HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.
If im shooting fast moving sports like Skateboarding on a bright sunny day where theres enough light is ISO 100 ok to use or should I use 200 or 400 to catch the fast moving action?
Thanks in advance.. :p

If you meter says theres enought light, probably around 500th, then your ok.

It will also depend on the apature you select. The smaller the apature (greater the DOF) you choose the slower the shutter will be. If your shooting wide open at f2.8 then Rob is correct that you should be fine.

Keep in mind that ISO doesn't really determine how well you freeze motion. It is tied to exposure with aperture and shutter speed, but it is a fast shutter speed that will keep things sharp.

For something like this, determine what shutter speed you want, then what aperture for the DOF you want, and that will tell you what ISO to use. If the ISO is out of the range you want, you have to budge on either the aperture or shutter speed.

For my shooting, DOF is most important, so I choose aperture first, then the slowest shutter I can get away with, and that gives me the slowest ISO I can use.

If you are shooting something that you want to have the least noise or grain in, like a landscape, then you would pick a low ISO first, a narrow aperture for a long DOF, and then whatever shutter you get is fine. You just use a tripod.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that there doesn't seem to be too much difference with your camera in the ISO between 100 and 400 according to dpreview (as I recall). Actual shutter speed might be the best way to crisp up the shots if there's not too much black in the picture.

Rob

Id just make sure its over a 500/1, the you should be ok...take a few test shots, zoom in (if its a digi) and look for blurring...make sure to zoom in though...

Most reactions

Back