Joe's attempted another flower...

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
In fact, another rose! I would like some serious critique, if you have any, becuase I am trying to get something that I can proudly hang on my wall beside this: http://www.deviantart.com/view/16437336/

I hung it up today, and realized that 1 picture isn't enough for our big walls...Please let me know what y'all think :)

Roseforum2.jpg

Hi Joe,
Of course you are way better than I am, so take this for what it is worth. Maybe it is just me, but the red seems really bright. Which I know you must have been going for, but if you are seriously looking for something to hang with that other picture, I think this is going to over power it.

Aoide said:
Hi Joe,
Of course you are way better than I am, so take this for what it is worth. Maybe it is just me, but the red seems really bright. Which I know you must have been going for, but if you are seriously looking for something to hang with that other picture, I think this is going to over power it.
Actually, I didn't do any work to get the color so bright...that's just how it came out. I tried to do a B&W for that very reason, but it didn't look right. I'll try a half desaturated version, maybe. Thanks!

i like how the white background brings out the red! and red happens to be my favorite color so i absolutely love it! nice work!

clarinetJWD said:
Actually, I didn't do any work to get the color so bright...that's just how it came out. I tried to do a B&W for that very reason, but it didn't look right. I'll try a half desaturated version, maybe. Thanks!

Yes, I bet the black and white didn't look right. I'd be interested to see a desaturated version.

I like the bright red against the white background. The red to me is perfect, not oversaturated at all. It could maybe use a little contrast to darken up the shadows on the pedals just a bit.

The only thing that bothers me about is the compo. It's angled to the left and part of it is cut off. It's kind of like leaving space in front of something in the direction it's moving in? Does that make sense? I like the empty white space, but I with it was on the left of the frame and not the right?

I don't like the desaturated really. The original is good however the gray stuff at the upper-right of the flower is somewhat distracting. I'm ok with the comp, its no overly or anything. If you were to try B&W try using channel mixer and maybe making the red's lighter in the conversion.

darin3200 said:
If you were to try B&W try using channel mixer and maybe making the red's lighter in the conversion.
Good idea. I was using a gradient map before, because I was getting lazy :lol:
I'll try that today.

Most reactions

Back