Jeep Long Exposure

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5 on Nikon D7000 using LED flashlight to paint jeep. Longest exposure was around 2:00 minutes at F16 with ISO at 100 or 200. This was my very first long exposure. Try to focus at night wasn't easy so I had to use my flashlight to get the camera to give me the green focus dot. Any and all C&C welcomed.

Jeep_Night 8 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

Jeep_Night 7 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

Jeep_Night 4 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

Jeep_Night 3 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

Jeep_Night 2 by Jarrett_Hunt, on Flickr

I love automotive photography so this is right up my alley.

I think the background has correct exposure, but i'm not sure this background suits the car and your purposes, the city is nice but the fence is not so.

In car photography you should never face the tyre instead of the rim, turn the wheels the other way around next time.

The open door is distrubing, close it.

In framing I think your second photo was the best, you wan't to show both the side and front. But you lack some lightning at the hood and roof of the car.

I'm not a fan of the angle in the last three photos, seems like the car is falling off.

Patriot, you had me at Jeep. I got all excited hoping that it was going to be a wrangler all modified for rock crawling. But it's still a nice jeep.

a few quick tips...

Close the door! Does nothing for the pic, and disrupts the body lines of the car.
Turn the front wheels so that the wheel face is towards the camera.
Try to avoid breakneck angles and dead center composition (not always the case, but in these shots I would say so)

Nice job of painting the jeep! Exposures look pretty good! Nice job of blending the background and foreground exposures!

However.. framing... the drivers front tire is way too close to the edge of the image.

The last three are not keeping IMO, the angle is too radical, and the vehicle lights too bright.

and yes... close the door!

The second one is my far. I think you could have left a little more space between the tire and the bottom edge. But good for being stock car. Good job.

I don't usually bother with photos of cars, they all tend to come out rather lame however yours stand a bit apart of the herd. Not too bad but I agree with the above advice about closing the door. Loose the tilt, it's way too common and mostly never appropriate.

2 minutes at f16?

I don't think you need that long nor do you need to close your lens to a pinhole.

2 minutes at f16?

I don't think you need that long nor do you need to close your lens to a pinhole.

Sometimes painting with light requires a little more time than a normal exposure, and he may well have wanted clarity and sharpness on the buildings in the background, which would explain the aperture!

Last edited:
Quick question because I'm curious about your results. You had a 2:00 minute exposure, how much time did you spend painting the car? The car detail came out nice. I ask because I'm planning a similar shot with a building and night sky. I want to shoot a chapel with a star filled sky in the backgroud. Just waiting for the right conditions.

2 minutes at f16?

Sometimes painting with light requires a little more time than a normal exposure, and he may well have wanted clarity and sharpness on the buildings in the background, which would explain the aperture!

I light paint all the time, and have gotten clarity and sharpness with less shutter speed and a larger aperature, however, to each his own, I personally wouldn't do this for 2 minutes for that result.

2 minutes at f16?

I light paint all the time, and have gotten clarity and sharpness with less shutter speed and a larger aperature, however, to each his own, I personally wouldn't do this for 2 minutes for that result.

With a Sony? I wouldn't either!

With a Sony? I wouldn't either!

Oh that hurts, you're so bad-ass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back