Job?

MiKaLa119

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just a question for everyone...and please ignore if you feel I'm being too personal or nosy, just curious. What is your normal day-to-day job? Is photography you're job and passion? or a hobby? If this is your career, do you find it hard to make enough income as an artist?

I'm currently in the U.S. military, and have less than a year to go. So now's about the time when I should decide what I want to do with the rest of my life. Always been interested in photography and I'm currently reading a bunch of books, but don't have any "real" experience. I don't know if I want to take a couple years off and focus on school, photography, or being a simple bum... but... back to the question, What do you do for a living?

Well normally I'm a student, studying architecture. Over the summer at the minute Im working in a tax free Dixons (again)...woop de doop :confused:...hey its money! Oh, thats a comsumer type electronics store for any non-UKers.

And photography has always been an interest but more recently i have become more motivated to get into it more regularly.... so its a hobby becoming more of a passion really!!!

At the minute I don't make a living hahaha.... I'm student with lots of debt and getting even deeper! :D Ah who cares anyway....

i work in a supermarket for 37 hours a week. Im the vegetable man or fruit dude or however you wanna call it there. Im also following a homecourse, trying to become a vet-assistent, thats pretty nice to do. Only 2 more years to go for that :)
And photography is just a hobby of mine and i like it alot.
Greetz Daan

My fate was sealed doing sign language interpreting when i was 8 :mrgreen:
I met a good freind of mine who happened to be deaf, and i never shook of the awe of 'our secret language'. It's something that inspired me to go on and do it as a career, and love it!

As with photography, well it's only been an obsessive hobby for quite sometime, but in the future i do see myself taking on a degree, either in photogoraphy or another language, even both.

I like to learn and never restrict myself to one career at any one time.

I have an AA in photo, 2 years of school learning lighting, posing, etc for studio settings. Pulled a job right out of college. The money wasnt great but I was 22 at the time and it was enough to party on. I didnt stay in the camera room long though, didnt enjoy saying the same old crap to different people so I moved into a more artistic side of things. Now Im back at a studio but I work front office for a person I graduated with. I guess having a great sales background is good for something. Now I dont have to talk to High School Seniors about how they are going to change the world all the time. I just deal with the money. ;)

Since I dont shoot for a living now I have learned that I am much more able to pick up a camera on my free time. When I worked behind the camera I never picked one up on my days off.

I'm actually waiting for a call back from a LPS that I had an interview with. They really seemed like they wanted me back from everything the manager said and said stuff like "when I start" kind of stuff. So this will be my first real job with photography. The manager said he would teach me everything I need to know about developing to selling cameras and also learning soon to work in the repair shop. He said "Heck, I can even teach you to take good pictures". So, that's where I stand about to make a highschool career in a camera store until I graduate next year and can join the union and can become an Architectural Engineer and AutoCAD designer. That's where I plan on making money.

im a student getting a degree in Chemistry and German Language and Literature.
right now im working in a synthetic organic chemistry research lab doing research with a prof.
photography is just a hobby though i have started think that i might start doing art shows and selling my stuff. i think some of my stuff is good enough, but we shall see at my first art show when ever that is...

I have recently left university and at the moment i'm working as a freelance photographer with a number of companies whilw chasing a more permanent photographer position.

I teach Welding and Metallurgy at a Community College. Hope to revive my photo career during the summers.

I'm a buisness student in Canada. I`m also a team leader in a restaurant part time. Photography is just a hobby. I took two classes in high school.

I'm going to orient my carrer in advertising. Always was attracted by art and photography but knew it was a hard domain to be in. so I told my self in advertising i get to use my passion in my work.

I work as a print production artist in a book publisher, but photography is my love and someday I hope that photography will become my career and not just my hobby.

I'm a graphic designer for a music book publishing company. I did photography all through highschool and college as extra classes to have. Photography is just a hobby right now that feeds right into the whole graphics thing. Wouldn't mind doing photography for a living, just not at that point in my life yet.

Wow, such a diverse group of people.

Me, I'm an ambulance dispatcher (or EMD). It pays the bills (barely) and gives me enough time off to get out and about with my camera. Photography is a hobby for me, but I'd love to make a living out of it some day.

I'm a network administrator. I've always had a passion for photography and would like to pursure a career in it. Currently I'm working on wedding photography on the weekends. Just starting off though....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back