It's time to make a change.

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the last couple weeks I've really been thinking a lot what photography meant to me. Photography has always been a way for me to express myself and to escape reality when shoot, I can forget about the issues I have and just go shoot and have fun. But the last couple years, I haven't been having fun. I'm not enjoying it anymore, I don't bring my camera with me hardly ever anymore unless I intend to take photos.

Why is that? I need to stop lying to myself. It's the camera, the weight isn't an issue for me but it's the size. I'm just not comfortable with it anymore. When I use it when I go out, it feels like a burden at times. I don't feel like I'm having fun anymore, you know what I mean? It's hard to explain.

But I really want to have fun shooting again. I want to enjoy it. And by doing that, I believe I'll be better at it. I'll probably feel more inclined to shoot and bring my camera with me a lot more.

So what am I going to do? Well, after a lot of thought and research I'm pretty much set on switching to Fuji. Yeah. I said I was never going to do that. But I've been thinking about it for the last couple years and it has never went away. Deep down, I know it's what I want.

I know there will be compromises and that's okay. New challenges will be a good thing for me.

So with that being said. I need some advice on camera and lens combinations. My current gear is in pretty dang good shape, I should be able to get top dollar for them.

So I'm expecting to have a budget of around $3500-4000 which I think is a good number. I'd prefer not to go that high if possible. I'm okay with used gear, no issues there although, I'd prefer a new body over a used one (for warranty reasons) but if there is a MAJOR price difference, then I'd consider.

As for the body...I've basically narrowed it down to three and they are the obvious XT-2, X Pro-2, and the XE3.

Since I do oasically make YouTube videos, the XT-2 might be the best route for me. However, the XE3 also shoots decent video and has good auto focus so that is a cheaper option but the camera isn't weather sealed and since I am often outdoors, I'd prefer weather sealed.

I do really like the X-Pro 2 because of its size and rangefinder design, something I am familiar with when I use the X100 for a while. But it's not so good for video however, I probably could make do with it if need be.

From pictures I've seen, the XT-2 and X-Pro 2 appear to be almost the same size anyways. However, the X-Pro 2 has a optical viewfinder and I really love optical viewfinders so I'm really stuck.

As for lenses, I have no idea. I'd want for sure to get the 23 f/2 and I can probably get by with their "kit" lens the 18-55 2.8-f/4. I'd like to add a macro as well. Also would love a ultra wide option, not sure if I could live without one hahaha.

Now the telephoto lenses is tough one, they are a little more expensive and I could possibly do without...for now. But I'd like to have a longer focal length option if possible. Even it's just a prime.

I'm not sure if I have room in my budget for all of these and I know I'll have to make sacrifices but I believe I can get by with less. I am open to third party glass as well.

What would you recommend?

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, my biggest concern is battery life. That's what worries me the most.

Last edited:
Can I recommend sitting on your hands and just take your time before switching.

I went dslr to M43, back to dslr but kept some m43 only to find my greed/gas or whatever it is made me want lenses and bits and pieces. I eventually discovered/realised the d5*** series nikons are now very very small and there are small good performing dx lenses available. Sure, the dx wont perform to quite the level as the fx you currently have but at least you can use any current gear and mix and match, likely also costing you less.

YMMV but for example a d5500/5600 with a 35mm dx would practically do a similar job to your d610 with 50mm, but at about half the weight and size, just my 2 cents

Can I recommend sitting on your hands and just take your time before switching.

I went dslr to M43, back to dslr but kept some m43 only to find my greed/gas or whatever it is made me want lenses and bits and pieces. I eventually discovered/realised the d5*** series nikons are now very very small and there are small good performing dx lenses available. Sure, the dx wont perform to quite the level as the fx you currently have but at least you can use any current gear and mix and match, likely also costing you less.

YMMV but for example a d5500/5600 with a 35mm dx would practically do a similar job to your d610 with 50mm, but at about half the weight and size, just my 2 cents

I appreciate the advice, but I don't think that will work for me.

No bother. You gotta do what works for you

I'll be honest, I'm a little scared of switching but if it makes me happy and enjoy photography again, then it would be well worth it.

Make a stretch and buy the camera and one lens first, used. And see how you like it.

Also, I believe the XT-2 (& XT-1) is the only one that offers a grip if that interests you.
@jcdeboever

Sounds like the you should do some renting of the cameras and lenses FIRST!

Make a stretch and buy the camera and one lens first, used. And see how you like it.

Also, I believe the XT-2 (& XT-1) is the only one that offers a grip if that interests you.
@jcdeboever

That would be probably the best option honestly.

Oh you man, you had to tag him...he's going to laugh at me again. haha.

Sounds like the you should do some renting of the cameras and lenses FIRST!

Budget is an issue, I need all the funds I can get. However, I am familiar with Fuji X camera as I've owned them before.

X-Pro 2 is smaller than the XT2. Weight and size gain comes when you add the battery grip to the XT2. You just need to pocket a couple of extra batteries, the wasabee brand is good and a third of the price. If your a right eye shooter, the X-Pro 2 is great. The 16mm 1.4 is an amazing lens, not ultra wide but excellent image quality. Fujifilm is coming out with a 8-16 f2.8 soon. No flip screen on the Xpro2. I never use mine on the XT2. The 18-55 is not your normal kit lens, it has excellent micro contrast and color rendering. Lately, I've been using the 16 mostly. The 55-200 is a fantastic zoom, just look at the images on the X-photographers website. Think about what you use now and match it with = crop factor focal length. As I've evolved, I prefer primes only because it's one less thing to think about. All their glass is stellar except for the 18mm or so I read. If you pop on one, let me know. I have a couple lens I can sell you, excellent condition. I have the 23f/2, 18-55, 60mm macro, and the 55-200 I can sell you at a good price, including box's, caps, and hoods. I just don't use them. I use the 16, 56, 50-140, 80, and 100-400 mainly. Shoot me a PM if interested. I'm not going to have them long.

@jcdeboever

That would be probably the best option honestly.

Oh you man, you had to tag him...he's going to laugh at me again. haha.
No way, your coming over to the good side[emoji12] . X-Pro 2 is a wonderful camera and a lot smaller, lighter than the XT2 with battery grip. I use mine a lot, maybe more than the XT2 but not as much as film. I'm left eye dominant so my nose smashes up against the LCD but I never look at it anyway. I do everything in viewfinder.

Haha now I'm confused.

Not sure which way to go!

I am leaning toward the XT2 only because it has the video features I need and the better viewfinder. The flippy screen will be handy for some stuff I do.

Is the XT2 + 23 f/2 a good pairing together? I love that focal length. It was a BLAST when I had the X100. I want that feeling again.

I am concerned about battery life and the smaller sensor, but I've seen a lot of full frame photographers switch and I've been messing around with some raw files, espeically low light ones and I am pretty surprised by how well they hold up. Like I said, I know there will be compromises but I'm okay with a new challenge. It might be exactly what I need to get my mojo back again.

I love my DSLR and I will totally miss it. But it doesn't mean I wont get one again. If I do get into paid work, then I'll probably pick one up again. However right now...I really want to focus on my photography first and foremost.

Big change, big decision. Fun!
Aside from the fact that the Fuji is a fantastic system, I think you might find inspiration in the change. A whole new kit, new toys. That stuff makes me want to go and shoot like crazy. That's part of the fun of the hobby.

Big picture, economically, is it the better option? I dunno. Not my biggest priority.

Good luck and have fun!

Big change, big decision. Fun!
Aside from the fact that the Fuji is a fantastic system, I think you might find inspiration in the change. A whole new kit, new toys. That stuff makes me want to go and shoot like crazy. That's part of the fun of the hobby.

Big picture, economically, is it the better option? I dunno. Not my biggest priority.

Good luck and have fun!

That's what I'm kind of thinking, the change to something completely different might be inspirational and could new doors for me. I've read over and over again how many photographers who switched from DSLR have said the same dang thing. There must be a reason why. I gotta do it to find out. It could be a HUGE mistake. But I'm willing to take the risk!

Follow John's lead .. buy one of both !!

Most reactions

Back