John sees everything

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
but might not particularly like it.

10.jpg

I posted this about a year ago, but I redid the processing to bring out more detail.

hey, this picture is amazing! I would pay to to teach me your photoshop skills..haha good stuff man

How did you "bring out more detail."

Smart Sharpen and High Pass?

Forgive me if you think this comment is unneeded, but in my honest opinion, the Dave Hill/Dragan post-processing style is simply a fad.

Forgive me if you think this comment is unneeded, but in my honest opinion, the Dave Hill/Dragan post-processing style is simply a fad.

So is dieting, but that doesn't make it bad for you.

Having said that, I am a definite slut for these types of photos.

So is dieting, but that doesn't make it bad for you.

Having said that, I am a definite slut for these types of photos.

You misunderstand my point. But I'd rather not derail the thread. So...okay.

i agree, i thought i was the only one that thought that

i agree, i thought i was the only one that thought that

I suppose I'll bust out my obscene condescension with regard to that one. From what I've seen, people tend to love that effect the first few times they've seen it. After that it gets old rather quickly. People who don't get over it, either through endless attempts to copy it or persistent admiration of it, I think are positively stupid.

I agree that the effect is overused. I mean, I totally thought it was cool Max, at first, but now it's just getting old, repetitive, and ho-hum. The shot isn't bad or anything, but like, you know, it's just another over-processed BW portrait.

I think it's a fad too but having that out there, I'd love to know more about how it's done. I have read the post and I've done a little research on it... but I really haven't taken the time.

As an "art form", I think the technique behind it is noteworthy. This is a good shot, for what it is. I'd like similar work in my portfolio.

Kudos!

With or without all the processing, I think it's a good image nonetheless.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I respect your opinions, max, but for clarification, Dave Hill's images are much smoother, and would be impossible without strobes. Every single one of his photographs with his signature look on his website is in color.

I was not trying to emulate Dave Hill, Joey Lawrence, or anyone for that matter. If I were, it would look more plasticly and would be in color with at least a single key light and would have kickers on each side of him. I recognized the advantages of the HDR process into revealing more detail in landscapes and cityscapes and applied it to portraits. I've never seen an HDR portrait photograph processes similar to what i've done to this extreme.

This is like selective coloring, some like it, some hate it.

As an "art form", I think the technique behind it is noteworthy. This is a good shot, for what it is. I'd like similar work in my portfolio.
Kudos!
I agree to what you are trying to say. It doesn't have to be a fad, some techniques just draw attention when they are first introduced by their virtue of looking distinct. But overtime as many of you point out, it gets old. So merely using the technique wouldn't be enough anymore, you need a level of mastery over it and at same time make it purposeful for the idea you are trying to convey.

Techniques are just tools for composition, that say I don't think you should add bad connotation to it just because people have the tendency to use it as a gimmick.

Well if Dave Hill is using it as a gimmick, he can go and laugh about it all the way to the bank! Good grief, he's making a killing on his work.

I should be so lucky! I love the look of HDR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back