I've been doing photography for 5 months now and i want some tips and info please!

goes for image amount, I'll simply post singular photoshoots instead of many.

Every new member goes through a learning curve as you get acquainted with members and they with you.

One thing Katomi mentioned above about how he views mages reminded me, that unlike Instagram, FB, etc., TPF is a forum devoted to photography, a place to share, learn and discuss. Unlike the click through social media sites where likes, views, etc are the thing, here members like to stop and actually study an image, before commenting good or bad.

Thanks for the thorough look-through! I gotta admit I didn't even notice the head above the porsche in image 017 upon editing, it really does distract a lot. From what I got from your critique it seems I have to pay way more attention to the little things in the photo and do some cloning out work.
As for the light painting, It's really fun to do it but a bit difficult without any feedback from the camera lol. It's so old that I don't have a Liveview, it's just the viewfinder that I can use. If I remember correctly, I think I did that image with bulb mode, is that how light painting is done? Well other than the camera side of things my light painting can definitely be more choreographed.
Thanks again!
First, I'm glad the comments were helpful. Second, I'm glad you're open to feedback. Sometimes people will post photos saying "critique" and what they really mean is "tell me I'm magnificent."

OK, as to the overall critique--it's less about "pay attention to the little things." Rather, it's about learning to SEE differently. My favorite all-time quote about photography is from the great Dorothea Lange. She said: "a camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera." Look at a landscape and your eye automatically ignores the empty cokecan in the fore ground and the telephone wire in the background and the glare on one part of the windshield. You're not CONSCIOUS about them. But unconsciously the scene feels uncomfortable to you. When you get better at composing a shot you don't just pay attention to "little things." You look at it and think "is this the best angle? If I wait 10 minutes I'll get better light." And "I'll need to crop out that wall with graffiti on it." All before you click the shutter. Because you're seeing the entire scene and deciding what stays in and what you want out of the picture. Which then affects when you shoot it, what you focus on, your DoF, your lighting, your angle, your shutter speed, and a range of other factors. It's less about "paying attention to the little things" and more about moving from "that's a cute picture, I'll take a snapshot" to instead "what story do I want this picture to tell and what tells that story and what distracts from it?"

As for light painting--that's a whole different subject. I do a lot of light painting and if I get started on that, you'll get "War and Peace--the Photo Text Version" from me. Best advice I can offer on that in one sentence is: be prepared to shoot a lot of exposures (each one a little different) so you learn what works and what doesn't.

Well I don't think I'm all that good and they all look real good to me. except for one thing, composition, think that's what its called. Going from the start you have picture's I would generally shoot in a panoramic form. I'd also move the car toward the back of the photo's so the car seems to have a direction to travel in. In the portrait view you end up with a lot of nothing above the car. The one panoramic view you put the car right in the center of the photo with to much room, for me anyway, at the back of the car. But you know at the end of the day I think the most important opinion is the guy that took the photo! So what would you change at tis point?

First, I'm glad the comments were helpful. Second, I'm glad you're open to feedback. Sometimes people will post photos saying "critique" and what they really mean is "tell me I'm magnificent."

OK, as to the overall critique--it's less about "pay attention to the little things." Rather, it's about learning to SEE differently. My favorite all-time quote about photography is from the great Dorothea Lange. She said: "a camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera." Look at a landscape and your eye automatically ignores the empty cokecan in the fore ground and the telephone wire in the background and the glare on one part of the windshield. You're not CONSCIOUS about them. But unconsciously the scene feels uncomfortable to you. When you get better at composing a shot you don't just pay attention to "little things." You look at it and think "is this the best angle? If I wait 10 minutes I'll get better light." And "I'll need to crop out that wall with graffiti on it." All before you click the shutter. Because you're seeing the entire scene and deciding what stays in and what you want out of the picture. Which then affects when you shoot it, what you focus on, your DoF, your lighting, your angle, your shutter speed, and a range of other factors. It's less about "paying attention to the little things" and more about moving from "that's a cute picture, I'll take a snapshot" to instead "what story do I want this picture to tell and what tells that story and what distracts from it?"

As for light painting--that's a whole different subject. I do a lot of light painting and if I get started on that, you'll get "War and Peace--the Photo Text Version" from me. Best advice I can offer on that in one sentence is: be prepared to shoot a lot of exposures (each one a little different) so you learn what works and what doesn't.
I wholeheartedly agree with that perspective of photography. The first thing I noticed in everyday life is "dang, it's really dark out" when to normal people it seems perfectly well lit. Photography gives you unique eyes to look at the world with. I'll keep trying to "get it right in camera" more as I continue shooting.

Well I don't think I'm all that good and they all look real good to me. except for one thing, composition, think that's what its called. Going from the start you have picture's I would generally shoot in a panoramic form. I'd also move the car toward the back of the photo's so the car seems to have a direction to travel in. In the portrait view you end up with a lot of nothing above the car. The one panoramic view you put the car right in the center of the photo with to much room, for me anyway, at the back of the car. But you know at the end of the day I think the most important opinion is the guy that took the photo! So what would you change at tis point?
I've been playing around with composition a lot considering when I go into a photoshoot the first thing I'm thinking is "how am I going to present this whole photoshoot with one Instagram post?" I've stitched together some posts to better explain this thought process of composition: ex1 is made of 7 image slides, ex 2 is made up of 6 image slides, ex3 is made of 5 image slides and ex4 is made up of 9 image slides.
I hope this clears up some questionable composition decisions.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 1
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 1
I've been playing around with composition a lot considering when I go into a photoshoot the first thing I'm thinking is "how am I going to present this whole photoshoot with one Instagram post?" I've stitched together some posts to better explain this thought process of composition: ex1 is made of 7 image slides, ex 2 is made up of 6 image slides, ex3 is made of 5 image slides and ex4 is made up of 9 image slides.
I hope this clears up some questionable composition decisions.
Some very nicely done sets!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back