(jacob) Fake cheese.... better than no cheese?

A.M.Shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Welcoming your c&c here. Have at it!
Thanks in advance.
6888094369_88c403c474.jpg

6888093905_baa0e16471.jpg

6888089335_8f5d3a440e.jpg

6888085607_0e0cdb1ab2.jpg

6888089759_b8d012c14b.jpg

I marvel at your photoshop capabilities!
You really managed to remove the hooks on strings from the corners of his mouth very well!

He's incredibly underexposed in all of them. The skin tone is also inconsistent, ranging from green to blue to red.

he's screaming "gimmee off camera flash or at least reflectors"

I marvel at your photoshop capabilities!
You really managed to remove the hooks on strings from the corners of his mouth very well!

Lol thanks!! He's definitely my hardest subject so far. He has this fake smile.. that is absolutely terribly.. he call sit his "sexy" smile. Lol.. I'm like, "Oh, honey, no." God love him.

He's incredibly underexposed in all of them. The skin tone is also inconsistent, ranging from green to blue to red.

Alright, so what to do.. what to do. Reflector.. flash..quit photography and take up knitting?? Lol, thank you for your feedback, but can you tell me what you'd do to improve these? Can I help with editing for now?

he's screaming "gimmee off camera flash or at least reflectors"

Yes I agree. I plan to pick both up within the next week or two. D@mn budget ;) But for now, are there any pointers/advice you could give me? Is this being caused because I have the sun behind him? Should I have moved in the shadows instead? Would that have helped?

you could've moved him in a shadow plus used a reflector (or even a sun shield that goes on a car dash) to light him and it may have produced what you were looking for. even the direction you were shooting a reflector/flash would've helped

LOL. I'm an awful knitter, so I can't recommend you do that! I would work with the available light more rather than against it, in these pics your fighting to expose to the bright sunlight and still hoping to get his face light enough. You can put him in the shadows, or face him into the light. What are you shooting with? How much are these edited?

LOL. I'm an awful knitter, so I can't recommend you do that! I would work with the available light more rather than against it, in these pics your fighting to expose to the bright sunlight and still hoping to get his face light enough. You can put him in the shadows, or face him into the light. What are you shooting with? How much are these edited?

facing him into that bright sun is a blowout, unless the pics are for FB

I like photo 3 the best. :)

Also, if you need to lighten anything maybe try the dodge tool in photoshop with an opacity of 15% and just tap the eye area once and see if it helps. Idk if it will or not but something I would try and see. You could even tap the whole face with a larger brush if you want. It's something I would try, of course you have your dodge tool haters out there. ;)

you could've moved him in a shadow plus used a reflector (or even a sun shield that goes on a car dash) to light him and it may have produced what you were looking for. even the direction you were shooting a reflector/flash would've helped

Wonderful! That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!! I'll get back to practicing using these tips!

lol, phwew!! haven't knitted a day in my life. I would make such a horrible knitter.
Thank you again for the feedback, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Now only do I understand what I didn't do well.. I now know how to (hopefully) make it better. I'm shooting with a D5100. I have the kit lens, a 55-300 f/4-6.5 and a 35mm 1.8, and a 50mm f/1.8. I shot this with the D5100 and the 50mm f/1.8, I believe. Just upgraded from a D3100. I don't know enough yet to be comfortable going full frame.. nor do I think I'm ready. And also that's all my budget could handle at this point. Anyway, they're not edited too awful much. I use lightroom for initial processing, then I move into Cs5 for the final edit. Why do you ask?

A couple of those look like they are shot in the golden hour, which would make for stunning photos if done right.

I ask because your wb is inconsistent, so I assumed it must be the post processing unless you were messing with your settings during :) that can be fixed in LR or photoshop, I usually do a basic wb in ACR and then finesse it.

A couple of those look like they are shot in the golden hour, which would make for stunning photos if done right.

You are correct, they were. ;)

I ask because your wb is inconsistent, so I assumed it must be the post processing unless you were messing with your settings during :) that can be fixed in LR or photoshop, I usually do a basic wb in ACR and then finesse it.

I think every time you post I learn something new about my own photography, lol. I was messing with the settings, seeing what different ones did. I'm just starting to shoot in manual, so it's a work in progress.

My bad. The majority of the pics I see are blown where the sun is hitting, yeah I fully agree one or two appear in the golden hour but its no secret proper lighting techniques produce high quality pics.

My bad. The majority of the pics I see are blown where the sun is hitting, yeah I fully agree one or two appear in the golden hour but its no secret proper lighting techniques produce high quality pics.

Yes and no. You and I know about the golden hour, AM even seems to know about it, but she doesn't know how to utilize it (no offense AM!). I probably should've gone into more detail about what I meant with that though, you're right. As for the proper tech, I'd google it :p

Most reactions

Back