In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shortened my daily walk today.
With wind chill the temp was -12° F, or 44° F below freezing.

Currently with wind chill it's -26° F out.

Tomorrow between 9 AM and 11 AM, with wind chill it's supposed to be -31° F.
By 2 PM it will 'warm up' to -26 w/wind chill.

The local forecasters here keep pushing back the next time we'll see the freezing mark here.

Fortunately, I live about 300 yards from the local river and about a mile from Long Island Sound. The water temps are still in the low 40s, so it helps to moderate the true cold from reaching us. The lowest temperature we've had this week is 6*F. With the wind chill tacked on, we were well below zero.

To make the degree symbol ° hold down the Alt key and type 0176.

Tonight, New Years Eve, at mid-night the forecast says -15°, and will feel like -34° w/wind chill.

Tonight, New Years Eve, at mid-night the forecast says -15°, and will feel like -34° w/wind chill.

Good to know!

I’m shooting fireworks over the local city tonight at 10pm. Going to be 4 degrees farenheit with a wind chill down for -15 or so.

Great tip Thanks for sharing!! You left off the part about having to use the numeric keypad to enter 0176 though. Alt+ 248 works on a PC also.

26° here currently falling to 16° by late afternoon. Not much improvement tomorrow, low projected to be 15° then back up into the 30-40's for the rest of the week. I thought I was living in the south!!

It's -20° out, sunny, and the wind chill makes it feel like -41°. That's 73° below freezing and 113° lower than the 72° I have my thermostat set to.
These are above the arctic circle temperatures, not Iowa temps.

Grew up in Missouri, I can remember one winter I went out to cut fire wood. The temperature was right at -10°. After working a bit I was starting to work up a sweat in my insulated work gear, so I got in the truck to take a break, turned on the radio, to find that the temperature had dropped to -20°. I can remember that the first couple of days those sub zero temperatures felt really bad, but after that it seemed like it froze all the moisture out of the air, and wasn't as bad as warmer temperatures with a lot of moisture.

The colder air is the less moisture it can hold.
There is way less moisture in the air at 100% relative humidity at 0° than at 100° F.

Home thermometer currently says -14° with a wind chill of -20°, but that's down low in the trees, so we don't see as much wind as some parts of town. Officially at the airport it's -19° actual. Yeah, it's cold. In a recent interview with someone from Texas, they asked about the cold. When I explained that we break out the shorts when the temps hit 40° in the spring, he laughed and then realized I was serious. It's all relative.

But when we can see temps at 110°+ in the summer, we get some pretty crazy temperature swings.

Last 3 days minus wind chill was single digits
Today was only -8.
20180106_142447.jpg

Hot dog!
It's 33° and wind chill is double digits on the PLUS side of the thermometer - at 'feels like' 23°.

The local forecasters here keep pushing back the next time we'll see the freezing mark here.

Fortunately, I live about 300 yards from the local river and about a mile from Long Island Sound. The water temps are still in the low 40s, so it helps to moderate the true cold from reaching us. The lowest temperature we've had this week is 6*F. With the wind chill tacked on, we were well below zero.
-7 here in Pgh. this morning

I'm just curious, is it normal, where you're from, to compare temperatures included wind chill?

Where I'm from it never gets really cold, but if we include wind chill and humidity, it can be quite unpleasant. Still we have to live with the rest of the country laughing at us for being weak since only what the thermometer shows counts.

Today it's 19° F, humid, but not so windy. I'll open the bedroom window before I go to sleep.

Most reactions

Back