IS vs non IS

JohnTrav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have done so much research on IS and non IS lenses. I was wondering if it really makes a difference in quality of the lens. Some reviews I have read say the non IS versions are sharper and have better bokeh.

I was wondering if this is true? Does having a non IS model actually produce a sharper image with better bokeh?

The lens I'm looking at is the canon 70-200 L f/4 and f/2.8

From a beginner standpoint the IS on longer focal lengths helps alot when handholding. I don't find it very helpful on shorter lengths like my kit lens though.

I do not think you can generalize non-IS lens is sharper than IS lens.

However, you can compare 2 lenses and see which one is better. For 70-200mm f/4L vs 70-200mm f/4L IS, the IS version seems better according to the review site. I think it is more on the optical design difference rather than IS vs Non IS.

Dao said:
I do not think you can generalize non-IS lens is sharper than IS lens.

However, you can compare 2 lenses and see which one is better. For 70-200mm f/4L vs 70-200mm f/4L IS, the IS version seems better according to the review site. I think it is more on the optical design difference rather than IS vs Non IS.

Ok. That's what I figured. I thought IS was just an added feature but doesn't effect the actual sharpness of the lens since its the same lens. I have read a lot of reviews that say the f/4 is sharper than the f/2.8. That's why I'm thinking about going with the f/4 IS.

I'm not sure if people were just saying the non IS is sharper just because they were trying to sell theirs or not. I just want to make sure before I make any purchases.

Only reason I want IS is for those times the lighting isn't working in my favor.

I have been shooting with 135L. This lens does not have IS and it is pretty long. Personally, I rather have a faster lens. If they are both are as fast then it depends on the price. Right now 70-200, you have to pay a lot just to get the IS. If I were to shoot with 70-200 f/2.8 again, I would pick the Non IS one. Most of the time you can prop your camera while shooting... if not.. you probably have enough light to make the shutter really fast.

Hmm, Cannons, IS'es..man

Were all the way back in WWII aren't we ;)

Now how about if Canon call's their mirrorless "Tiger." Then I would have seen everything.

Schwettylens said:
I have been shooting with 135L. This lens does not have IS and it is pretty long. Personally, I rather have a faster lens. If they are both are as fast then it depends on the price. Right now 70-200, you have to pay a lot just to get the IS. If I were to shoot with 70-200 f/2.8 again, I would pick the Non IS one. Most of the time you can prop your camera while shooting... if not.. you probably have enough light to make the shutter really fast.

I am mainly looking at the f/4 IS. Originally I was going to get he 70-200 f/4 non IS, then thought maybe I'll get the f/2.8 non IS. Now I think I might just get the 70-200 f/4 IS.

Then as I was researching I read that the f/4 non IS is sharper but i only heard that from one review and am not sure how true it is.

get the 70-200 f/2.8 non IS man. Tell me what scenario you need the IS on an f/4 ? Dont you rather have a shutter that is twice as fast instead of IS? Plus you can always use a tripod or monopod.

Schwettylens said:
get the 70-200 f/2.8 non IS man. Tell me what scenario you need the IS on an f/4 ? Dont you rather have a shutter that is twice as fast instead of IS? Plus you can always use a tripod or monopod.

I want a sharp image. Usually when I shoot there is a lot of light.

I do have a 50mm f/1.4 for low lighting.

I want to start doing weddings though and want the right lens for that. I know there will be a lot of low lighting situations there. I also plan on investing in a flash too.

Other than that I shoot sports. Mainly paintball an that is in broad daylight.

If there is a lot of light, then you dont need IS? If your object is moving, IS wont help so I rather have a shutter that is twice as fast than shooting at slower shutter at f/4 and IS.

Schwettylens said:
If there is a lot of light, then you dont need IS? If your object is moving, IS wont help so I rather have a shutter that is twice as fast than shooting at slower shutter at f/4 and IS.

What about when it comes to portraits? Many reviews and articles recommend the f/4 for that. I take pictures of my family a lot also at party's just or fun.

Sorry I know I keep giving different scenarios

Schwettylens said:

What about when it comes to portraits? Many reviews and articles recommend the f/4 for that. I take pictures of my family a lot also at party's just or fun.

Sorry I know I keep giving different scenarios

I still think the same advice applies. I agree it'd be better to have a faster shutter than IS in the scenarios you are mentioning. You also have more DOF flexibility with a faster lens. Faster lens wins over IS all around IMO. I normally leave IS turned off on all my lenses that have it.

SoCalTiger said:
I still think the same advice applies. I agree it'd be better to have a faster shutter than IS in the scenarios you are mentioning. You also have more DOF flexibility with a faster lens. Faster lens wins over IS all around IMO. I normally leave IS turned off on all my lenses that have it.

Thanks. I think i am going to go with the canon 70-200 f/2.8. I can always find a used one in really good condition to save a couple bucks if I have to. I think that's going to suit me best even though every review says that the f/4 has the sharper image. I think I am going to need the speed though.

Thanks

Thanks for the advise everyone. Just bought the canon 70-200 f/2.8. Should be here Friday. Bought it brand new.

Bawllin'. Btw if you stop that f/2.8 down to f/4, it should be just as sharp. 70-200 f/2.8 is a good lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back