J & T engaged a couple for C&C

willis_927

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't overly happy with the lighting conditions for this shoot (very flat lighting etc), so I tried something a bit different than I have normally done.. Does it work for you guys? Or a total miss? Just curious on your thoughts on these...

1)
IMG_0243.jpg

2) Similar to #1
IMG_0242.jpg

3)
IMG_0168.jpg

The angle on the third shot makes them look like a momma bird is feeding it's young.

Take this for what it is, I'm in no way a pro, but 1 & 2 all I can see are blurry faces, then my eyes go down to their hands and I say, "Oh, ok". I would just crop it to their hands, maybe up to their sleeves to save their joints or something.

Take this for what it is, I'm in no way a pro, but 1 & 2 all I can see are blurry faces, then my eyes go down to their hands and I say, "Oh, ok". I would just crop it to their hands, maybe up to their sleeves to save their joints or something.

I did the exact same thing. And the hands (in #2 at least, #1 is not showing up for me) are at a funny angle. I don't know why his wrist is extended which in turn puts her hand almost flat and I feel like I'm straining to see even see the ring (which I assume is the intended subject of the shot). I would have made more sense to me if his hand continued in a straight line from his arm and we saw more the back of her hand to really highlight the engagement ring. That also may not have drawn so much attention to the grease (or whatever it is) under his fingernails.

Also the big giant logo on his shirt is what grabs my eye in #3. I realize you have to take people as they come to you, but it would be a good idea to make clothing suggestions prior to a shoot (if, in fact, you aren't already doing so). Let them know that things like that will distract from their faces. Also the tilt in that one is too much in my opinion. Except for the watermark being upright, I can't quite decide if the picture was supposed to be in portrait or landscape.

All I can think of in number 3 is "Lady, you'd better step back. He's about to fall, and you're going to get squashed"
1 hurts my eyes, and I agree with Jace on 2.

So, let me get this straight, you had a bad natural light situation and instead of making it better with un-natural light (such as flash or strobe,) you decided to make it way worse...

# 1 and 2 are just ridiculous. #3 we just have to hope he doesn't fall over on top of her or she won't make it to the wedding. Hand in the pocket is also not very lovey-dovey.

Learn how to use un-natural light sources is all I can say.

I think the back lighting is a great idea but could have been executed better.

on 1 the lens flare is not really working. it takes away from the hands which are the focus. 2 is better but the hands are kind of flat so you dont really get the ring in your face. Maybe a tighter zoom in on the lens and then change the angle so you can still see the bokeh with them kissing. I actually like that. I wold try the photo in black and white also. It would be more timeless. 3 I would chunk. And tell your clients (the guy) not to wear old ratty t-shirts to their engagement shoot. Just looks cheap when you see it in focus.

Well you have a nice logo...

Ok, you aren't going to like this, but these photos are an epic fail.

1. The first somehow simultaneously is blown out AND underexposed. (Not to mention that the couple is completely unrecognizable).

2. Is blown out again, but a bit better. Fix the white balance.

3. Why do they have a hovering swarm of knats around their heads.

My advice would be to reshoot this. It's only an engagement (so far). Don't compound it by doing a wedding. You had the best light possible (natural light) and this didn't work at all. I'm sorry to say that, but just reshoot it.

Tell that guy to wear a plain shirt next time, the logo on it was the first thing I looked at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back