Job Offer. No idea what to do.

You could start writing down questions as you think of them, find out all the specifics and give it some thought before agreeing to anything. Not sure how your photos would be used, in editorial work often a photo credit would be given but usually not for retail or commercial use, so I don't know if your name would be associated with the photos - if your cousin isn't in your area I don't know if this would generate future opportunities for you.

I was thinking too maybe try searching for escargot events in Philly, so out of curiosity I wondered what events do they have for this?? and found these. Don't know if what he wants photographed is connected with this -
More on National Escargot Day | Foobooz
More Escargot Day Happenings | Foobooz

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more workable for your cousin to find a local photographer? Sounds like fun if you're up for a trip but seems like this would be getting costly for him if he would be covering your plane fare, expenses, etc. and paying you. Seems like this depends on your relationship with him, and if you can get off work and school for the amount of time you'd be travelling and covering his company's participation in an event.

You could look on ASMP's site for info. on pricing.
Pricing Guides | American Society of Media Photographers

I'm joking man :)
I requested more info ASAP about the event. Unfortunately, they don't give this out by e-mail, it's only available by snail mail.

Prepare for lack of understanding.
Don't give them anything but finished images for their website.
If they only communicate by snail mail, they can't be depended upon to edit or finish images.

Lew, now I understand. I'm not the OP, this isn't my gig matey.

Before deciding anything, get your cousin on the phone. Find out exactly what he's expecting, and what you'll need to do to provide for his expectations, and then come back with that information.

If you're handing over a memory card at the end of each day, without having to edit anything, that's going to be priced differently than if you had to edit the photos.

And, if for some reason you opt against doing it, let me know. One of the best photographers I know lives in Philly...

I think you have hit the snail on the head there

As far as contracts go, RocketLawyer has a photography contract on their site.

got more info. everything is paid (flight, hotel, food) its in Boston not Philly, Id photograph the various restaurants I would be at, photograph some of the people working there (ill have to see if hes looking for actual portraits or just everyone working) and the food they are pushing out. Sounds easy enough. Just run the photos through light room for a quick touch up and ship it. $750 for three days of running around. Its not spectacular but it seems worth it and he would be willing to continue to use me for the event each year and as things get bigger and progress he would be willing to pay more. Its some event that he organizes each year. Also I will be able to take paid vacation from work so I would be making hourly wages on top of everything.

Edit: no studio lighting needed. Just photos using available light as they prepare and dish.

Last edited:
With expenses paid?

Sure, I'd do it; sounds like it would be fun. Plus, if you've never been to Beantown, it's a great city...

Most reactions

Back