Issue with my new Hasselblad

Danofmk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've just purchased my first Hasselblad, a 500 EL, with a back (A12) and waist level viewfinder.

It came without a lens, and in my excitement to explore it, I fired the shutter, by turning the side dial to S.

I understand that because there was no lens on it, the body hasn't cocked, so the mirror is still up and the rear 'shutter' is down.

I've managed to turn the cocking mechanism all the way round until the mirror is down, but as soon as I release the mechanism, it releases and everything returns to as it was (mirror up etc.)

Any thoughts on whether (a) I've purchased a broken camera (b) I've broken it myself, or (c) I'm missing a trick when it comes to cocking the body.

Any help received with huge thanks. I am rather fretful here having spent to me what is a lot of money on this thing!!

Cheers

Last edited:
There is a tool made specifically to remedy the temporary situation _you created _. I cannot recall if it is called the decocking tool or the cocking tool

A web search will turn up for-sale examples of this device. You should read up on the Hassy protocol about winding and lens attachment.

Thanks

My worry is though I have had the mechanism turned all the way until the mirror is up (I think?)

So does this tool do something else, or am I just not turning far enough?

Like i said, your situation is common...there is a special tool made to rectify the foul- up you have created. Read about the winding/lens issue you have fallen into.

Thanks.

I've had a good read around online, but not managed to find out what I'm doing wrong with my attempts to wind it so far.

Tried again today now I've got the hang of it. I've definitely turned it as far as it will go, but it still just springs straight back.

Mmmm....

Thanks. That's what I've done, but to no avail.

Got a tool on the way, so will see if that does the trick somehow.

Get the tool. And a lens. Then you will.be on the road to MF bliss.

Arrgggh

Tool has arrived today. Small end turns from the rear OK (but of course it gets stuck when the flaps begin to close) but from the front neither ends fit at all.

I'm going out of my mind here. Any help gratefully received!?
_20200615_144755.JPG
_20200615_144631.JPG

Hasselblads have great lenses. Too bad about the bodies.

You don't have a lens yet...you need to get a lens and the winding/cocking mechanism synchronized...you need to mount a lens and get the mechanism synchronized with the lens.

Sounds like what my experience with my 503CW. I went round and round not sure if I had something wrong. Finally I figured out what to do. As the book says keep the lens shutter cocked. You need to get a lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You don't have a lens yet...you need to get a lens and the winding/cocking mechanism synchronized...you need to mount a lens and get the mechanism synchronized with the lens.

It's not possible to get a lens on when the body is not cocked, both pins (body and lens) have to be in the same horizontal position, when not a lens cannot be mounted on to the body.

As I said, he needs to get a lens. He already has the cocking tool and now he needs a lens so he can ensure that the winding and cocking cycle for lens and the body are in sync. Once again as I said, he needs a lens. Perhaps you did not understand what I meant.

The OP needs to become familiar with basic Hasselblad winding and cocking..
This is probably the Achilles heel of the old Hasselblad system. This is one area where later entrants to the medium format film single-lens reflex market completely out-did Hasselblad. I'm speaking of Bronica and Mamiya specifically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back