Is this timeline realistic? Am I buying the right Camera?

Claire Pacelli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two weeks ago after point and shoot photographing a friends wedding, I realized how much I love being behind a lens, at one point I was kneeling on the floor to get a shot of the brides dress, creeping behind the cake to get an image of the wedding from the "precious moments figurine" point of view, pretend signing her guestbook to get a picture of someone writing on it. I found out that I was a wedding photographer without the knowledge, business know how, and most importantly, the camera! Well all thats changing and I want to make sure I am taking the right steps.

I am looking to buy a good starter DSLR, I was looking at the Canon EOS Rebel t1i kit, the 50mm f/1.8, and a telephoto lens. Is this a good choice?

My game plan is as follows:

December2010: Buy Camera, learn buttons, memorize manual, read Understanding Exposure, listen to podcast, join PPA, join forums.

January 10, 2011 - July 2011: Digital Photography 1, Digital Photography 2, Advanced Photography, Portraiture Photography, Wedding photography as a business seminar. Practice like crazy on my nieces (2 years and newborn) - my beautiful model friend - my cute newly engaged friends ect.

July-December 2011: Start charging at a 75% discounted "Portfolio Building Rate" for Senior Photo's, Newborn and Toddler, Family, Boudoir, and Engagement photography. (Word of mouth, Craigslist)

January - July2012: Start Advertising using SEO, Google Adsense, Adwords, Create Blog/Website, get in the free wedding guide, build a following.

July 2012 - December 2012 - Start looking for a intership, assistant, or second shooter position from a professional wedding photographer. Learn the ropes. Continue to grow photography business. Start saving for backup equipment (second camera, lens', battery packs ect).

January 2013: Start 50% "Portfolio building discount" for weddings.
July 2013: Full Amature Photography business created. Keep studying and evolving until you are considered a real pro =)

Am I being realisitic, am I missing key elements, please educate me!?

Last edited:
Start charging at a 75% discounted "Portfolio Building Rate" for Senior Photo's, Newborn and Toddler, Family, Boudoir, and Engagement photography. (Word of mouth, Craigslist)

right here you've shown you don't understand photography as a business.

also, you forgot to budget in the time to work a second job to afford to eat

Start charging at a 75% discounted "Portfolio Building Rate" for Senior Photo's, Newborn and Toddler, Family, Boudoir, and Engagement photography. (Word of mouth, Craigslist)

right here you've shown you don't understand photography as a business.

also, you forgot to budget in the time to work a second job to afford to eat

As far as the "portfolio building discount" I read in forums it is rude to undercut photographers; say charging only 500 for a wedding when surrounding photographers charge 1500, instead you have the full price listed with the discount listed as portfolio building so people know you are still learning and so when you charge the going rate they aren't shocked.

I work 8-4 M-F, my classes are Mon Nights from 7-10. My plan is to do most of my practice 1 hour before sunset, nights and weekends all day.

PS: You are absolutley correct I do NOT understand the photography business, hence the classes in my timeline, but since I already knew that, instead of stating the obvious, please explain what part I do not understand? It would be much more helpful to have your insight, rather than a opinion :sexywink:

Last edited:
I am a beginner and this also, and a timeline for me is out the window. I wanted to do this as a hobby, and business if I reached the skill level. I don't feel that anyone on this forum can tell you if this is realistic or not. That is totally up to you and the amount of time that you want to put into it. I strongly believe that you can get out of it only as much as you are willing to put in. I think if you throw yourself into it, you will be more apt to find out how realistic your goal is for you. You might be some phenom freak that grasps everything instantly, or you might be like me and have to study things over and over till it sinks in. Just my .02, might not even be worth that much to you.

And then theres the business aspect, which I know nothing about. I'm not close to being there, so I haven't developed any train of thought for it.

Anyhow, congrats on catching this bug called photography. Try not to turn it into "work". Good luck in your endeavors.

You seem to have given it a more thought than most do.

You will need to upgrade from the T1i to shoot weddings.

Which zoom lens?

75%, or even 50%, portfolio building discount is to much and 6 months (July - December 2011) is to long. I recommend a 30% discount max, just 30 days to start, and then re-evaluate.

There is no such animal as an "Amateur Photography Business". You cease being an amateur as soon as you accept the first payment for your services.

I note that you don't include writing a business and marketing plan, consultations with an attorney, an accountant, and an insurance agent prior to your July 2011 'opening for business' portfolio building special.

Take some salesmanship seminars too.

Good luck with your new venture. :thumbup:

Oh, don't forget to contact your local and state govenments to determine their business startup requirements, like collecting and forwarding sales taxes.

Note: The #1 reason new retail photography businesses fail is because the business owners lacked business acumen and skills.

Myko and KMH Thank you for your input! I do agree I need a business plan, I just don't know much about anything that is starting your own business. Ive been trying to read samples of business plans, but I am hoping to get a stronger grasp in classes. I will look into the salemanship seminars in my area right now. I am motivated to doing this right and legally, Im afraid of skipping steps and tripping on my own feet. I pray to be able to be able to build my portfolio in only a month or two, but depending on my financial situation will depend if I can drop my receptionist job and take on more work, the 6 months is assuming I only do it on nights and weekends. I have a creative eye, if I get the technical skills down then perhaps a month is plausible.

Bitter, the only camera I have is a point and shoot pink coolpix camera, so with that knowledge and the fact I didn't know the word aperture exsisted until a week ago, I doubt I could call any of the following pictures "work" but none-the-less here is some :lol:work:lmao: I have done so far lol =)

Flickr: Claire Pacelli's Photostream

As for the lens: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras?

Last edited:
As for the lens: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras?

Among the cheap Canon lenses, is certainly a very good purchase. Unfortunately can be used only on APS-C bodies, so when you move to business and thus buy a more serious camera, you have to change (also to have something faster). However, to learn is ok, I'm glad of it.

You seem to have given it a more thought than most do.

You will need to upgrade from the T1i to shoot weddings.

Which zoom lens?

75%, or even 50%, portfolio building discount is to much and 6 months (July - December 2011) is to long. I recommend a 30% discount max, just 30 days to start, and then re-evaluate.

There is no such animal as an "Amateur Photography Business". You cease being an amateur as soon as you accept the first payment for your services.

I note that you don't include writing a business and marketing plan, consultations with an attorney, an accountant, and an insurance agent prior to your July 2011 'opening for business' portfolio building special.

Take some salesmanship seminars too.

Good luck with your new venture. :thumbup:

Oh, don't forget to contact your local and state govenments to determine their business startup requirements, like collecting and forwarding sales taxes.

Note: The #1 reason new retail photography businesses fail is because the business owners lacked business acumen and skills.

he's correct on this one, I have a t1i and after a year of owning it and doing a bunch of portrait sessions, i now understand that this camera is NOT cutting it for me. it is a great camera but it cant perform the way I need it to. Im doing my first wedding next month and let me tell you im scared. Not because I dont trust my self, but I dont trust that this camera will be able to perform well for the ENTIRE INDOOR wedding. I will be purchasing the 5d mkII next month.

Buy a "good camera", like a Nikon D700. Something that will leverage your ever-increasing and ever-improving abilities. Skip the cheap, entry-level pentamirror, crop-body cameras of all makes, and go straight to a camera with a professional autofocus system, and a professional-level body. That means skip the 5D series from Canon...it's a $380 EOS Elan body with $2,000 of electronics and sensor tacked onto it. I'm being serious. Get a Nikon D700. Or a Nikon D3s.

Expert shooters can "make" a lesser camera work acceptably well in many scenarios. Beginners and intermediate photographers will benefit hugely from moving up to true professional-level tools and learning how to use the pro-level equipment to full advantage. A camera that has a built-in pop-up flash, built-in remote flash commander system, a professional-level AF system, a full-frame and all-glass pentaprism viewfinder, and excellent handling, plus excellent light metering...that is what you ought to buy..a D700. It will still be very capable five years from now.

Also a consideration - especailly for building experience in something like weddings -look around for a working local photographer and see if you can mentor/assist/second shoot with them. That gives you a chance to learn some of the trade whilst also giving you the chance to work in an environment like a wedding; without putting the client at risk of a poor result (because the pro is already there). You will make mistakes - you will make big mistakes - so make them when you can afford to rather than on your own paid session where if you mess up its your head on the block.

Why did you have to say that Darrel... there goes my wish list, pinging up another $2400. :lol:

I said it because I think the OP is totally serious about her plan. And because I think the professional-level cameras "leverage" almost everything in one's total kit: better viewfinder. Better focusing. Faster response in everything from AF, to mirror return, and so on. Better controls on the pro-level Nikons than on other cameras. Better flash metering. I have an original 5D Canon...it's a very low-level body....slow. For somebody who wants to "go pro", a professional-use camera, a "pro body" is an advantage. The Canon T2i is not even in the running. I've used 10 or 11 different d-slrs over the past decade...the "pro" body models really are amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back