limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
But I do wonder why it looks like it selective color.

$Chrysler digital.jpg

I took this with my Canon digital camera. It's not a DSLR, it's an SX130IS. I use it mainly for snapshots, some test shots, or as a light meter. I took this as a test shot for metering for some shots I wanted to take on film with my Zorki 6 (which does not have a light meter). I was also cross referencing a light meter app I have on my phone.

Because it was just a test shot for exposure, I didn't bother to check what settings I had the camera in. For the record, the digital is always in manual mode, occasionally in a priority mode. It's never ever in full Auto. The film was 100 ISO, so I did set the Canon to 100 ISO. I think it was in Auto white balance. For colors, I'm pretty sure it was in "Positive Film" mode.

I'm curious about why the shadows look like they're black and white. Is this a natural limitation of digital? Of shooting in jpeg? Of shooting with Positive Film mode?

Here is the film shot, if any comparison is desired:
$Chrysler film.jpg

And the color really was quite orange-y (sunrise), though it is more garishly so in the digital version. The film I was using also has lower color saturation, so if I were shooting Ektar, for example, the colors might have looked more saturated like the digital shot:
$Moon.jpg

All the shots are unprocessed other than some cropping, perspective correction, and some rough dust removal on the film scans.

Bump to see any of my digital gurus have any ideas?

Well that leave me out of it! (digital guru) LOL I'm not familiar with your camera, does it have some sort of vivid setting? Mine does but it's over the top, I've used it maybe once.

Could the camera be reading that grayness of the shade as tones of B&W? I don't know if it could have to do with shooting JPEG, once I switched to Raw and manual there's been no going back so I haven't used JPEG much anymore. (My digital camera actually is DNG so it automatically produces both.) I don't remember offhand any pictures in mixed sun and shade turning out like this.

Keep bumping it I guess.

The film shot shows clearly that the shadows ARE pretty grey. Orange and blue, I guess, makes grey?

I would guess that the JPEG rendering (bad JPEG rendering) somewhere along the way threw out a bunch of low-level color info? That's just a wild-assed guess though.

As I understand it canon's positive film mode enhances colors and in particular blue which would account for the more contrasted shadows. It would also account for the higher color saturation on the other portions of the shot. Take the same picture without the "Positive film" mode and most likely you'll get a result far closer to the non-saturated film version.

Well that leave me out of it! (digital guru) LOL I'm not familiar with your camera, does it have some sort of vivid setting? Mine does but it's over the top, I've used it maybe once.

Could the camera be reading that grayness of the shade as tones of B&W? I don't know if it could have to do with shooting JPEG, once I switched to Raw and manual there's been no going back so I haven't used JPEG much anymore. (My digital camera actually is DNG so it automatically produces both.) I don't remember offhand any pictures in mixed sun and shade turning out like this.

Keep bumping it I guess.

It does have a Vivid Colors setting but I don't like it. I found the Positive Film to be somewhere in between. The regular mode always seemed a bit flat and the Positive Film bumped the colors just enough without going as far as the Vivid Color mode goes.

Shooting in RAW - and the use of my Pentax lenses - is one of the reasons I'll probably eventually upgrade to a DSLR. I don't like shooting in jpeg but this camera leaves me with now choice.

The film shot shows clearly that the shadows ARE pretty grey. Orange and blue, I guess, makes grey?

I would guess that the JPEG rendering (bad JPEG rendering) somewhere along the way threw out a bunch of low-level color info? That's just a wild-assed guess though.

The shadows are grey but they show more brown in the film, and they don't look like black and white. I think there is some color information that is missing in the digital version.

As I understand it canon's positive film mode enhances colors and in particular blue which would account for the more contrasted shadows. It would also account for the higher color saturation on the other portions of the shot. Take the same picture without the "Positive film" mode and most likely you'll get a result far closer to the non-saturated film version.

Ah, I didn't know this. Next time I'm down in the city for the sunrise, I'll try it in another mode for comparison sake. In the meantime, I'm fairly satisfied with the film shots.

And that tells you what a geek I am - I hate getting up that early, and if I've already got a good shot, there's no reason for me to do so again. And yet I WILL just to get more data! :)

Keep bumping it I guess.

It does have a Vivid Colors setting but I don't like it. I found the Positive Film to be somewhere in between. The regular mode always seemed a bit flat and the Positive Film bumped the colors just enough without going as far as the Vivid Color mode goes.

Shooting in RAW - and the use of my Pentax lenses - is one of the reasons I'll probably eventually upgrade to a DSLR. I don't like shooting in jpeg but this camera leaves me with now choice.

The shadows are grey but they show more brown in the film, and they don't look like black and white. I think there is some color information that is missing in the digital version.

Ah, I didn't know this. Next time I'm down in the city for the sunrise, I'll try it in another mode for comparison sake. In the meantime, I'm fairly satisfied with the film shots.

And that tells you what a geek I am - I hate getting up that early, and if I've already got a good shot, there's no reason for me to do so again. And yet I WILL just to get more data! :)

Now now.. we don't refer to ourselves as geeks, we prefer the term enthusiasts. Now as a fellow camera geek.. er.. enthusiast... lol I get where your coming from. I do have to occasionally force myself out of bed sometimes on weekends though, the light just as the sun is coming up can make for some incredible silhouette shots:

DSC_0055 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Awesome elk! Morning light or cool animal shots are really the only things that shake me out of the morning stupor.

Many years ago, I somehow woke up really early and actually opened my eyes all the way (normally I would just throw the pillow over my head and go back to sleep ;) ). I saw this:
$Day 145 - Akmerkez sunrise.jpg
Somehow I had a loaded camera next to my bed, so I stumbled out onto the balcony and shot this. Another miracle is that I actually got the exposure and caught the light just as it was.

Last edited:
Awesome elk! Morning light or cool animal shots are really the only things that shake me out of the morning stupor.

Many years ago, I somehow woke up really early and actually opened my eyes all the way (normally I would just throw the pillow over my ad and go back to sleep ;) ). I saw this:
View attachment 59440
Somehow I had a loaded camera next to my bed, so I stumbled out onto the balcony and shot this. Another miracle is that I actually got the exposure and caught the light just as it was.

Well I think you should give yourself bonus points for a) getting this totally awesome capture and b) not falling off the balcony.

There is a reason I bought a one story house.. lol

Woot, bonus points :cheer: Not falling off the balcony really deserves the points, too. It had a low railing, I was on the 6th floor, and I can be fairly uncoordinated in the morning.

Woot, bonus points :cheer: Not falling off the balcony really deserves the points, too. It had a low railing, I was on the 6th floor, and I can be fairly uncoordinated in the morning.

I generally don't hit "fairly uncoordinated" until at least my third cup of coffee. Before that, I'm afraid:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back