Sunday; only at 7:30, utilizing the beautiful morning light!

I like the crop KmH did. I did find the bench distracting. To my eye, it looks like a good exposure, just harsh lighting. But it's tough, because I really like the how the tulips glow from within. Will you post a shot from Sunday morning?

The luminosity channel is NOT the same as the individual color channels in a histogram. I don't doubt the red channel is clipped to the right, but thats a whole hell of a lot better than your luminosity values being clipped to the right.

my short answer is no.

i think your exposure is good...youve got brilliant colors in there!

i like the shot!:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back