Is this picture actually a good one?

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Glasskunst - Digit.no

There's this Norwegian photo site I visit, and they have a C&C section. This picture was uploaded, and have people posting that it's wonderful, it never gets boring to look at, better each time etc. Nice colours and stuff. I, however, just can't see what's so great about it.

Clean composition, I'll agree on, but it's utterly boring. The size relationship between the person and the artwork has potential, yes, but it's not very interesting as it is. The picture is underexposed - I'd set the white point to around 200. Even they the sky could be brightened some more - it's a sunny winter day after all.

No, I can't understand why so many people like it so much.

It should be noted that the photographer didn't ask for C&C, just posted it to "show" it to other people - so I don't know his intentions with it. However, many people are showing how little they know by saying how great this is.

OR, maybe I'm just stupid?

People often confuse "interesting subject" with "great photo". I agree with you; there's nothing particularly great about the photo itself. The composition is not bad, though.

People often confuse "interesting subject" with "great photo". I agree with you; there's nothing particularly great about the photo itself. The composition is not bad, though.

I was just thinking that!

I LOVED the subject. That's what I was attracted to, and continued to look at.
So, it's a nice picture of someone elses art?

I was just thinking that!

I LOVED the subject. That's what I was attracted to, and continued to look at.
So, it's a nice picture of someone elses art?

Or a picture of someone else's nice art.

The first thing that caught my eye were the Halos around the "Art work " Or am I just seeing things ?

Yeah, I see what you guys mean.

I meant that I don't like it as a photograph. The subject it nice enough, but the photograph doesn't do much (pretty much nothing) for me.

You may have nailed it, Kris Hunt, with your statement!

I don't think it's even a good photo of someone else's art. Part of the work is in shadow, and the image has a muddy, underexposed look.

This is why I hardly ever photograph other people's artwork. No matter how good the art is, it's very difficult to make a good photo of it. The art in the photo almost always overrides the photo.

I though the shot you posted was OK. I see the halos that were mentioned too. It would be the kind of photo I would take for myself to look back on, but not one that I would exhibit.

The sculpture is cool, and I want to explore it.

The photo itself is everything you stated. I also seem to find little things in images that bug me and I can't get over them. In this one its a guy in a blue coat on the bottom left of the sculpture visible through it. I would have gotten rid of him. Once I see it, I can't "unsee" it, kwim?

Glasskunst - Digit.no

There's this Norwegian photo site I visit, and they have a C&C section. This picture was uploaded, and have people posting that it's wonderful, it never gets boring to look at, better each time etc. Nice colours and stuff. I, however, just can't see what's so great about it.

Clean composition, I'll agree on, but it's utterly boring. The size relationship between the person and the artwork has potential, yes, but it's not very interesting as it is. The picture is underexposed - I'd set the white point to around 200. Even they the sky could be brightened some more - it's a sunny winter day after all.

No, I can't understand why so many people like it so much.

It should be noted that the photographer didn't ask for C&C, just posted it to "show" it to other people - so I don't know his intentions with it. However, many people are showing how little they know by saying how great this is.

OR, maybe I'm just stupid?

Yes you are stupid. Why are you asking about this reaction people are having? Why does it matter? How will understanding this improve you?

it does look just like a snapshot. should have explored some angles. but what do i know, maybe he did and thought this was the best one...

...and i don't think its stupid to try and understand what makes a good photo. comments, on the other-hand, are purely subjective.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back