I've been asked for a print of this.

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been posting some of my pictures on facebook and enjoy getting the attention. A couple people have mentioned wanting to frame some, so I give them a link to the full-size images. But now someone has asked for a print and is willing to pay. I still consider myself a rank amateur and wouldn't know what to charge for a print anyway. Your thoughts on the picture and the idea of selling a print would be appreciated.

$bucks-lake-rd1407-01.jpg

Vignetting is a little to heavy on such a bright and vivid image. Especially in the sky.

The scene really lacks anything interesting. The barn isn't that unique and eye catching.

I do however like how your composed the fence line.

Different location with a better barn would of been ideal and less vig.

It is a nice shot though, just lacking that 'wow factor'.

I would figure out what it would cost to supply them with a print, and then just charge them that. no profit. After all, sounds like you are in this for the art, not the money. If somebody enjoys your work, share it with them!

I've been posting some of my pictures on facebook and enjoy getting the attention. A couple people have mentioned wanting to frame some, so I give them a link to the full-size images. But now someone has asked for a print and is willing to pay. I still consider myself a rank amateur and wouldn't know what to charge for a print anyway. Your thoughts on the picture and the idea of selling a print would be appreciated.

Quite a few places where you can order a print online, I guess the question is do you just want to charge them for the actual print cost or were you hoping to make a bit extra for the image? Either way there are a lot of places online that you can have print it and then have it shipped straight to them, cost usually varies by size and material that you print on. If your looking to make a bit extra, figure out what shipping the print would cost to them and add in your extra, otherwise maybe have them pick out the place they want to print it, send you the info and have them deal with the printer directly for payment.

If your going to do the arrangements yourself though word to the wise, make sure whatever form of payment they use actually clears before you put out any of your own money to have it printed/shipped.

.. wouldn't know what to charge for a print anyway.

Specify the size, get some firm prices from a printer, calculate the shipping costs, add it all up and double it. If they still want it, get full payment in advance.

Cost plus 50%.

I would reduce the vignetting effect somewhat, about 50% at least. Hey...I've been to southern Oregon and No-Cal...that looks like a nice place!

Any recommendations for an online printer?

What do they want? Paper, canvas, framed, rolled?

I use winkflash.com a lot but not sure if that would be up to the quality they are looking for.

Charge - Your cost x3 for a print - plus any shipping.

If a print costs you $10 you sell the print for $30 + shipping (from the print lab to you and then you to the buyer if not local).

The photo has an oddball print aspect ratio (16:9) which means you'll need to get a custom print made.
Plus whoever buys the print will have trouble finding a frame.
A 6000x3375 px image @ 375 ppi will be a 16" x 9" print.

You could handle the framing for the buyer and can order custom size framing material from an online source like http://www.americanframe.com/

You could have the print made on standard 10x20 paper @ 350 ppi and the photo will be 17.1" x 9.5" with white border of 1.45" on each side and 0.25" top and bottom. The border would help with framing, but an online lab - like Mpix.com - will trim prints that large with borders for you at no extra charge.

If you want a bigger print go to 15 x 30 paper and 225 ppi. The photo will then be 26.7" x 15" and there will be no border at the top/bottom.

pixels / ppi = inches
pixels / inches = ppi
inches x ppi = pixels

Another pricing scheme is to charge by the square inch.
A 16" x 9" print is 144 sq. in. At $0.50 per square inch a 16x9 print would cost $72.

Last edited:
There are pricing guidelines on sites of pro photographers organization like ASMP or maybe try PPA (I use resources on ASMP so am more familiar with their site).

Pricing in my area at art shows etc. varies and more established artists/photographers usually price higher. Seems like the going rate is maybe around $25 for a matted 5x7? up to 50 for a matted 8x10, and larger prints may be sold matted or framed so that seems to vary.

I print my own but I'd want to get a print from a place online and see it first. Depends on how well you know your prospective buyers thru FB I suppose, if you provide a print sight unseen and the quality isn't good if they'd be happy with it or not (and I would only be providing lower res copies, I wouldn't be linking to hi res or original copies unless it was someone I knew well). And I wouldn't just go by how much the print costs to have done, I think anyone's photography represents talent, and time spent learning and practicing and developing skills, it's not just paying for the paper and ink.

That should make a lovely print, although I agree I'd prefer less vignetting and maybe crop a little instead (I tend to think why have extra space in your composition then fill it in with darker shading?). I like the way the fence draws the viewer back to the barn but there might be more space to the left than you need in your composition.

I charge by the square inch. I generally charge around $0.40 per sq in. I based that one averaging similar landscape photographers online.

I use either Mpix or BayPhoto for my printing.

If it's going to be a 'regular' print (not canvas or something like that), then I would suggest that you order a mounted print if it's going to be larger than 8x10. Most labs will have mounting options like card stock or foam board.

This should ensure that the print won't warp over time and it makes it a more sturdy product for shipping. It does add to the cost, but if you make sure to account for that in the price to your customer, it shouldn't be an issue.

Popular on-line recommendations that I often hear (for the US)
Mpix.com
Bayphoto.com
whcc.com

Yeah, the vignetting is a little too dark. But I really like this shot. I don't know what it is, the contrast, colors, or what. It just is a very nice picture that takes me out of myself into another place. Do you recall the processing and equipment you used?

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone. Alan, my equipment was a Nikon D5300, Nikkor 16.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens shot at 16mm, f/20, 1/4s. I used a circular polarizer and a tripod. My post-processing was done in Lightroom 5.5 and finished in Corel Paintshop Pro 6.

Although the subject, the barn, may not resonate with many, it is approaching landmark status where I live. I have been concentrating on the small patch of 2,600 square miles of where I live and that tiny portion I have access to via car or Segway. I can't walk very far because of lung disease, but I haven't found that to be lacking in great subject matter.

Jim

Most reactions

Back