Isolation

I think backing off is the only way to go here. Otherwise you'd end up with a black-o-death situation with hardly any detail at all over the vast majority of the image.

Unpopular, I was not so sure that lightening up the burned-in areas was the only way to go, so I took a couple minutes, and just opened the file, used the curves tool to darken ALL the rocks, and then used about 10 seconds' worth of the Dodge tool along the dark line near the man, and came up with this.
140848287.jpg

In my ultra-quickie edited version, the single,solitary wave becomes a much more important part of the composition. The porous rocks are sublimated mostly. Light advances, dark recedes; by going with a darker foreground, the silhouetted man becomes a much STRONGER figure, and the wave also becomes "one,single wave", among an otherwise smooth-surfaced ocean...I feel like this quickie, darker, more low-key image is more appropriate for the title "Isolation". The man is isolated, and the single, breaking wave is isolated. Working from a larger file, it'd be even easier.

^^ yeah ... but a bit too heavy for my taste. great job matching the tones btw - i kind of always suck at that.

Unpopular, I was not so sure that lightening up the burned-in areas was the only way to go, so I took a couple minutes, and just opened the file, used the curves tool to darken ALL the rocks, and then used about 10 seconds' worth of the Dodge tool along the dark line near the man, and came up with this.
140848287.jpg
In my ultra-quickie edited version, the single,solitary wave becomes a much more important part of the composition. The porous rocks are sublimated mostly. Light advances, dark recedes; by going with a darker foreground, the silhouetted man becomes a much STRONGER figure, and the wave also becomes "one,single wave", among an otherwise smooth-surfaced ocean...I feel like this quickie, darker, more low-key image is more appropriate for the title "Isolation". The man is isolated, and the single, breaking wave is isolated. Working from a larger file, it'd be even easier.
Hmmm not feeling the edit, it's way darker then I want for this image. Would just selecting the rocks in question themselves and toning them down on their own work rather then editing the whole image?

Yeah, you could do the photo any number of ways...I spent about 15 seconds on this; if you took a minute or two and made a selection, it would be pretty easy to even out the rock tones either brighter or darker.

Yeah, you could do the photo any number of ways...I spent about 15 seconds on this; if you took a minute or two and made a selection, it would be pretty easy to even out the rock tones either brighter or darker.
K thanks for the advice!!!

First off, you have come a long way in a very short amount of time. You are consistently putting up much improved images. Well done.

This image is strong. The man stands out as the most important part of the image because it is the highest contrast area of the image and the most distinct form. Even though he is almost competely lacking detail, he is still obviously a man standing, looking. What's he looking for? How long has he been there? How long will he remain? As long as the rocks or the ocean? These are good questions for a photograph to create in the mind.

One of the things I noticed when looking at the original is the wave that Derrel also brought up.... it seems out of place and unbalanced - breaks the mood for me. I do think Derrel's edit improves on this as it brings the rocks into a closer tone as the wave and makes it seem more congruent.

It seems that you carefully adjusted camera height so that the horizon seemlessly disappears behind the ragged rock on which he stands. I may have placed the rock above the horizon, but I don't think there is any problem at all how you did it. I would like to know how much thought you put into horizon placement, not only the top/bottom placement inside the frame, but with respect to the rock he is standing on.

It needs some dramatic clouds to fill the void of the empty sky. A bit heavy on the contrast too.

It needs some dramatic clouds to fill the void of the empty sky. A bit heavy on the contrast too.

Clouds would diminish the feeling of isolation and distract the eye from the subject.

Clouds would diminish the feeling of isolation and distract the eye from the subject.
Yep I agree. I feel like they're are enough tones in the sky to make it work! The ocean is pretty calm so the sky goes well with that.

Hmmm not feeling the edit, it's way darker then I want for this image. Would just selecting the rocks in question themselves and toning them down on their own work rather then editing the whole image?

The image looks fine.
Take that image and have it printed, and hang it on the wall in a restaurant
In a years time 300 people will walk by and notice it and say " Wow, what a nice image."
The 301st person is Derrel......the consummate professional.
He will say " the single,solitary wave becomes a much more important part of the composition. The porous rocks are sublimated mostly. Light advances, dark recedes; by going with a darker foreground, the silhouetted man becomes a much STRONGER figure, and the wave also becomes "one,single wave", among an otherwise smooth-surfaced ocean...I feel like this quickie, darker, more low-key image is more appropriate for the title "Isolation". The man is isolated, and the single, breaking wave is isolated. Working from a larger file, it'd be even easier.

The 10 people in line behind him, waiting to look at the image, all start looking at each other while scratching their heads.
Then me and Gipson walk up.....while Derrel has his head pressed against the wall to get a better angle on the view....... and shove Derrel out of the way.

Don't get mad at me Derrel, I'm just messin with ya.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DiskoJoe

Agree. The sky, ocean and rock are spearated with different contrast. Heavy contrast clouds would make the sky too busy.

I like the way that the man is small and away from the third line in the frame. It gives helpless, small, lonely feelings.

Most reactions

Back