Jobs for the ametuer photog.

ooo thanks for sharing! Some nice ideas there!

Neat.

A 'hypothetical' situation: Let's say I were to pick, say, Popular Mechanics, and write an article, which was printed. How much could I expect to make off that?

Another: Let's say I just submitted a picture which was used. What price range could I expect to get off of that?

thanks!

Great article, thanks Ghoste

jknight8907 said:
Neat.

A 'hypothetical' situation: Let's say I were to pick, say, Popular Mechanics, and write an article, which was printed. How much could I expect to make off that?

Another: Let's say I just submitted a picture which was used. What price range could I expect to get off of that?

thanks!

Umm..lets see...well, first one, you send it to the magazine, if they like it they will use it and pay you...

And for this one, that really depends on the magazine, it doesnt really matter its used I dont think, but it depends if they want copywright or not...

One thing I have been doing lately, is going to local car cruises/shows, and taking photos, while leaving a business type card in their car saying that if they want to view/purchase photos of their car, to contact me, and it had my contact info... It works great, although people like that typically dont want to pay more than a couple dollars for a photo.

I have tried submitting photos to the news, and several times mine turn out much better than the ones their photographers take of the same event. the only problem is, I cant get my photos published in the news because the guy in charge is a big jerk (I have actually talked to him before, and he said submitting photos is screwing up his business with his employees.)

jknight8907 said:
Let's say I were to pick, say, Popular Mechanics, and write an article, which was printed. How much could I expect to make off that?

You can probably go to the Popular Mechanics' website, or their publishers' website, and get that info.

Rates vary from publication to publication. It has a lot to do with their circulation.

ksmattfish said:
You can probably go to the Popular Mechanics' website, or their publishers' website, and get that info.

Rates vary from publication to publication. It has a lot to do with their circulation.
Interesting. I'll check it out...

thanks for the link- interesting read,

ive actually been thinking about this kind of thing lately and i thought it'd be a good option to get sport photos of events that the newspapers photographers cant be at (there are only 2 photog's for the local paper here) so i thought if i got good results they could be printed?
does that sound like a decent option?

id like to hear any other ideas for the amateur to get paid from photos (to pay for new equipment)
anyone have other good ideas?

Real Estate Photography: Realtors always need photos of properties they are selling for websites and ads. They don't want to pay pro prices, but they need decent pics.

Band Photography: Well, musicians never have any money, but you can get into the show for free, and maybe free beer. I shoot my favorite bands for free, and let them use the pics, but if they ever get famous, the label has to hire me as official band photographer. ;)

ksmattfish said:
I shoot my favorite bands for free, and let them use the pics, but if they ever get famous, the label has to hire me as official band photographer. ;)
Do you really have that on paper?

Oh wow, I'm glad you guys liked it, I didn't think anyone would care. It got me thinking on what I can do to make a buck. I'm thinking about going to alot of local sports meets for highschool and shooting (Soccer, Baseball, Swimming). I heard from a photographer he shoots alot of soccer games and all the parents come up to him and say "Hey.. uhh.. did you happen to get a shot of my son, number 13?" And he says "Actually yes I did." He runs to his car where his laptop is hooked up to a printer and prints the photos out and gets payed right there! Sound good to me =p. Anyone else do anything like this?

Oh yeah, and about how much your wondering you will get payed; My friend (an english major and drummer) wrote an article on "To drum teachers on how to teach." He sent the letter into Modern Drummer and few weeks later the article was used with a $500 check in the mail =). So that was a few page article with no photography, use your imagination =D

I have quite a good idea but I haven't tried it yet. So, there is a preliminary school in the nearby and I know that every year, when the end of the term comes kids have a huge party. Thy are taken by their teachers to the local disco, they are dressed in funny clothes and they have a great time there. I'm going to talk to the school headmaster if it is possible that I'll be shooting on the party. I don't want to charge anything before. Just kidds and their parents will be able to purchase prints or CD with the pictures burned. At the begging I'm not going to chare alot, just to make my name as a photog visible.

i think real estate sounds interesting- im not interested in actual real estate but it sounds like easy work, i might get a few pictures over the next few weeks and then get in contact with a few of the realtors around here to see if any are interested. Then i guess when they have a property to gets phot's of i might get a call.
Thanks for the idea- seems like a really good option for me to get into

well but do you think that non-dslr digi cam like fuji s5000 would be enough for earning a few bucks out of photography??

Most reactions

Back