ISO/NOISE question

Noise isn't always a bad thing. It all depends on the type of shot you are aiming for. Take Medium Format for an example. Very noisy results, but I absolutely love the end results from MF cameras.

AaronLLockhart said:
Noise isn't always a bad thing. It all depends on the type of shot you are aiming for. Take Medium Format for an example. Very noisy results, but I absolutely love the end results from MF cameras.

Why would MF be more noisy than 35mm?

Why would MF be more noisy than 35mm?

Because with great size comes great resolution. A Pentax 645D sounds nice with it's huge sensor, but it's pixel pitch is actually smaller than a 5D MkIII and much smaller than a D700. Also development moves slowly on large non-mass produced sensors, and physically large sensors create problems for designers trying to read out massive amounts of data a row at a time without interference. Heat from those large sensors is a non-trivial problem contributing to noise as well.

Garbz said:
Because with great size comes great resolution. A Pentax 645D sounds nice with it's huge sensor, but it's pixel pitch is actually smaller than a 5D MkIII and much smaller than a D700. Also development moves slowly on large non-mass produced sensors, and physically large sensors create problems for designers trying to read out massive amounts of data a row at a time without interference. Heat from those large sensors is a non-trivial problem contributing to noise as well.
I guess i was thinking more along the lines of comparing 34mm film to 120 film. 120 has much more film area so it is less grainy when compared to the same size print of a 35mm film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back