I clean my 6d sensor with canned air, the bad kind and have no issues doing so

FocusTester

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This post describes the procedure to clean a DSLR sensor with a can of air (well, it's not really air), also known as a duster. I will try to be fair in outlining the concerns that people have had with this highly controversial method so we can come to some sort of consensus. Note that most photographers and most certainly the camera manufacturers are firmly against this method of cleaning due to damage that you can cause by being careless. If you are faint of heart or a klutz, please leave sensor cleaning to professionals. I will not be held responsible if you damage your camera and/or sensor doing this procedure. Perform it at your own risk. I have and will continue to do so, since it saves me a lot of time and allows me to clean my sensor more frequently and expeditiously.

Let me start by describing the procedure in detail:

1. Start by making sure that the straw that came with your can of duster is firmly attached to the can. You most definitely do not want the straw to fly off during the procedure and hit the sensor, the open shutter or the retracted mirror. Aside from the obvious possibility of damaging the sensor, the tip of the straw often contains a thin layer of congealed biterrant that will leave a mark on the sensor (which can be removed with alcohol [i.e., the "wet" cleaning method]) if it comes into contact. Tape the straw to the can head if necessary or if it has a habit of flying off and/or you are paranoid. I have never had the straw fly off, not even during dusting items (not camera equipment) at full flow strength as long as the straw was properly and firmly inserted into the can.
2. Before you begin, you need to do some pre-cleaning prep by blowing several full force blasts out of the can. Make sure that the can is not pointed anywhere near your camera (or anything/anyone else for that matter) when you do this. Also, make sure that the can stays upright after these pre-blasts and before you actually use it and that not much time passes before the can is employed for the rest of this procedure. This is done to hopefully eliminate any major liquid discharge from the duster if it has been sitting idle for a prolonged period of time.
3. After putting the camera body into sensor cleaning mode and holding it with one hand, you can start blowing gas out of the duster with your other hand at a constant rate. This is the rate that you will determine to be safe (see the Q & A that follow for help with determining a safe rate). You can use the forearm of the arm holding the camera body to check the flow rate/strength. It is imperative that you keep this flow rate constant, so as not to discharge any unnecessary liquid from the can. Do not bring the straw any closer than one inch to your forearm.
4. You want to perform the rest of this procedure indoors and in as clean an area as possible. I recommend an area that is not carpeted and does not have rugs, if possible. If not, do it wherever you can.
5. With the camera in sensor cleaning mode and the body lens opening facing the floor and at a good height from it, start positioning the can and straw so as to blow up into the sensor. Move the straw to the proper distance from the sensor gradually and methodically (see the Q & A that follow to help you determine this distance). You should angle the straw up, but I would not recommend going fully horizontal with the can. I tend to blow from one corner of the sensor along a diagonal to the farthest corner opposite it while holding the straw at about a forty-five degree angle. This seems to get the most dust and particulate matter off the sensor without it landing back and/or more gunk accumulating. You may want to move and/or tilt the body around slightly to blow at various angles to the sensor in order to dislodge any stubborn dirt. I try to avoid moving and tilting the can if possible after the straw nears the sensor, using the camera body to instead control distance and angle of spray. This helps to avoid any unnecessary non-uniform discharge from the can.
6. Finally, after about 5-10 seconds gently move the camera away from the straw and shut the camera body off while its lens opening is still facing the floor.
7. You will want to mount a lens on the camera as soon as possible without moving the camera much and without changing its orientation (from facing down).
8. Perform some test shots to see if the dust is gone and repeat this procedure if necessary. You may need to repeat this several times to get a relatively clean sensor. Depending on your environment, you may run into situations where the sensor has more dust than before the previous attempt. When this happens, I just repeat the procedure and try again.

Here are some questions and answers that will hopefully fairly address the concerns that have been or will be raised in this thread:

Q: It's not really canned air, it's difluoroethane and commonly a mild bitterant put in to discourage abuse (i.e., inhalation). Are these chemicals really safe for my sensor?
A:
Well, let's get the facts out of the way, shall we. Difluoroethane in liquid form can discolor certain plastics. Whether or not it can discolor the plastic and or glass over the sensor has not been shown. I have yet to read or hear a first hand report of sensor and/or filter damage from difluoroethane, despite the fact that many people have cleaned their sensors using this method.

It is not clear exactly what the mild bitterant is. Certainly it can interact with the sensor in unknown ways. Since it is usually ejected mostly at the start of a spraying cycle, you probably needn't worry about it as long as you pre-spray and follow the procedure as stated.

Please note that when the spray leaves the included straw it is still in liquid form. You can easily see this with your own eyes, by looking at the stream as it leaves the straw. However, after a certain very short distance the liquid evaporates and becomes gaseous. This distance depends on how hard you have pressed the trigger. I am in no way advocating cleaning the sensor with the spray coming out of the bottle at full force. You should be spraying at a pressure that is no greater than the pressure produced by a manual device such as the Rocket Air Blaster. So, if you choose to use a duster to clean your sensor make dang sure that you know at what pressure the air coming out of it should be by comparing it with a known blower such as the Rocket Air Blaster just mentioned. You can use the palm of your hand or better yet, the forearm on your less dominant arm to compare. Get used to being able to trigger that particular flow level with your dominant hand.

Furthermore, you really do not want to hit the sensor with liquid spray. Therefore, once you've figured out the correct pressure, make sure that you keep a reasonable distance between the straw end of the duster and the sensor. This distance should take into account the fact that you most certainly don't want to pressurize the camera chamber by not allowing the gas that you are spraying to escape the chamber fast enough. Also, you really want to make sure that you are not hitting the sensor with liquid difluoroethane.

Q: How can I be sure that the spray will not be liquid and leave a residue on and/or discolor my sensor?
A: The easiest way to do this is to take a blank CD or DVD. Once you've figured out the correct flow rate, spray the data end of the disc for about fifteen to thirty seconds and then check the disc for any residue or discoloration. If you see none, you are playing it safe, at least as far as distance from the straw goes. This is not a good way to measure maximum flow rate. Use the steps in the previous question to do this.

Q: But it says on the can that this spray can cause frostbite. I certainly don't want to freeze my sensor and/or cause cold related damage.
A: The sensor is made to tolerate extreme temperatures. There are photographers shooting with DSLRs in Antarctica. What the sensor may not be able to tolerate well is sudden changes in temperature due to pressure changes and evaporation of the liquid coming out of the duster. An easy way to avoid this is to perform the same disc test from the previous question, instead checking for a change in temperature of the disc at the point where the spray is hitting it. If the disc becomes very cold to the touch you are either spraying too close, the force of spray is too strong or you have been spraying for a very long time. Back away the duster can or reduce the flow rate and try again.

Q: What about damage to the shutter and mirror from that fast moving gas?
A: Well let's not be stupid about the process here. You have to make sure that the camera is in sensor cleaning mode as selected from the menu and that the camera battery is fully charged so that the camera does not disengage from cleaning mode mid-process. In other words, at the time of cleaning, the shutter should be open and the mirror should be safely locked up. Camera manufacturers generally allow for a device like the Rocket Air Blaster to be used, so they certainly have to open/secure the shutter and stow away the mirror in such a way that an air cleaning device can be used at a reasonable pressure and rate of flow. If you have followed the advice from the previous questions about controlling the flow rate and distance so as not to blow too much gas too fast into the sensor, I can't imagine that you would damage the shutter and/or mirror, sans some sort of carelessness or accident taking place.

Q: I don't want to propel a pebble into my sensor using the duster!
A: Well, let me start by saying that this cleaning method should not be employed if you have quartz crystals on your sensor. This is meant to remove soft dust particles from things like fabric, carpeting, clothing, etc... If you have been changing lenses in a sand storm, this cleaning technique is not for you. If you are performing the procedure indoors as suggested, any heavy particulate matter in the air will fall. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you will blow a nylon hair or tiny strand of fabric onto the sensor. If this happens and you notice this post-cleaning, just clean again. Hair and tiny fabric strands are very easy to blow off the sensor, either with this technique or with a Rocket Blaster and will not scratch or otherwise damage it.

Q: I have followed your technique, but my sensor is even more dirty than when I started.
A: In one word, repeat! This technique will not free your sensor from 100% of the particles on it. No non-wet solution will. Like other air/gas based techniques we're trying to get the sensor free of large particles and to remove as much of the small particles as we can in as short a time as possible, so that this technique can be applied frequently to keep the sensor relatively clean. There's no point in spending two hours to get the sensor flawlessly clean, for it only to get dirty again the next time you change lenses. The point here is to keep it clean by making the cleaning process easy and fast.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Using a Rocket Blower I can understand even if it takes much longer to do non-surgical cleaning with it and it works worse than canned air, since you can't get it to blow a prolonged stream of air/gas over the sensor to not just move dust but actually get it and any adjoining dust completely off.

But, brushing a sensor with a spinning brush (and possibly smearing non-dust particles as well as scraping the sensor with any sand grains) is better than using canned air which results in no physical contact when done properly? This is good advice?

Last edited:
If it works for you then go for it. I think you've pretty much touched on all of the things that can go wrong. Personally I'll stick to my Rocket Blower.

If it works for you then go for it. I think you've pretty much touched on all of the things that can go wrong. Personally I'll stick to my Rocket Blower.

That's pretty much what I'll continue to do. I was interested in hearing if anyone discovered any detrimental issues with regard to shutter, mirror and/or other issues from using a can of duster the "right" way. I've used the crappiest cheap canned air in the same way to blow dust off my glasses, CDs/DVDs and even LCD TV panels and never had any residue (or discoloration) issues, except for the one time when I forgot to pre-spray and got a little residue on my glasses which I will admit was somewhat tough to get off with water (91% rubbing alcohol did the trick though, almost instantly).

So, if anyone has managed to actually get gunk on their sensor I'd love to hear about it and perhaps any issues with getting it off with Eclipse or a similar ethanol/methanol based solution. Now don't get me wrong, touching the tip of the canned air straw to the sensor or any form of plastic or glass is a good way to get canned air gunk/residue onto something. It does tend to solidify and accumulate at the business end of the straw, which should come as no surprise. This is probably why all the stories with people who have had the straw shoot off the can and touch the sensor resulted in gunk on the sensor.

Last edited:
What is it costing these days to get a shutter replaced - $250 to $300? - plus the time the service center needs to have the camera and the shipping time and cost?

Shutter curtains have to be very light weight, which makes them fragile and easy to damage. Which is why pressurized canned air is not a recommended tool for cleaning the dust off of an image sensor.

What is it costing these days to get a shutter replaced - $250 to $300? - plus the time the service center needs to have the camera and the shipping time and cost?

Shutter curtains have to be very light weight, which makes them fragile and easy to damage. Which is why pressurized canned air is not a recommended tool for cleaning the dust off of an image sensor.

Yes, but this is a very gray area. We're not talking about a full blast of canned air right into a closed shutter from a very short distance. I've actually played with this idea somewhat with an older Canon film camera body (1/8000 max shutter speed) and light bursts of canned air into a closed shutter with the mirror locked up, just to see how easy it was to reversibly "warp" the shutter without actually damaging it permanently. It doesn't take much air strength to displace the shutter leaves (although they do come back to their original form once the air flow stops and the shutter seems to operate normally), so you definitely don't want to do this experiment with a camera body you are actually still using.

With my canned air sensor cleaning approach, we're talking relatively weak continuous air flow around a retracted shutter (i.e., the camera is in sensor cleaning mode which lifts the mirror and opens the shutter, presumably leaving both in secure/difficult to damage positions?). Not to mention that the brunt of the airflow is towards the sensor and the retracted mirror/shutter is only getting some indirect involvement from the air that bounced off the sensor along with maybe some air pressure building in the chamber, which reduces its impact further still. The bigger issue perhaps, is that I am blowing from a sensor corner and so there is asymmetrical air flow, this is what worries me when it comes to impact on the retracted shutter - the asymmetry of the redirected bounced air force towards one corner of the shutter, but I don't know how strong the flow is when it gets to the actual shutter corner or how much affect it has on a shutter when it is fully opened and secured. I wish that someone who has experience with constructing and/or repairing these things could chime in.

Haha, by the way, shutter replacement is about $600 based on this link: Re: Shutter Replacement Cost: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Take that with a grain of salt though and compute the time and opportunity cost of using a lit loupe and Rocket Blower to clean the sensor vs 5-10 secs of canned air for a general cleaning vs not cleaning the sensor at all and spending time in ACR or Photoshop to locate and "heal out" the dust.

Time is money and lost opportunity - something most professionals seem to ignore in this argument.

Time is money and lost opportunity - something most professionals seem to ignore in this argument.

So what you are saying is that the potential $600 repair bill and the weeks of repair time is worth it because you save a few minutes of cleaning time?

Out of curiosity, what system do you use to clean your 6d sensor? I've had relatively good success with canned air (yes the evil kind that initially squirts liquid difluoroethane and a mild bitterant to discourage abuse) which seems to get rid of almost all dust and hair. Of course I do not spray at full strength (more like maybe 1/8th to 1/16th of full strength and no closer than an inch form the sensor). I hold the can at a 45 degree angle to almost horizontal while trying to spray up into the sensor which is facing down (i.e., I hold the camera facing the floor, so that the dust falls down due to gravity after being blown off the sensor). I also do not use bursts, instead keeping a constant flow rate and allowing a second or two for any initial liquid to come out of the can, before moving it close to the sensor. It seems that spraying diagonally across the sensor from one corner does the best job of cleaning it. I am possibly getting some dust deep into the camera body doing this and may be causing some damage to the shutter, although in practice I have not noticed any long term effects and have managed to get the sensor relatively clean. Some may argue that there is a chance that I can separate the low-pass filter from the sensor, but I think that it is pretty firmly attached and if one is not blowing at full strength, this scenario is highly unlikely. The biggest risk in my mind is shutter and/or mirror damage, but this again is hopefully unlikely if one is not spraying at anywhere near maximum flow rate. I have never gotten any residue from the spray onto the sensor, because of the several second pre-spray combined with keeping at least an inch distance from the sensor and a reasonable (constant) flow rate.

Any thoughts other than the FUD (i.e., fear, uncertainty and/or doubt) that keeps getting posted about this method of cleaning due to reckless and careless use of canned air sprayers (e.g., straws that fly out because they are not firmly inserted, getting liquid on the sensor due to not pre-spraying and/or varying the spray rate mid stream, touching the sensor with the straw, spraying at full power and ridiculously close distance, etc...)?

I would never screw around with canned air on something like a camera sensor. Get yourself one of these babies:

Sears.com

Yes, but this is a very gray area. We're not talking about a full blast of canned air right into a closed shutter from a very short distance. I've actually played with this idea somewhat with an older Canon film camera body (1/8000 max shutter speed) and light bursts of canned air into a closed shutter with the mirror locked up, just to see how easy it was to reversibly "warp" the shutter without actually damaging it permanently. It doesn't take much air strength to displace the shutter leaves (although they do come back to their original form once the air flow stops and the shutter seems to operate normally), so you definitely don't want to do this experiment with a camera body you are actually still using.

With my canned air sensor cleaning approach, we're talking relatively weak continuous air flow around a retracted shutter (i.e., the camera is in sensor cleaning mode which lifts the mirror and opens the shutter, presumably leaving both in secure/difficult to damage positions?). Not to mention that the brunt of the airflow is towards the sensor and the retracted mirror/shutter is only getting some indirect involvement from the air that bounced off the sensor along with maybe some air pressure building in the chamber, which reduces its impact further still. The bigger issue perhaps, is that I am blowing from a sensor corner and so there is asymmetrical air flow, this is what worries me when it comes to impact on the retracted shutter - the asymmetry of the redirected bounced air force towards one corner of the shutter, but I don't know how strong the flow is when it gets to the actual shutter corner or how much affect it has on a shutter when it is fully opened and secured. I wish that someone who has experience with constructing and/or repairing these things could chime in.

Try this - take a metal close hanger, grab the bottom section. Bend it foward. Then backward. Then forward again. Repeat enough and see what happens. Let me save you the suspense, it snaps.

The shutter was never designed to live up to that kind of repeated stress. Every time you do your shortening the life of your shutter, and your camera.

If nothing else, you're at least playing with fire by using can air. All it takes it a moment of carelessness and you can really mess up your camera. I've seen a sensor with canned air gunk on it, and it isn't pretty. You'd have to either find a wet cleaning solution or send it in for repairs.

On a side note, have you ever actually had an experience where there is enough dust on your sensor to effect your pictures?

Dude! Don't use the compressed air can! It is not safe for the image sensor! It is like your breath blowing. The compressed air can has moist inside that expels and damages the image sensor in a little at a time.

If nothing else, you're at least playing with fire by using can air. All it takes it a moment of carelessness and you can really mess up your camera. I've seen a sensor with canned air gunk on it, and it isn't pretty. You'd have to either find a wet cleaning solution or send it in for repairs.

So then for camera sensor cleaning you recommendation would be to cut out the middleman and go directly to something like this?

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Flamethrower

Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back