What's new

Istanbul Escape

NavyJelly

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Location
The Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken from inside the hollow of a tree in the gardens of the Topkapi palace in Istanbul, Turkey last August.

Narrow+Escape.jpg


I have a few versions of this shot, I know in my gut the moment is a good capture but whatever way I look I can't figure out what is wrong with the execution (cue laughter at my noobieness ;-) ). Any ideas, tips, hints, ritual sacrifices all welcome. They are security guards by the way, I wish their uniforms were slightly more obvious.
 
For this one I like the idea of having the "wooden frame" in focus and all the rest out of focus ... for me this works here :)

However, the hole and the security guards are neither centered, not really off-centre. It is not pronounced either way.

Also, since the whole stretches downwards, maybe a portrait would be better than landscape here.

BTW, I know that place :) .. just I never realised there was actually a tree you could "enter" .. or maybe you are just slimmer than me? ;)
 
Cheers for the ideas, you could very well be right about protrait, the dimensions never really looked really right, it's funny because I really can't put my finger on what I don't like about the execution.

I think we can safely say it's not my 'slim frame' that allowed me in there, its quite a sizeable hollow, and a popular photo oppertunity for visitors to stand in the tree. Or indeed a troop of school girls like the one I had to wait to finish before I got in.


Heres the tree as normally viewed, you can just about make out the hole from the previous shot.
IMG_0980.jpg
 
From my point of view, I think it would have looked better if the security guards were in focus instead of the tree. Of course, it does look ok like it is.
 
yes I was thinking the same, but unfortunately I dont have such a shot.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
 
Looking at the picture of the tree I have to commend your creativity...I don't think I would have ever seen the hole in the tree and thought to crawl in it to take a picture! :sillysmi:
 
I have to state again, I like it BECAUSE the security guards and the whole central part are blurred :)
 
I think the wooden frame is taking up too much space
You know what, I think you're right. The crop ain't quite there, problem is though it may all be a bit too central if I reduce the frame on the left.
 
Looking at the picture of the tree I have to commend your creativity...I don't think I would have ever seen the hole in the tree and thought to crawl in it to take a picture! :sillysmi:
cheers, but...not quite that artistically intentioned, I went in just to have a look at what the inside of a tree was like...always fancied myself as a bit of a squirrel.

heres a recropped version, as some suggested.
IMG_0985_001.jpg

Not really loving it, guards are too dead centre.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom