I've been doing photography for 5 months now and i want some tips and info please!

Do you use a polarizer? They can help with reflections on glass and metal.
My polarizer arrived in just time for the Toyota Celica photoshoot, the black car, images 5 through 10 in the first image batch. I agree it helps a ton. Every other image is without a polarizer.

In your first batch
I liked the light painting, cc wise needs work, balance the light trail
Nice image

Some nice shots in those sets. I'll comment on the red Kia. The first one (6262) is nice, but could use a little cropping off the top, maybe half the distance between the horizon and the top. The second one (6264) is a nice panorama, but the car could be shifted a little more to the right, rather than in the center, that would be a little more appealing to the eye. On the third one (6268), nice focus but very off balance. With a car or a person or an animal, there should be more room in the direction the subject is facing, so in the case of this one, it would look more balanced if the car was on the right, facing into the middle of the shot, rather than on the left facing out of the frame. A lot of potential here. What camera are you using? Can you put a grid on the view to help compose the shots a little better?

In the first set posted I liked the first image with the man walking in the street. The blues look very nice. As mentioned before, post one two or three from the same set for better critique. It helps if you are asking for help on technical or creative.
Welcome to the forum

Some nice shots in those sets. I'll comment on the red Kia. The first one (6262) is nice, but could use a little cropping off the top, maybe half the distance between the horizon and the top. The second one (6264) is a nice panorama, but the car could be shifted a little more to the right, rather than in the center, that would be a little more appealing to the eye. On the third one (6268), nice focus but very off balance. With a car or a person or an animal, there should be more room in the direction the subject is facing, so in the case of this one, it would look more balanced if the car was on the right, facing into the middle of the shot, rather than on the left facing out of the frame. A lot of potential here. What camera are you using? Can you put a grid on the view to help compose the shots a little better?
Thank you for the nice compliments, as i said in a previous comment, some compositions are done with the intent of putting it in an Instagram carousel, here is the carousel associated with the red Kia. I'm unsure if it will compile well on here but on Instagram they slide and complete flawlessly. In the first image (6262) I was going for more of a negative space feeling but in retrospect the background is quite full so it didn't really work out so thanks for pointing that composition error out. Same with the panorama, i should have pointed the camera a bit better. I use a Canon 400D with a 50mm f/1.8 and occasionally a cheap 2x teleconverter from Fotodiox.

Attachments

• snowy kia_1.jpg
    snowy kia_1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 3
  • snowy kia_2.jpg
    snowy kia_2.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 4
  • snowy kia_3.jpg
    snowy kia_3.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 3
  • snowy kia_4.jpg
    snowy kia_4.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 3
  • snowy kia_5.jpg
    snowy kia_5.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 3
  • snowy kia_6.jpg
    snowy kia_6.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 3
  • snowy kia_7.jpg
    snowy kia_7.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 3
In the first set posted I liked the first image with the man walking in the street. The blues look very nice. As mentioned before, post one two or three from the same set for better critique. It helps if you are asking for help on technical or creative.
Welcome to the forum
Thanks for the warm welcome! That particular photo was a rare instance where the set is only one image but l'll make sure to group and divide better next time... and not just dump 50% of my work at once lol

I remember adding my Instagram handle so you guys can just search it instead but it seems my post to have been edited to fit the rules, anyways, here's some photos, sorry for the stir up! Any critique is welcome. If some photos have an off-center subject that's usually done with an Instagram carousel in mind, but I can't really explain it without showing you, lol.

(Had to compress some images a bit to upload them but it shouldn't cause any artifacts)

I don't normally start on someone new to the forum like this but then again, not everyone asks for us to critique their entire catalog.

42 images? Really?

Welcome" "Any critique is welcome" and all the posts like them are just plain lazy.
What I read on this type of post is "I'm too lazy to evaluate my own work and put in the time to learn where I'm going wrong so I can ask about a specific thing. Can you evaluate the entire image for me instead of just the part I need help with" Since that is what the poster is actually requesting.
The difference is that I could write a 5000 word post on how to improve a single image if I have no guidance on what the poster really wants. Seem pretty unfair that the person asking get's to post four or five words and then others are expected to spend all their energy to help.

My advice. Go back. Find one or two images per critique sought. Do your due diligence and find what is lacking or bothers you about the image and try again,

I don't normally start on someone new to the forum like this but then again, not everyone asks for us to critique their entire catalog.

42 images? Really?

Welcome" "Any critique is welcome" and all the posts like them are just plain lazy.
What I read on this type of post is "I'm too lazy to evaluate my own work and put in the time to learn where I'm going wrong so I can ask about a specific thing. Can you evaluate the entire image for me instead of just the part I need help with" Since that is what the poster is actually requesting.
The difference is that I could write a 5000 word post on how to improve a single image if I have no guidance on what the poster really wants. Seem pretty unfair that the person asking get's to post four or five words and then others are expected to spend all their energy to help.

My advice. Go back. Find one or two images per critique sought. Do your due diligence and find what is lacking or bothers you about the image and try again,
Well you don't sound quite welcoming, yikes.

Some people gave some really nice insight on what they would have done with some images. But calling me lazy because I'm simply asking for peoples insight and opinions other than my own? Really?

Firstly, do you really think I don't self-critique my stuff? Of course I do, everyone does. More input is always welcome and a closed-feedback system never works out so you always need other people's opinions.

Secondly, It's as if there's a rule stating I can't post more images than usual and ask for critique on them if anybody has any, is there? No offense to you but I don't particularly remember asking YOU for a critique, instead, I asked anyone, so if you don't have critique don't go dogging on me. And I don't really consider your advice as critique but as advice for the future, I will not be going back as I did not make a mistake. I won't be spreading out my already done and edited images over months of forum posts so you don't feel saturated by the amount of images, that's why I just posted them at once as it's quicker for me and everyone else.

Not like I'm lowering the general user's quality of use on this site with this one single forum post, that they don't even have to click on mind you. Given you're a staff member, you can do your due diligence and remove me as a user if you think I'm doing something against the Terms of Service.

Thanks again for your input, as anything is welcome.

OK--thanks for posting your shots (rather than just providing a link). It take some guts to share work you love or have some passion for (and you clearly have a passion for auto photography) and then tell people "critique it!" It's like telling a mother her new baby is ugly--or at least the risk of it.

Lots of photos, I'll start with the first batch and make comments on about 5-6 of them.
6168--man in the middle of the street--lovely composition. The orientation (portrait), the contrast (white vs. man in black), the long line (not quite a leading line): I like it.
I prefer 6264 over 6362, I think the landscape orientation works better. But clone out the telephone pole--it ruins the rural landscape and is distracting visually.
6286--lots to like about that photo but: clone out the telephone wire and also crop out some of the foreground. Some blur/bokeh there is fine but it dominates to me. Minimize that foreground.
017--clone out the head in the middle of the roof--it's visually distracting. The other two people near the front of the car work. They're admiring the beautiful Porsche and we can see much of their bodies. But the head I'm talking about--it's like the car grew a head with no body.

As for the light painting, I think that shows promise. But I think you need more of a plan. Maybe get some fibre optic cable with a red light (or red cable) and put "fire" all around the back of the car. Or use a light sabre to outline the car from the back. The light painting needs to be stronger, right now it's just "hm....those are some weird lights"--you've just scratched the possibilities here.

Secondly, It's as if there's a rule stating I can't post more images than usual and ask for critique on them if anybody has any, is there

I'm not aware of any specific rule on the number of images you can post, but as others have mentioned 3-4 at a time is the generally accepted number if you expect to get any legitimate critique.

Also, for future reference the Beginners Forum is more for general photography questions. For posting images look to the Photo Galleries for a specific subsection where critique is encouraged. For serious critique look to the C&C Gallery, but be sure read the guidelines for the thread and only post one image per post.

To the OP
I am not citing rules here just a personal view.
With the number of images you posted I was
“Where do I start”
I think the idea of four ish images is well for me about right so even with bad hands I can flick back and forth, view, think, and come back.
As I say this is just a personal thought, however if you say can I give my thoughts on image number …… then I would be happy to try and help.
At the end of the day they are your images and advice and comments from me are just what I feel and think.
If you decide “ no I don’t like that idea” then that’s ok
Katomi

OK--thanks for posting your shots (rather than just providing a link). It take some guts to share work you love or have some passion for (and you clearly have a passion for auto photography) and then tell people "critique it!" It's like telling a mother her new baby is ugly--or at least the risk of it.

Lots of photos, I'll start with the first batch and make comments on about 5-6 of them.
6168--man in the middle of the street--lovely composition. The orientation (portrait), the contrast (white vs. man in black), the long line (not quite a leading line): I like it.
I prefer 6264 over 6362, I think the landscape orientation works better. But clone out the telephone pole--it ruins the rural landscape and is distracting visually.
6286--lots to like about that photo but: clone out the telephone wire and also crop out some of the foreground. Some blur/bokeh there is fine but it dominates to me. Minimize that foreground.
017--clone out the head in the middle of the roof--it's visually distracting. The other two people near the front of the car work. They're admiring the beautiful Porsche and we can see much of their bodies. But the head I'm talking about--it's like the car grew a head with no body.

As for the light painting, I think that shows promise. But I think you need more of a plan. Maybe get some fibre optic cable with a red light (or red cable) and put "fire" all around the back of the car. Or use a light sabre to outline the car from the back. The light painting needs to be stronger, right now it's just "hm....those are some weird lights"--you've just scratched the possibilities here.
Thanks for the thorough look-through! I gotta admit I didn't even notice the head above the porsche in image 017 upon editing, it really does distract a lot. From what I got from your critique it seems I have to pay way more attention to the little things in the photo and do some cloning out work.
As for the light painting, It's really fun to do it but a bit difficult without any feedback from the camera lol. It's so old that I don't have a Liveview, it's just the viewfinder that I can use. If I remember correctly, I think I did that image with bulb mode, is that how light painting is done? Well other than the camera side of things my light painting can definitely be more choreographed.
Thanks again!

To the OP
I am not citing rules here just a personal view.
With the number of images you posted I was
“Where do I start”
I think the idea of four ish images is well for me about right so even with bad hands I can flick back and forth, view, think, and come back.
As I say this is just a personal thought, however if you say can I give my thoughts on image number …… then I would be happy to try and help.
At the end of the day they are your images and advice and comments from me are just what I feel and think.
If you decide “ no I don’t like that idea” then that’s ok
Katomi
I appreciate the concern, If I ever post here again I'll format my posts with just a single photoshoot.
I have another photoshoot scheduled with the Celica only this time it will be rolling shots so that will be new to me.
I love every opinion someone shares and I love a good conversation so there's no bad ideas to be shared.
Thanks Katomi!

I'm not aware of any specific rule on the number of images you can post, but as others have mentioned 3-4 at a time is the generally accepted number if you expect to get any legitimate critique.

Also, for future reference the Beginners Forum is more for general photography questions. For posting images look to the Photo Galleries for a specific subsection where critique is encouraged. For serious critique look to the C&C Gallery, but be sure read the guidelines for the thread and only post one image per post.
Thanks for the information regarding the Beginners Forum, the way I justified posting here is, well, I'm a beginner and I honestly expected my images to be beginner level but the seem to be quite alright. I'll post future stuff in appropriate forums.
Same goes for image amount, I'll simply post singular photoshoots instead of many.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back