I've up-skirted a flower - C&C

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
f/11, 1/250thth, ISO 100

Oh yeah, that's hot!

How did it turn out? Colours, composition? Exposed for sky, pop-up flashed it's underside (the flash might not be the only thing that popped up), revealing its hidden underside. Held my finger over 70% of the flash.

I touched it afterwards.

IMG_0395_edited-1 by Bokehliciousness-ness, on Flickr

RAW file processed and edited with Elements 9.

To see a few more shots, visit the flickr page, I'd be honoured!

-Compaq

(too weird?)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean :|

the shadowy presence on the clouds to the right of the flower stalk is what he's talking about if i am not mistaken. definitely a cool little exercise, but i would work on de-intensifying that flash more than using a finger. does kinda look studioish when you look at the difference from sky exposure to the flower.

That shadowy presence (which I just barely see, if I'm looking at the same thing as you) could be dodged away, right? I set the flash at its lowest intensity, and covered it with my finger. I don't have any equipment or anything else to do that for me. I improvised.

edit: OHHHHH, you mean that tree in lower right corner! I never thought that could look like the shadow of the flower head! Ahh, I see it now. Yeah, that's not the shadow, but the silhouette of a tree perhaps 10 meters away. I tried framing so that I wouldn't get it with, but it was impossible to not have the tree and have a blue sky as a back ground. It was overcast, and a little opening in the sky.

Ahh, I've been wondering about that shadow a lot!

Last edited:
A piece of toilet tissue drapped over the flash works quite nicely as a diffuser. I've done is many times. ;)

OK, a roll of toilet paper added to camera bad, LOL :) Thanks, good tip!

Looks like there's a shadow of the flower against the background, which makes it look like a studio shot with fake backdrops. I think it kills the shot.

I second this, it has a very fake look to it. I think it's partly the flash shadow from the front petals onto the rear petals that isn't helping.

Looks like there's a shadow of the flower against the background, which makes it look like a studio shot with fake backdrops. I think it kills the shot.

I second this, it has a very fake look to it. I think it's partly the flash shadow from the front petals onto the rear petals that isn't helping.

Any tips on how to prevent that? other than having more flashes ;) Or am I just facing the limitations of the in-came flash? Perhaps a reflector above the flower could solve the problem?

I'm just not feeling any love for this photo. That tree has to go! Sorry, wish I had something nice to say.

Most reactions

Back