What's new

"It factor"

mishele

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
13,661
Reaction score
4,898
Location
In your dreams!
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to find my groove...lol I want to create more sell-able shots w/ out changing my style. To do that I thought I might have to calm down some of the color. My flower shots have been SO bright and I don't see them working easily in people's homes.
So here is a desaturated one......
Does it work?
What are your thoughts about bright colors and how sell able they are?:D
5699893177_6aa484d44c.jpg
 
all those who love dreams would love this image too...so lovely
 
Good selective focus and the colors work, but I think some of the brighter areas around the edges draw attention away from the middle of the photo where you want people to look, especially the upper right corner. A little cropping and a little darkening would help the corner. The areas near the bottom are not as distracting, but consider tweaking those also.

As for what sells, I have no idea - never tried to do it.
 
Frankly my dear if I knew what sells in art I would be retired :lol:

It is always best to go with what you like especially when your subject is already one that sells fairly easily. By doing what you like, you will usually do it better than if you try and think in terms of sales.

Otherwise, talk to a poster company. I'm sure they have gurus that tell them when to stop printing kittens and puppies and switch over to the flowers...
 
I think the desaturation works, but I think you could get away with a little more saturation. I think there's probably a fine line between something that is "more compatible" with people's homes and such and something that is no longer interesting because the colors are too muted. I think if someone were to buy one of your shots they'd want it to stand out at least a little bit, and not just blend in.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
Frankly my dear if I knew what sells in art I would be retired :lol:

It is always best to go with what you like especially when your subject is already one that sells fairly easily. By doing what you like, you will usually do it better than if you try and think in terms of sales.

Otherwise, talk to a poster company. I'm sure they have gurus that tell them when to stop printing kittens and puppies and switch over to the flowers...

lol I know no one can predict what will sell and what won't. But I can always take the extra step when I'm shooting to think about what color tones that would have a higher percentage of people looking to buy them.
On a side note........cloud.....portfolio is printed and in a book to start shopping it around. I order 15 large prints of them and I'm ready to mat and frame....=)
Wish me luck.....lol
Only took me over a year since you told me to do it....lol :sexywink:
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
I think the desaturation works, but I think you could get away with a little more saturation. I think there's probably a fine line between something that is "more compatible" with people's homes and such and something that is no longer interesting because the colors are too muted. I think if someone were to buy one of your shots they'd want it to stand out at least a little bit, and not just blend in.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Good point.......I guess it does come back to the individual and you can't predict what they will want.
 
lol I know no one can predict what will sell and what won't. But I can always take the extra step when I'm shooting to think about what color tones that would have a higher percentage of people looking to buy them.

This reminds me of an experiment I did a few years back. I painted a series of canvases according to Phi, the Golden Number, the Divine Proportion to see what reactions I would get. They didn't sell better than my usual weird stuff. Actually, quite the opposite :)



On a side note........cloud.....portfolio is printed and in a book to start shopping it around. I order 15 large prints of them and I'm ready to mat and frame....=)
Wish me luck.....lol
Only took me over a year since you told me to do it....lol :sexywink:

Good. Luck!
 
I like the way you have been doing it.
 
I agree with orion, though I can't pretend to come up with a percentage, but I would argue that a majority, (as small as 51% even LOL) want art to stand out. Personally I don't buy art for my house that blends in.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
Do you also have to think about your market place? I don't live in NYC. I live in a more country type of setting. I find it harder to believe that people in my market area are going to be into extreme colors. Do I throw all that out the window and not think about that stuff or do I think of this more like a business? I'm just throwing around questions. I think it is interesting figuring out the balance. Or maybe there really isn't one.

I'm prolly over thinking it........:greenpbl::sexywink:
 
Is that lot of people her target market?

You can pander to your audience to a degree, but be careful you don't "lose" yourself in doing so.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #14
The shot above is an example that is still very much me but with a bit less color. There is definitely a line that I would not cross just to sell a shot.
 
I can only repeat what I told you once, I think. It all depends on how you want to approach photography.

If you want to be an artist, forget about sales (although they are very nice) and do what makes you happy.

If you want to sell through your interior designer contact, talk to him/her about what colors and tones to output. I'm sure this person knows what sells today in your area.

And you can do both if you really want but not with the same images or even closely related themes. And it could come back to haunt you if you ever get anywhere as an artist.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom