What's new

I've commented on others, here's a couple of mine ...

Vinny

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
667
Reaction score
1
Location
New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still trying to figure out the new camera ... so many settings (maybe too many settings). Of course I have to complicate matters by buying a new photo editing software as well!

fogweb.jpg


skyweb.jpg
 
#1's really cool. I might try and take that branch out.. the blurry one on top. I love the atmosphere in this.
 
1 is really good in my opion. I like the overall feeling of it. I agree with reznap as well. That branch is really killing it.

For #2 I wish the sky were more blue. It seems underexposed and flat looking. A great area and compostion though so if you can get back out there and get different exposures...
 
Well I did the best I could with getting rid of the branch.

As for the sky in 2 - there was no color! I was coming home from work and the sky was greyish but the clouds were fantastic.

fogwebadj.jpg
 
Now that the top one's not there, you notice the ones on the top and bottom left. :) I think for the second one I would make it b&w and play with the lighting a bit, see what that does. And maybe crop it a little closer on the top.
 
I really like the first one, nice job taking out the branch. I like #2 as well, though I agree that the sky should have more color, and the foreground looks underexposed. I do like the shot though.
 
The edited version of number 1 is really good. I love the mood the picture conveys. Number 2 just doesn't interest me. There are too much sky, and the sky then isn't that interesting.
 
I actually prefer the branch - it frames the image nicely, and has direction - the top and bottom branches 'point' to the trees in the middle.

Perhaps dodge/lighten it, so it doesn't attract too much attention. Take it out where it touches the tree, perhaps; draw it back a little... but I suggest keeping it there. Subjective.
 
Thanks for the critiques!

I did play around with #2, first adjusted brightness and contrast, dodged and burned (very slightly) and sharpened & then converted to B&W. I tried playing around with the sky's color but I don't know how to change just the sky color without the clouds changing as well (at least at this point). I tried to crop as well but it came out looking like a panorama.

sky2.jpg


skybw.jpg


skybw2.jpg
 
As for the sky in 2 - there was no color! I was coming home from work and the sky was greyish but the clouds were fantastic.
I tried playing around with the sky's color but I don't know how to change just the sky color without the clouds changing as well
What's wrong with gray skies? You stopped to take the picture cause the clouds were fantastic (in spite of the gray sky). I would focusing on the clouds here and not changing the sky color. IMO, adding color to the sky is just added fluff.
 
I know you're thing says 'not okay to edit' but can I edit that second one to show you what I mean?
 
At this point, I've tried everything I could do to make the clouds "pop". I did play around with brushing on sharpening but it was getting too noisy. Could be the limitations of my photography, software or lack of knowledge in photo manipulation or combination of factors but I don't know.

As for the sky in 2 - there was no color! I was coming home from work and the sky was greyish but the clouds were fantastic.
I tried playing around with the sky's color but I don't know how to change just the sky color without the clouds changing as well
What's wrong with gray skies? You stopped to take the picture cause the clouds were fantastic (in spite of the gray sky). I would focusing on the clouds here and not changing the sky color. IMO, adding color to the sky is just added fluff.
 
4548635595_94293bd5dd_o.jpg


This isn't entirely b&w, but it's enough so that people aren't commenting on how dull the color of the sky is and paying more attention to the clouds and landscape.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom