What's new

"It factor"

Honestly, if you're trying to sell short editions of "decorative art" to the general American population, I think you'd have much better sales numbers if the images were not so shallow in their depth of field. From what I have gathered over the years, many regular folks dislike out of focus foreground elements. From my dealings with editors over the years, most of them are opposed to out of focus foreground bokeh,and will virtually never, ever choose a picture where a large OOF foreground element has been included, no mater how clever I thought the use of OOF foreground bokeh was. And from my experience, that is exactly the opposite among Asian culture reared people; if you spend any time on any of the east Asian photo sites (and I do, actually), you will see lots of images made where shallow depth of field, and OOF foreground bokeh, are combined. As the scientific community in the west is beginning to discover, visual perception appears to be different between Asian cultures and "western" or non-Asian cultures, and there is quite a bit of difference between how the two different groups view, evaluate, and relate to images. MY feeling is that western, American viewers who are NOT photographers, are as a whole rather disinclined to like ultra shallow depth of field images, and/or images that use OOF foreground bokeh. Similarly, the majority of Americans favor kitschy crap over fine art images, and they prefer straightforward representational art for "decorative" purposed, rather than artistic,sensitive,or daring fine art. MY feeling is, if you want floral images that will sell,readily, you need to move away from the shallow DOF, semi-abstract images, where the "hook" is a micro-thin depth of field band then a big,overall fade into OOF bokeh.

Note: this particular picture does not have OOF foreground bokeh, since the DOF zone is of the foreground, but on many floral close-ups, there WILL BE much OOF foreground bokeh, and in-focus zones farther back into the flower.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #17
The portfolio that I assembled is all in vivid colors. This might of been part of me second guessing myself. So we will see how that decision works out. :sexywink:

Cloud, did you have different portfolios that you submitted to only certain Galleries?
 
Cloud, did you have different portfolios that you submitted to only certain Galleries?

Yes and No.

Yes, because I didn't show the same stuff in painting and photo galleries.

No, because I only showed my newest stuff. Some of which never got shown btw. My stuff changed/evolved quite quickly. At least a lot more than yours, lol.

But I haven't really taken a portfolio around in a long time. I just send samples of my latest work, they tell me what to get in to be shot for the catalogs, what they want in the gallery for sale purposes, etc. Right now, since I don't have time (or the energy?) to paint, they live off of my stock.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #19
Derrel.........we are about to see what the market is......lol
 
But I can always take the extra step when I'm shooting to think about what color tones that would have a higher percentage of people looking to buy them.
I think that's the worst decision you could ever make, even if it has a positive impact on the bottom line. Your stuff is artistic, and I can only assume it makes you happy AND is a release a the same time. Changing your creative process in the hope that it would make you some money WILL KILL THAT. It would stop being a passion and it would become a burden.

Do you also have to think about your market place? I don't live in NYC. I live in a more country type of setting. I find it harder to believe that people in my market area are going to be into extreme colors. Do I throw all that out the window and not think about that stuff or do I think of this more like a business? I'm just throwing around questions. I think it is interesting figuring out the balance. Or maybe there really isn't one.
I think that instead of adjusting your work to what you think people would buy, you should probably try to think who would buy what you have. Is it the Asian crowd, like Derrell said? Maybe, so try to target that market. In my opinion, your current stuff HAS to sell – it's too good, and too unique (and you should price it accordingly). Any of your photos would look frigging awesome printed big and hung on a wall at any big-time company. Target those! Why think that the locals won't buy your stuff? Try them, you might be surprised. Maybe try to show your stuff at a local community centre, or restaurante/cafe, and then be there to see how people react. And don't limit yourself to your area – the internet can do wonders for you.

Just my 2 cents :)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #21
Thanks babe......:hug::
I just needed to be slapped around a little today.....lol I'm taking that leap this summer of getting my stuff out there and it made me second guess myself. I'm all over that now.......look out art world here I come!! :lol:

The Interior Designer that I have been talking to is from India....lol She has told me she loves my work but most of her clients want paintings. She has said she would be in touch if she has any takers.
 
In my opinion, your current stuff HAS to sell – it's too good, and too unique (and you should price it accordingly). Any of your photos would look frigging awesome printed big and hung on a wall at any big-time company. Target those! Why think that the locals won't buy your stuff? Try them, you might be surprised. Maybe try to show your stuff at a local community centre, or restaurante/cafe, and then be there to see how people react. And don't limit yourself to your area – the internet can do wonders for you.

Nicely put!

Mish I have to agree, I don't think your work has to be changed in order cater to what sells out there b/c look at the reactions you are getting here in TPF, they are for the most part positive. I can safely say that the majority of us here love looking at your work(Those who think otherwise are tasteless losers btw!:lol:). It has already sold itself in many of our eyes, and it's to the ones I think who have great taste and have an eye for it. So now I think it's time to include yourself in the package. Get out there with your portfolio and some sample prints, locally and on the internet, and expose yourself as the artist. Say it with your chest "God darnit, this is Mishele and I take pictures of flowers with high saturation!"

If your looking for a “sale”, don’t sell out your craft but instead sell yourself as the artist as many have mentioned above. That’s what’s going to be the most challenging for you yet the most rewarding if it all falls through. I think that’s the only way to really stand out in the market. Your work is reputable enough where a high colouful finish vs desaturated is insignificant. Regardless of the colour finish I can almost always tell it’s your work.
 
Too fuzzy all around. The little bit you have in focus needs to be more crisp.
All in all your style is soothing and would be a great fit for hospital and doctor office walls.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #24
camz, I know.........it's time for me to forget about everyone else and just do my thing. :hug:: I appreciate the kind words!! The pep talks have really helped today...lol ( I promise I won't make you guys do this again...:sexywink:) I will keep people posted on how things go.....=)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #25
Thanks Mike.......I don't know if flickr messed w/ my shot or what, but it is sharp. I can see why you would think it's not though. I noticed it when I looked at it on flickr. Thanks for the comment!!
 
The Interior Designer that I have been talking to is from India....lol She has told me she loves my work but most of her clients want paintings. She has said she would be in touch if she has any takers.
Learn to paint, and reproduce your images. What? People dot it all the time!
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #27
The Interior Designer that I have been talking to is from India....lol She has told me she loves my work but most of her clients want paintings. She has said she would be in touch if she has any takers.
Learn to paint, and reproduce your images. What? People dot it all the time!
If I had the time and the space to do that, I just might!! It would prolly sell better than photography!! I think, I actually brought that up to cloud at one point....=)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom