Am I right or in the wrong???? Wedding Photog VS Photo Journalist!!

nixfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

First time post and while I have some local feedback I'd just like to educate myself a little more in case this happens again….

I run a reasonably successful wedding photography business in Ireland.

I mix that with some commercial work and portraiture, I never get involved in photojournalim or release photo's to papers etc.

Business is going well and I secured my first high profile wedding this year.

All my clients are treated the same of course, but this was a well known individual getting married with a high profile in certain circles.

I was asked to try and head off to much media coverage by the bride and offered the nationals and local papers the photo's complimentary…. Their not into all the fuss and wanted a private day if possible.

All the papers bar 1 were happy with this, this paper sent both a journalist and a photographer…...

Or rather they came out on spec to find and sell a story back to the paper. Not a major deal to me as long as they didn't get in the way. I assumed they would hang back and not get involved in the day.

Everything played out ok and their ceremony went well, but as the couple were about to march down the aisle i noticed the press photog inside the church as did the bride. She sighed but said lets just get on with it.

At the bottom of the aisle i was just setting up one shot before letting them come toward the front door where anyone could have gotten their shot. But as I was setting up the press person decided to come over and tell them he wanted a photo for the national paper. " hi guys just looking for a shot for the ****, is that ok? " I suggested they wait a couple of minutes and they'd get their shot, but he made a comment to dismiss me and make me look like the bad guy and i just said fine go for it...

I stood to one side ( giving plenty of room ) they said could i move further away!!!! I saw red inside but held it in….

We got back to letting them greet their guests etc before letting them leave the church. This went fine up until we went to march them outside. There was a fun guard of honour outside that neither me, the bride or the groom knew about. The groomsman surprised them which was nice. No big deal to me normally as on a wedding your the main person and you have the show to yourself bar one or 2 relatives with cameras jumping into aisles etc =)

The Photojournalist had plonked himself less than 2 metres in front of the guard of honour dead centre in front of the couple. As I came out I thought about asking them to move back or back off. But not wanting to cause a scene ( stupidly ) I got in beside them. I got nice shots but was shooting with my 24-105 and they were shooting with a 16-35.
I would have changed my lense had I known it was being set up or had I the time. But I didn't and normally I could have moved further back, but this day I had someone who seemed intent on getting in my way…...

Again I saw red and the second I had a quiet moment away from everyone I approached them and gave him an ear bashing. He didn't give a toss, as long as he got his shot. Personally I think he was trying to wind me up. I'm his competition wedding wise, however I never bother with the newspaper side of things. He works for the nationals etc but is from my area……
We had words, he got smart in return and it was all handbags for a few seconds before I moved off to look after the couple..

I'm not annoyed that the shot he got made the nationals. I'm annoyed he prevented me from getting some shots I wanted for the Bride and Groom. I also sent out some photo's on the couples request as they would rather I got the publicity over someone who did nothing to organise and help them on their day…. There was not charge looked for etc and my photo's also made a bunch of papers. But this one shot ( great shot by the way he took it very well ) got most of the plaudits. I have the same photo, it's just tighter and dosen't capture the whole thing. It's 90% there not the 100% that I would want for them.

My thinking is he or she should never have set foot inside the church door……. The shot outside they could and should have waited to see where I wanted to set myself up and then gotten in beside me not the other way around………..

He-She was looking after themselves and themselves along getting paid for shots released to the papers and having their names attached to the photo's… I was trying to look after the couples best interests first, if I got some press afterwards all the better but it wasn't my first priority…..

BUT!!! The other issue now is one other local paper that came out after all the nationals received photo's from both parties and again the paper decided to use both batches of photo's….. This is the norm, I get it on jobs all over the country or the world. Some events have 10 photographers on site and the papers could use work from multiple sources…..

But the paper messed up and gave credit to some of my work to this other photographer…. So know I have a person who got in the way on the day getting credit for their own shots they prevented me from getting and getting credit for my work also as the paper could tag them correctly………..

The likely hood is because of this wedding, I will do more similar events. They will try the same thing again and these people arn't into security etc. Nor am I. But I feel their being taken advantage of in one sense.

But also as the Photographer chosen and hired to cover the job privately for a Private event on behalf of a high profile person. I feel gutted and annoyed and disrespected that this person can and would just walk in blag a few photo's and flog them to the papers or as many papers as they could and make it look like they shot the wedding themselves.

It would be like the papers messing up and saying the couple celebrated their event in hotel X, when in fact they were next door in hotel Y…. The Journalist with the Photographer actually did this stupidly and got roasted…..

So why should a Photographer just because their a "Journalist" think it's cool to make it look like they shot the wedding. When in fact another Photographer set the whole thing up…..

I know copyright is a grey area and anything they shoot is theirs.

But persoanlly I think it's morally wrong and as good as stealing………...

AM I WRONG ???

Also since the paper credited the images that are clearly mine to someone else, do I have a case against them??
Not looking to make waves etc, if the give me a nice editorial in their next wedding supplement i'd be happy.

But if they take the piss and ignore me do I have any case???

My contract says.. NO OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS. Pretty black and white. This is a private event. If they dont want someone to be there... then they should have their wish.

Mmmmmmm,

I do have a contract etc. It's pretty clear cut. But it dosen't say no other Photographers….

But it will from now on as this has never happened before, it won't be allowed happen again.

Or so I hope, if it says no other Photographers. Is that really gonna stop a Photo Journalist with a thick neck and the opinion that their within their rights to do as they please??

I know their within their rights technically.

But he's a piece of **** for doing what he did.

Another example of "Paparazzi taking advantage and doing as they please"

Paparazzi is different. They are actually at a public place (or stand in a public place at least). You should revise your contract. It is pretty standard to say no other pro photographer without your permission. It will give you more bullets just in case you got sued for under performing. You can blame the press for ruining your shots.

This is what I put on mine:

Responsibilities: Unless agreed upon in advance, XXXXXXXXX shall be the exclusive photographer retained for the event. Photographer may bring one assistant at his discretion. Videographers and other vendors as well as semiprofessional photographers must not obstruct or interfere with the official photography and are not allowed to take any still photos during formal sessions. Wedding guests may take photos, but it is the responsibility of Client to prevent family and friends from interfering with Photographer's duties. Photographer is not responsible for compromised coverage due to causes beyond his control such as other people's camera or flash, the lateness of the bride, groom, family members and bridal party members or other principles, weather conditions, schedule complications, rendering of decorations, or restrictions of the venues or officiate. Photographer is not responsible for existing backgrounds or lighting conditions which may negatively impact or restrict the photography coverage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back