Jennifer in the Studio

Nice series! Personally, I would have preferred if she showed a hint of a smile in one of the pics, but that's just me. I especially like shots 3 and 5. The composition of 5 really rocks

Good work!

Does the model have a favourite shot? (Because we're all hardest on ourselves, it's always interesting to see which shot the subject favours)

Very nice.

One thing I noticed in a few of them, is that the light is very even...there isn't much a ratio on the model's face. The first & the last do have a ratio, which helps.

Very nice.

One thing I noticed in a few of them, is that the light is very even...there isn't much a ratio on the model's face. The first & the last do have a ratio, which helps.

+1

These are pretty good, but too even.

#3 is a really nice shot, but would really have rocked at a 2:1 or 4:1 ratio.

My only personal nit would be in shot #1, and that would be with the posing......it looks like a maternity shot. I not saying she looks fat, but look at the pose...arched way back with the hand on the hip like that accentuates the tummy area.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. After looking back through the session, I'm guessing the even lighting was due to the model turning to and fro amidst the lights. Many have a nice ratio while others, like you mentioned, are pretty flat. I suspect that maintaining that ratio likely means preventing the model from moving around too much but any other tips in that area?
You can change the lighting pattern and the ratio, simply by moving the model, moving your own position or moving the lights. It's much more of a pain to move the lights, so remember to change your angle and not just have the model turning.

My only personal nit would be in shot #1, and that would be with the posing......it looks like a maternity shot. I not saying she looks fat, but look at the pose...arched way back with the hand on the hip like that accentuates the tummy area.

I have to agree with the above, she looks like she's actually pushing her belly and hips out and looks uncomfortable. otherwise, i like the shots!

Maybe try taking down your fill light.

When I set up for portrait lighting, the main light is as close to the subject as possible and the fill light is farther back. This is partially because I want the catchlight from the main to be big in the eyes and the catchlight from the fill to be small or non-existent.

In a basic light set up, the fill is placed at or near the same angle as the camera. The fill adds light to the whole scene. So the areas lit by both the main light and the fill light will be brighter than the areas lit only by the fill. So no matter how the model turns, there should always be a ratio. If there is a position/pose where the light on the model turns out even...then I'd suggest that the fill light is too strong.

Of course, there is no right and wrong. If that's how you want to light it, then that's up to you.

Most reactions

Back