issues with sharpness, d90

zeppman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner, and picked up a d90 a few days ago. I just went out during my lunch break to take a few shots, and was rather disappointed with how washed out, soft and un-sharp they were. I was using aperture and shutter priority, and it was a sunny day, iso200.

I can't upload photos at this time since I'm at work and they block that stuff. Any experts on the d90 have any tips they can provide until I can upload photos? I haven't really changed anything on the camera except shutter, aperture and iso. I tried changing the EV a few times, adjusting for what i saw in the lcd.

Thanks.

You will have to post some examples, preferably along with the EXIF data.

OK, sorry, I'll do that as soon as I get home. My other question (while I'm here) was that I chose the option to do jpeg+raw on my computer, yet the camera only gave me doubles in jpeg format. Why did I not get the NEF files?

OK, sorry, I'll do that as soon as I get home. My other question (while I'm here) was that I chose the option to do jpeg+raw on my computer, yet the camera only gave me doubles in jpeg format. Why did I not get the NEF files?
If you choose RAW+JPEG on the camera, then that's what you should get. Are you sure that it's giving you double JPEG files? (are you actually viewing the file types, not just the icons, which may look alike?)

If you choose RAW+JPEG on the camera, then that's what you should get. Are you sure that it's giving you double JPEG files? (are you actually viewing the file types, not just the icons, which may look alike?)

Further, if he's looking at unprocessed RAW images, they're going to look flat.

Ok, the raw/jpeg thing, Yes, I'm sure that is what I selected on my camera, and when I view them on my computer, one image under that name is called a jpeg file, and the other does not have a name until I click on it, and that it names itself "File type" jpeg. They are both the exact same size on disk too, (which I know the RAW file would be larger). I have not been able to view any raw files from this camera.

On to the pictures. I haven't done any processing, this is straight from the camera (again, I realize they are not good, that's why I'm here looking for help):
3908006640_8f29f133ea.jpg

1/1600, F5.3, iso 800, EV +.7

3908010848_dd86ee5040.jpg

1/200, F20, iso 800, EV-.7

3908015682_4323cbeecb.jpg

1/10, f36, iso 200 ev -.3

3907242133_98cfded73d.jpg

1/400 f4.8, iso 200, ev +.3

3908026086_8d67f73e87.jpg

1/200 F8, ISO 200, +.3

Last edited:
f20 f36 ISO800 in the middle of the day.....thats definitely not helping

yeah, i forgot that i left it on iso800..... I switched as I took more photos.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought large "F" number = physically smaller aperture opening, greater depth of field, less light in? ... no?

yeah, i forgot that i left it on iso800..... I switched as I took more photos.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought large "F" number = physically smaller aperture opening, greater depth of field, less light in? ... no?

Yes, you are correct.

yes but too high of a f number (smaller opening) will cause diffraction

You should keep at a maximum of f 16 - f 18
also the EV should be set to 0

The only time you really change EV is if it is a tricky metering situation e.g. when photographing the moon, there is only a small portion of bright light so i spot meter, then dial my EV to -1.5

Pg 108 in your manual - Picture Controls
Make sure you are not set on Neutral. Try Standard or Vivid.

Also change your sharpness setting to 7 for starters and see how you like that. It goes up to 9 but that can really be a bit much especially for people shots. You can always up it later or tweak in a photo program.

Below is a blip from a full DPReview.
Nikon D90 Review: 36. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review
The image quality, whether at base ISO or the higher settings, is excellent even if it can need a bit of tweaking of the internal settings to tailor the output to specific needs. While it's understandable that Nikon would want to try to bring the processing settings into line with its more expensive cameras, it's questionable how well the rather under-sharpened default output will serve the buyers of this camera. A little more contrast and saturation improve things, without any ill effects.

Maybe take the photos again at a different time. Using a circular polarizer filter may help as well.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Can someone tell me how to set sharpness? I've looked at the manual, googled, and can't find how.. only that people do it....

Ok, the raw/jpeg thing, Yes, I'm sure that is what I selected on my camera, and when I view them on my computer, one image under that name is called a jpeg file, and the other does not have a name until I click on it, and that it names itself "File type" jpeg. They are both the exact same size on disk too, (which I know the RAW file would be larger). I have not been able to view any raw files from this camera.

On to the pictures. I haven't done any processing, this is straight from the camera (again, I realize they are not good, that's why I'm here looking for help):

1/1600, F5.3, iso 800, EV +.7

1/200, F20, iso 800, EV-.7

1/10, f36, iso 200 ev -.3

1/400 f4.8, iso 200, ev +.3

1/200 F8, ISO 200, +.3

What lens did you use? Did you use a filter? If so, brand and model?

No filter, lens: Afs nikkor 18-105 1:3.5-5.6G

Most reactions

New Topics

Back