TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photo.inform.social
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One more shot from the Finnish Lapland.

DSC_1548-web.jpg

This is such an interesting landscape! How far away were you? You do a good job here capturing the vast expanse of this area. Looks cold, dark and intriguing!

This is such an interesting landscape! How far away were you? You do a good job here capturing the vast expanse of this area. Looks cold, dark and intriguing!
Thanks Terri!

I was standing on top of another mountain called Levi, which is approximately 16 km away from the mountains you see in the picture. To create this image I used my trusty old Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 + 2x teleconverter at f/14 (the lens is from 1990). This combo has served me well in these types of situations, where a shorter lens would not have been able to convey the vast expanse in the same way as you noted. Lapland is quite a magical place and I plan to return there whenever I can.

It's quite far up North as you can see (a 1.5 hour flight from Helsinki). :)

levi.png

Thank you!! I'm a bit of a map freak: I love to look and imagine full areas.

Your lens + teleconverter did you proud for this shot. It's not unlike trying to capture the majesty of places like the Grand Canyon: little choppy segments oftentimes miss the mark. Wide angles can distort.

Thank you!! I'm a bit of a map freak: I love to look and imagine full areas.

Me too!

Your lens + teleconverter did you proud for this shot. It's not unlike trying to capture the majesty of places like the Grand Canyon: little choppy segments oftentimes miss the mark. Wide angles can distort.

Thank you!

It is a trick I learned when living in a mountainous region of France. My old mantra had been that I use the "foot zoom" to get to the right distance from my subject. Well, that might work if I knew how to levitate or was into drone photography, as otherwise I might fall off a cliff and even if I survived the fall, the angle wouldn't be right. 😁

Many people think that wide angle lenses are the best tools for landscape photography. I partly, agree especially when you have something in the foreground you want to emphasize and use the landscape as a backdrop. Many times, however, you can benefit from distancing yourself from the subject and use a telephoto lens instead.

I guess it really depends.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back