Jewelry pics

I agree with the advice to use a different background, although I wouldn't necessarily shy away from white completely because that can look very good too. I would suggest using a plain backdrop because the texture of your current one is a bit distracting.

You might also want to use manual white balance and possibly give it a notch or two exposure compensation to make the background fully white; at present it looks a bit grey and dull.

Pete

I like shift's idea, glass could make a great effect, you can do so much with the lighting under of around the class. Also, shooting strait over the jewlery dosnt add...effect as much as maybe trying out an angle. But yea, ushing class you could darken the edges or lighten them, depending on the mood you want.

The only other issue that comes to mind is scale. I don't have a suggestion how to solve that problem, but I've seen shots of jewelry with everyday objects. They served contextually by providing a sense of humor, but also a sense of scale.

I've seen images of jewelry laying on crumpled $100 bills (tasteless and crude) as well as pieces presented draped around a large number of #2 pencils (fun!) In your case the Jewelry is already quite colorful, so something warm and solid-colored might work best... how about on coffee beans? Or lots of color, like Jelly-beans or Gummy-bears?

Something that I've seen in a good amount of jewelry shots is placing the piece on uneven ground or a small piece hanging off an edge of a small box while the rest drapes on the ground. Even getting a tube of some sort wrapped in black or white fabric does a terrific job.

I would say that ideas good, though I don't know if you want jewlery pics to be comic, I mean documentary style they might place something random next to it.
You could put a ring next to it or something, but then that takes the focus off the main object. I like the dollar idea, that could make it be done apear elligant.

It would look cool against black.

Rick

Most reactions

Back