Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
mBzRx.jpg

1yzle.jpg

And these are the first shots with this lens:

5yVoP.jpg

9uewA.jpg

Oh my god, the bokeh is so beautiful! I'm in love with it already.

You don't actually mention the name of the lens?

It says in the picture. Jupiter-8 50mm f/2...

Got some serious CA going on there.

Yeah I noticed it on the Nikon logo when I first opened up the file. But for 20 bucks all I'm looking for is sharpness and it's a lot sharper than I thought it would be.

Got some serious CA going on there.

That's an understatement, what's so great about this lens? Serious question, you seem excited about it.

It was $20 bucks, is pretty sharp and the OP is gonna have fun using it. What more does one need to get excited about something?

My CRT monitor must REALLY suck because I don't see any CA on these images...

There is a bit. You can even see it on 100 magnification on my GF2's viewfinder.

That's an understatement, what's so great about this lens? Serious question, you seem excited about it.

But there isn't nearly as CA as you make it sound either. I had a Nikon 24mm that had more CA than this.

I could explain how holding a lens that is older than my parents makes me feel like I'm in some way experiencing history, but I'm not going to. I'm not going to go into the fact that I can almost sense the kinds of photographers that used this lens before me, how it turns easier from the 0.5m to 2m range and how it gets stiffer around infinity. And I'm not even going to go into the fact that the its tendency to flare and render in low contrast gives every image a temporal quality, so that even an image shot of a D7000 can be transported back to 1955. I'm not going to into the feeling of turning an aperture ring of a lens that may have served some middle aged Ukrainian family man who may have just recently bought a Zorki-6 and just taught himself how to use a camera so that he could take pictures of his family on vacation. No, I'm not going to go into the sublime joy of operating a simple mechanical lens with no automation or try to describe the feeling of delicate control. I shouldn't have to explain the zen of photography.

No, I'm not going to try to explain the beauty of imperfection.

If autofocus speed and 3D tracking and high ISO performance and dynamic range and image stabilization is your thing, fine, I like those things too. But that's not why I like photography.

LgFSa.jpg

This is the 100% crop. The CA is definitely there. But it's not that bad. And this is shot wide open. Oh I also like that the stops aren't by incremented by 3rds.

Most reactions

Back