Job Offer. No idea what to do.

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My cousin is in the escargot business here in the US and he asked me to photograph an event that he will be in. Its some international escargot thing in Philadelphia. He apparently tried to email me about it but I never got anything so this is just word of mouth through my father. He said that my cousin would pay for the flight and hotel plus pay me for each day of shooting. This sounds like it could be a lot of fun and I am happy for the opportunity however I am not sure what something like this would normally pay. I dont want to sell myself short nor over charge. If I went, I would probably mis a class or two in school and I would also be missing out on working my job (Lube Tech at a dealership. I dont make jack squat but work is work). I also dont have all the specific details yet directly from my cousin so this could all change or not happen entirely. I just wanted to get some input on what its worth and if its a good idea. My dad was all about the "getting my name out there" but that doesnt pay the bills. Exposure is great but a working man doesnt work for free.

Its some international escargot thing in Philadelphia.

I went to one of those and boy did it move a slow pace. ;)

What are they expecting in terms of delivered product and coverage?

not a clue. My guess is to use the images on his websites and what not. Also dont know how many days or how long the event is each day. I know its not much information to go off of yet but I figured the quicker I look into it and get some advise, the more prepared I would be to counter his offer or declined.

not a clue. My guess is to use the images on his websites and what not. Also dont know how many days or how long the event is each day. I know its not much information to go off of yet but I figured the quicker I look into it and get some advise, the more prepared I would be to counter his offer or declined.

Go with an hourly rate.

Should I write or have someone write up a contract on the use of the photos as well?

Before deciding anything, get your cousin on the phone. Find out exactly what he's expecting, and what you'll need to do to provide for his expectations, and then come back with that information.

If you're handing over a memory card at the end of each day, without having to edit anything, that's going to be priced differently than if you had to edit the photos.

And, if for some reason you opt against doing it, let me know. One of the best photographers I know lives in Philly...

Last edited:
^^^^ This. Don't make any decisions until you know everything.

I'm sorry, I must apologize up front for this joke .. but

did he email you via Snail mail or something ??

Business + Family = Disaster waiting to happen!
I don't know I think he should come out of his shell and do it. Sometimes you have to butter up the client but at least your family can be the rock you cling to.

I don't know I think he should come out of his shell and do it. Sometimes you have to butter up the client but at least your family can be the rock you cling to.

Too good! Hahaha

I requested more info ASAP about the event. Unfortunately, they don't give this out by e-mail, it's only available by snail mail.

I requested more info ASAP about the event. Unfortunately, they don't give this out by e-mail, it's only available by snail mail.

Prepare for lack of understanding.
Don't give them anything but finished images for their website.
If they only communicate by snail mail, they can't be depended upon to edit or finish images.

Most reactions

Back